My wife and I stayed at Semilla Verde for 7 nights and had a fantastic experience. It is no mistake that this place is ranked as the top B&B in the Galapagos. The best part is that Robert wants to keep improving the guest experience and continually seeks guest feedback on how to make their stay even better, before, during, and after their stay. This attitude and desire to take an already top ranked B&B to an even higher level means guests will no doubt enjoy their stay at Semilla Verde and it will likely remain ranked #1 for the foreseeable future.
We arrived at Semilla Verde after a spending a few days on Isabella (less populated Galapagos Island and thus less food and restaurant choices) and eating virtually the same food at every meal, we were hoping to find more variety on Santa Cruz. We were tired of having white rice and french fries as the only side dishes on the menu and we stay away from artificial and/or over processed food (like white rice), so our dietary wishes are a bit more strict than most people. Robert was happy to oblige our request for some different breakfast items than they normally stock and we were allowed to show Evelyn and Gladis (the friendly housekeeping staff) how to make french toast and pancakes using oatmeal vs. the normal box mix. They were more than willing to adapt the regular menu to meet our requests, which made us very happy. We had dinner at Semilla Verde one night and Robert/Daysi had no problem using one of the grains we suggested and in fact, Robert mentioned that Semilla Verde is happy to cater to guests wishes in order to for them to enjoy the experience more (this is why they will stay #1).
Semilla Verde is situated in the highlands, which allows for a very peaceful and relaxed environment. You won't see all the people from the cruise ships at port roaming the streets or hear the noise from all the activity surrounding the touristy souvenir shops...things my wife and I really appreciated. The property itself is very nice, clean and the rooms are comfortable. They have a good selection of books and movies to enteratain guests as well. We only had one clear night to fully appreciate the night sky (might have had something to do with the season we visited), but it was an amazing view. The walkway around the grounds provided some great proximity of truly wild tortoises in their natural habitat. One thing not mentioned on Semilla Verde's website is that they have an exercise room that guests can use. Don't expect a full gym, but there is a universal machine, elliptical, and bar with a couple plates.
On our way home, we discovered that we left our house keys somewhere in the Galapagos. After a quick email from the plane to Robert, he reponded immediately with confirmation that they were still in the safe at Semilla Verde. Once we got back to the US, Robert emailed me and proposed the idea that another guest there from the US, that we had met, could bring our house keys back and mail them to me once they got home. I agreed and so did they, which made our life a lot easier (thanks a ton Bob and Elaine if you are reading this - someone tossed the envelope with your address before I had a chance to write a real thank you note). Robert offered to pay the shipping even though it was clearly my fault that I forgot what I put in the safe. In an effort to avoid this sitaution for other forgetful travelers, I suggested to Robert that he put in dividers or bags for each room in the safe so when people leave, everything is cleared out whether they remember what they put in there or not. His response was somewhere along the lines of...good idea, we've already implemented it.
If any of our friends or family make it to the Galapagos, we will definitely recommend that they stay at Semilla Verde.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Semilla Verde is an exceptional hotel with the customs and personality of a traditional guesthouse." We believe your experience in the Galapagos Islands should be as unique and natural as you are. So, here at Semilla Verde we offer you the chance to stay somewhere far removed from your busy life and the standard hotel offering you may be used to. We invite you to step into another world, the original Galapagos, the true and enchanting islands. And, to experience the wonders of a rural forest dwelling and life alongside the unique wildlife you came so far to see. Your stay will be based in an original and idyllic rural retreat where peace, privacy and Galapagos wildlife abounds. You will enjoy one-to-one personal service, traditional home cooking, panoramic views from private terraces and exclusive access to nature trails through twelve acres of private forest where giant tortoises lumber freely and native birds thrive. At night, gaze up into the unspoilt majesty of the milky way. Nine comfortable en-suite bedrooms with AC, WiFi and DVD just 15 minutes taxi ride from Puerto Ayora town, costing just $7 e/w. All in all, an authentic and genuinely friendly and authentic land-base for your Galapagos adventure and an all encompassing alternative or add-on to a traditional cruise ship experience. Semilla Verde works with a local tour agency to offer complete hotel & tour package options too. You will visit outlying islands and local sites with qualified naturalist guides and experience first hand the beauty of Galapagos and it's unique flora and fauna - from giant tortoises and lava lizards to marine iguanas and playful sea lions, from volcanic landscapes to cloud forest. Return to the hotel at the end of an incomparable day and share your travel stories around the main dining table with other guests, whilst enjoying dinner freshly prepared in our kitchen. Indeed we don't work from a fixed menu rather we generally prepare one recipe for the group, but each guest receives a serving according to their individual preferences. The location is secluded but convenient and very safe. There is not another residence within hundreds of meters of this oasis. Semilla Verde remains true to the philosophy on which it originally built for good friends and family, ensuring a level of intimacy, small number of employees offering very personal service and home cooking your will only find in a traditional guesthouse. Semilla Verde comprises two hotel builidings some 100ft apart - the Semilla Verde Lodge (Rooms 1-6) and the Finch Wing (Rooms 7-9). They can work in unison or as separate entities for separate parties. betwen the two there is a fully equipped yoga studio where you can enjoy individual or group practice. Galapagos is famous for it's volcanic landscapes and unique wildlife, but it can also be somewhere for you to rediscover your true and unique nature, somewhere you can feel yourself again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Semilla Verde Galapagos Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz