I just returned from a week staying at Semilla Verde on Santa Cruz. This was my second visit to the Galapagos. The first time was on a ship, this time I decided to try a land based stay. We booked over the internet with Robert the owner, who was more than happy to answer a million questions that we (3) bombarded him with. Finally we arranged an entire week long tour through him. We had two rooms at the lodge, both were gorgeously appointed with tv/dvd players, wifi (a little slow but due to the island not the lodge) private patios, pretty decor. The property is located near the town of Puerto Ayora on a coffee plantation. It is lush and tropical, set on a hilltop offering a nice breeze at times from the sweltering heat. You are welcomed to roam the property that has many interesting plantings and huge Tortoises roaming the property. Robert made us feel welcome as soon as we arrived. He arranged transport to and from the airport which was flawless. He pays for all taxi rides to and from town, which is just a short ride and only $6 each way. He also arranged all of our tours which were really great, including scrambling to get us on a last minute tour we decided we really wanted to take. One of the other great things about staying here are the meals and staff. He arranges family style sit down dinners with all of the guests, so you get to meet fellow travelers. The food is outstanding. Robert's wife and a couple of other ladies prepared really gorgeous dinners and breakfasts. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruits, granola, yogurt, homemade fresh juices, then the ladies ask you if you want eggs and bacon and will prepare it to your liking. Dinner is also a treat with interesting and tasty meals beautifully prepared and presented. I would highly recommend this place if you are interested in a land based stay on the Galapagos. Thanks Robert and Daisy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Semilla Verde is an exceptional hotel with the customs and personality of a traditional guesthouse." We believe your experience in the Galapagos Islands should be as unique and natural as you are. So, here at Semilla Verde we offer you the chance to stay somewhere far removed from your busy life and the standard hotel offering you may be used to. We invite you to step into another world, the original Galapagos, the true and enchanting islands. And, to experience the wonders of a rural forest dwelling and life alongside the unique wildlife you came so far to see. Your stay will be based in an original and idyllic rural retreat where peace, privacy and Galapagos wildlife abounds. You will enjoy one-to-one personal service, traditional home cooking, panoramic views from private terraces and exclusive access to nature trails through twelve acres of private forest where giant tortoises lumber freely and native birds thrive. At night, gaze up into the unspoilt majesty of the milky way. Nine comfortable en-suite bedrooms with AC, WiFi and DVD just 15 minutes taxi ride from Puerto Ayora town, costing just $7 e/w. All in all, an authentic and genuinely friendly and authentic land-base for your Galapagos adventure and an all encompassing alternative or add-on to a traditional cruise ship experience. Semilla Verde works with a local tour agency to offer complete hotel & tour package options too. You will visit outlying islands and local sites with qualified naturalist guides and experience first hand the beauty of Galapagos and it's unique flora and fauna - from giant tortoises and lava lizards to marine iguanas and playful sea lions, from volcanic landscapes to cloud forest. Return to the hotel at the end of an incomparable day and share your travel stories around the main dining table with other guests, whilst enjoying dinner freshly prepared in our kitchen. Indeed we don't work from a fixed menu rather we generally prepare one recipe for the group, but each guest receives a serving according to their individual preferences. The location is secluded but convenient and very safe. There is not another residence within hundreds of meters of this oasis. Semilla Verde remains true to the philosophy on which it originally built for good friends and family, ensuring a level of intimacy, small number of employees offering very personal service and home cooking your will only find in a traditional guesthouse. Semilla Verde comprises two hotel builidings some 100ft apart - the Semilla Verde Lodge (Rooms 1-6) and the Finch Wing (Rooms 7-9). They can work in unison or as separate entities for separate parties. betwen the two there is a fully equipped yoga studio where you can enjoy individual or group practice. Galapagos is famous for it's volcanic landscapes and unique wildlife, but it can also be somewhere for you to rediscover your true and unique nature, somewhere you can feel yourself again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Semilla Verde Galapagos Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Semilla Verde Boutique Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz