My wife and I booked a trip to Peru and The Galapagos Islands for our 25th anniversary. I wanted something special and didn't want one of the Galapagos cruises that are typically offered. As the only 5 star property in the islands, we opted to stay at the Royal Palm resort so we could return to a room each night, go at our own pace and enjoy the surroundings.
I selected one of the villas on the property which offered us a large bathroom, screened in deck with jacuzzi hot tub, sitting room with fireplace (if we needed it) and very large bedroom with a king size bed. The staff at the Royal Palm were very attentive and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. On our 25th anniversay, we returned from our daily excursion to find our villa decorated with hibiscus flowers along with a complimentary bottle of champagne.
The food was served in a separate restaraunt and the menu changed daily to accomodate fresh fish offerings or other special preparations by their chef. We received excellent service by staff that spoke multiple languages, including English. The wine menu was excellent and there is a stocked bar if you want to hang around after dinner for drinks and conversation.
The property itself was beautiful, filled with tropical plants and flowers and very well maintained. You feel as though you have the entire island to yourself. It was set back from the main road by several kilometers which assured privacy and tranquility but still offered a view of the ocean and nearby islands in the distance. The weather was decent for our stay but the resort is located in the highlands of Santa Cruz and most mornings were foggy or drizzly but this usually cleared off early. Most of the time, this was a non issue as you take a local taxi to Peurto Ayora for boat rides to explore nearby islands and as soom as you drive about half way into town, the elevation changes enough so you don't have any rain to contend with. A taxi ride to Peurto Ayora is about 20 minutes but only costs $10 (USD). The town is small but there is shopping, restaraunts and a wonderful fresh fish market to visit while you are there. The resort has a health club, swimming pool and tennis courts but we didn't have time to use these due to all the other activities we had planned. The staff also offered us spa services including massages with a 60 minute notice but we didn't have time to take advantage of this service on this visit.
I would highly recommend staying at the Royal Palm resort if you are looking for a land based itinerary while vacationing in the Galapagos Islands!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Palm Hotel is a private family-owned hotel enjoying the quiet seclusion of its own 190 hectare estate in the lush Miconia Highland Forests of Santa Cruz. Located adjacent to the Galapagos National Park, the Royal Palm was built in 2002 and combines elegant colonial style with traditional island design. This boutique estate comprises 21 Casitas and Villas including family accommodation; the largest villa is named in honor of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales who stayed at the hotel in 2009. The hotel has the relaxed and informal charm of an Ecuadorian Hacienda offering a unique sense of natural space. The Hotel is a member of Leading Hotels of the World and is the perfect location for both land and sea exploration of the Galapagos Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Palm Hotel Santa Cruz
- Royal Palm Santa Cruz
- Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos Galapagos Islands/Santa Cruz