“Great Base for Exploring The Islands”
Review of Maidith White Cove

Maidith White Cove
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was a lovely relaxing place to spend our time in the Galapagos Islands. The food was excellent and the views from the deck area amazing!

Breakfast with a sea lion at your feet is surreal - this place is a whole world away from reality. The hotel is next to the Darwin Research Centre and there are some great places to swim with turtles and sea lions just a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Thank you SO very much for helping to make our vacation, to the Galápagos Islands, a magnificent experience!! We loved our room, next to the sea lions, when we returned from Isabella!!! I'm well aware of how a travel agency can help to make or break your treasured time away from home and Red Mangrove truly helped to enhance an already incredible group of Islands. Every detail was met with professionalism and care to help make everyones vacation one to remember, in a wonderful way; from the Island flair in each of the rooms, the dining experience to the members of the staff and knowledgable guides. I'm so very glad we decided to take a chance with Red Mangrove; you run a top notch vacation destination and tour!

Room Tip: Loved our room looking at the sea lions resting area!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

If you get the chance to stay here, definitely go for it. I have never stayed anywhere so comfortable, and the place is simply divine. There are sealions sunning themselves on the deck/terrace area. This means that you can sit and eat your delicious breakfast whilst watching the Galapagos wildlife, very relaxed just a couple of metres from you. Absolutely incredible, I just couldn't believe it. Snacks and drinks are always on hand, and the food is delicious - buffet style normally to give you a really good choice about what you would like to eat. Room was clean and spacious - I couldn't recommend it more. Really good location, as you are just a short walk away from the main shops and the small town, and you can even rent a bicycle from the hotel which was a lovely way to pass the evening.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 'Naranja' room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My only complaint would be the very erratic internet otherwise our stay was perfect. We had stayed one night before going to Isabela and there was a problem with the toilet. When we returned after our stay on Isabela we were given an upgrade to a beautiful room with two balconies and a huge bathroom. The sleeping comfort is excellent and and the included meals were very good. Red Mangrove is located a short walk from the populous section of Puerto Ayora so it is very quiet but still very convenient. Free bicycles are available so we borrowed two to cycle to the entrance to Tortuga Bay and also to have a ride around the town. I think that the tour we were on Darwin's Footprints is organised by Red Mangrove and we thought that it was very good value. One of the guide's English was very laboured but he tried so hard. Most of the other guides were very good and some of our tours were just us and the guide, very personal service. Not to be missed is the trip to Los Tuneles on Isabela Island. A fabulous place to stay, not overly luxurious but you don't want that in this kind of location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a waterfront room otherwise you will need insect repellent
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed in both the Diver's Lodge and the main hotel. The Diver's Lodge was very comfortable with everything that we needed. The main lodge was lovely with views over the ocean and a lovely deck. The food and restaurant staff were great . They catered to our every need and were so friendly. The front desk staff and manager were incredibly accommodating and helpful and really willing to listen. Our guides on all our excursions were very knowledgeable and fun to be with. We also stayed at the Lodge on Isabela which was very nice. It is a smaller facility but we were very comfortable there. This experience in the Galapagos and the activities and personnel they offered to support us made this an unforgettable experience for all of us.

Room Tip: The upper floor for all of the Lodges are the best rooms. Ask for an ocean view in the Main Lodge a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just returned from my trip to the Galapagos, and had read most of the reviews here on trip advisor. I was afraid, very afraid. I don't think any one left much out except that you could not flush the toilet paper which put me over the edge!! The rooms were decent, not anywhere near your five star, however, the staff was exceptional. Diane and Renan were the best and I could not ask for anything more. The Manager was very accommodating and got me things that were not provided in the rooms. Do I recommend this place? Only if you are on a budget I think this place would do. The food was better here than I expected however, I did not try to many places I thought this place was safe and would not cause me to get sick. As for the room, it consistently smelled of mildew and the shower handles were rusted the bathroom always felt moist. I was in the Gaviota room on the 1st floor, but I traveled with some other people and the rooms that they had were not as bad as mine so I suggest that you get a room on the upper levels. The pool was small and not for swimming. There was a laundry around the corner that could wash your things because you are gonna get dirty so that was a plus. So if you are on a budget this is the place for you but if you are able to splurge a little I would stay in the adventura lodge where the main hotel is.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2013

With the accolades that the Red Mangrove claims to have earned and with the price we were paying, we believed that we were in the hands of the best tour company in the Galapagos. On the contrary, the Red Mangrove was the most unprofessional and most deceitful tour Company we have experienced in all of our travels to date.

Upon arrival of my belongings at our hotel room after our transit from Isabela Island back to Santa Cruz on our last day of our trip, I realized that my cell phone had been stolen out of my luggage during transit, during the time when Red Mangrove staff had complete possession of my belongings. I immediately reported the theft to the front desk where I filled out a claim form and was told that I was going to be reimbursed for my stolen item. I spent the next few weeks attempting to handle the reimbursement in the utmost professional and orderly manner, just to be met with the passing of my case from person to person and no real answer or solution. Nearly one and a half months later, I was met with an email response that stated that we were responsible for our own items even while they were in Red Mangrove’s complete possession and care and that I would NOT be reimbursed.

In addition to the theft that we experienced, we also learned that an intruder entered another guest’s room during the middle of the night during the week that we stayed. The staff did not show any remorse or concern for the attempted robbery; there was no effort made on their end to remediate the guest’s troubles or assure the rest of the group that extra security measures were going to be taken.

Whatever you do, do NOT choose Red Mangrove as your tour company doing your trip to the Galapagos. If you do, rest assured, your entire trip will be ruined by theft and deceit. They are taking advantage of the tourists who were made to believe that they are the best tour company in the Galapagos. Do not support their cause.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple