“Good for Santa Cruz”
Review of Hotel Gardner

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Ayora
Hotel Gardner
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a few problems here, mostly due to noise when on the lower floors, but it's still the most reasonably priced place we've seen. Unfortunately, that noise comes from the hotel next door, so there's nothing Gardner can do about it.

The young woman who runs the desk in the morning is incredibly kind and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandon G

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Definitely a hostel not hotel, this has been set up incorrectly on Tripadvisor.
We stayed here recently as a group of friends sharing a large 5 bed room. For $15 each per night for bed, wifi and hot water we didn't think was too bad for Galapagos. The wifi works best on the rooftop terrace. No breakfast included despite there still being signs up advertising times available?!? Great location though

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank NaiomiMollie
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After shopping around for a while looking for a mix between central location, affordablility and room quality, I choose for Gardner.

They offered me (as a single) a large high floor triple bedroom with lots of windows, so there was a bit of a view and a breeze at night thanks to which I didn't needed to use the aircon. Together with a decent price, I was happy with it and slept well.

Still my rate is less than average because it just was just not a clean place, the floors awefully sticky and filthy. The showerwater did not really sink, or just very slowly. The rooftop patio "praised" in LP is potentially great but the owners left it totally rundown. The hotel is in need of new owners who clean it thoroughly, and refurbush it. But that would come at a price.

Until then, some good bargains can be had for travellers who are easy sleepers and can look away from the downsides.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I booked a tour from a Quito Travel Agent with a Hotel and they put me in this Hostel instead of a Hotel. Legal issues pending. Rooms 6, 5 and 4 are an extension of the reception and day and night people walk by yelling and laughing. I was in room 4 where you can NOT lock the windows to the hallway, the A/C is connected with an extension cord along the wall where you sleep. The curtains can NOT be fully closed and people walking upstairs have a nice view of you laying in bed etc. The bathroom needs a major scrub down. The local travel agent JOY BE on the main street did not follow my request to be moved to a Hotel, so I cancelled the remainder of the package. Legal issue pending too, they have my money for the whole trip and i filed a claim with the local tourist office. BE AWARE!. The Hostel moved my stuff out of room 4 without my authorization. They forgot to move my Samsung Galaxy charger (value $35). After i tried to connect my S.G. i realized it was missing. I walked over to the Hostel and they searched in some drawers while another person left the Hostel and came back with my charger. NOT recommended at all, watch your belongings. MeuterMedia

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MeuterMedia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

One of the cheapest hotels on santa cruz, so don't expect too much. Rooms are a bit shabby, bathroom always wet, air conditions outside make a lot of noise all day long. Though, its in the city centre, people are nice and water pressure of the shower's good! You get what you pay for!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed at the Gardner for 4 nights. I had room 3, which had a ton of natural sunlight. The bathroom was big, but always wet. The staff didn't speak ANY English. Our AC broke one of the nights. I left a pair of studs on a shelf while scuba diving and they were gone when we got back. I confronted the receptionist and she didn't seem to care. I waited for the guy that cleaned the rooms and confronted him and he claimed ignorance.

Don't stay here... for the value it isn't worth the in and out AC, non english speaking staff and THIEVES!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Abarnett118
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ok. It's quite clean, the rooms are big. The location is great, everything is in walking distance. But the wifi doesn't work and the staff doesn't speak English.
This hotel is one of the cheapest in puerto ayora. So for this price it's quite ok what you get.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#20 of 21 in Puerto Ayora
Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel
Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel
#2 of 21 in Puerto Ayora

Been to Hotel Gardner? Share your experiences!