Open today: 06:00 - 22:00
Review Highlights
Fabulous way to see this wonderful part of the world

My husband and I are not people who ever use travel agencies. We do all of our trips ourselves... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
334phyllis
New York City, New York
Don’t forget to visit here

Take at least 7 days to get a little bit of the feel of the Galápagos especially on a small cruise... read more

Reviewed 15 January 2019

from US$1,568.97
from US$550.00
from US$2,355.19
More Info
All reviews vip lounge land based tour santa cruz local economy la casa de marita day trip vip treatment every evening restaurant recommendations baltra airport sea lions blue footed boobies isabela island great trip stayed nights inter island flights pick ups
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We recently returned from a trip organized by Galapagos Alternative. We spent three nights in Puerto Ayora and loved it. We stayed at La Casa de Judy and Galapagos Suites. Both are super places to stay. Judy and Joselyn were both so attentive and always there to help and make sure you have everything you need. Liz and Paola attended to our every need and made sure we knew each night what time to meet the next morning, what to wear and what things to bring along. We loved the Isla Grill, Garrapata and Tintorera. We did a tour of the Highlands, Las Grietas, and day tripped to North Seymour to see the blue footed boobies and the frigate birds. Luis was our guide for north Seymour and he was super. We stopped in Bachas Beach on the way back and snorkeled and walked on the beautiful beach. We toured the Charles Darwin Center with the free guide that you pick up at the entrance. He added so much to it. We could have walked around it ourselves and wouldn't have gotten anything out of it, but our guide knew so, so much, that it was very interesting. We planned to take a plane to Isabela, but it wasn't working, so we went by boat. I don't recommend it in July, as the seas are very rough, but we made it and Jill promptly refunded us upon returning. Isabela is beautiful and quaint. We stayed at Albemarle. We didn't Love the hotel, but the views can't be beat. I would recommend Iguana Crossing if I were to do it again. We recommend El Faro and Fogata for meals. Both were excellent! We went to Los Tuneles and had the best snorkeling of my life. We snorkeled with sea turtles, manta rays, indian rays, tintorera sharks, fish, starfish, sea lions, etc.... Los Tuneles is like another planet. We had to step over the blue footed boobies, as they weren't the least bit concerned with us being on the trail with them. We flew back to Santa Cruz, which is a short plane ride. The itinerary was action packed. We felt every day was an adventure. They treated us well and were able to rearrange things when needed. I like the idea of a land based tour better, as you are supporting the local economy and you get to see the people who live on the islands. We recommend Galapagos Alternative.

3  Thank profeMinnesota
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Galapagos Alternative provided us with a dream wildlife viewing vacation! The itinerary was ideal, allowing us to observe blue-footed boobies, frigate birds, sharks, and land and marine iguanas. Marcos led an enlightening tour of Santa Cruz Island, while Carlos took us on an amazing day of snorkeling off of Isabela Island with sea turtles and sea lions, as well as several schools of fish. The accomodations were beautiful, and the breakfasts were delightful. Joceline at Galapagos Suites was especially gracious. Guides and local advisors met us every step of the way, and we never worried about what/who was coming next. This is the way to see the Galapagos, as well as benefit the local economy. Perfection!

2  Thank Selene J
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We loved every minute. G/A helped us set up all of the things we wanted to do and left us on our own when we wanted. An island based tour is the best for the local economy and you get to really know the locale. Plus there are delicious restaurants to try!!! Our local advisors, Rita in Puerto Ayora and Janina (sp?) in Puerto Villamil were great...helping at the airports, wetsuit rentals, adding a day tour. We got all the help we needed, when we needed it and felt like we were on our own the rest of the time to just enjoy this wonderful trip. Our guide Marco on P. Ayora was very very good. Galapagos Suites was excellent as was Casa de Marita. You will see all the things you want to see and not feel herded like a boat tour. Between islands you can leave extra gear and all the gifts you bought for folks back home with G/A in P. Ayora and they will have it all waiting for you at the airport in Baltra when you're headed out.

5  Thank 637MichaelS637
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Jill and Javier of Galapagos tours created a wonderful 8 day tour based on what my daughter and I wanted to see. It was an experience of a lifetime visiting the islands and seeing all of its unique wildlife. We were able to get up close to some giant tortoises and to also snorkel several times with sea turtles, sea lions, tintorella sharks, sting rays and various fish. The 2 hotels they arranged were both exceptional with clean rooms and helpful staff, I would highly recommend Galapagos Alternatives for a trip to the islands. Staying on land with the freedom to explore on foot or via organized day trips for snorkelling or for boat trips to other island was the way to go.

Date of experience: April 2013
2  Thank Reilly W
Reviewed 6 July 2013

A visit to Galapagos Islands was on my bucket list and I had always planned on doing a ship based tour. One of the members of our group came upon the GA website, proposed the land based experience and I am so glad we went this way. The experience of staying on the islands and mixing with the locals was a big plus for the trip. From arrival the GA folks were friendly, efficient and willing to help in any way. We had the right mix of activities with a little time free during the day and then our evenings to explore the islands. We were set up with great guides and had just the experiences we wanted and more. We spent time on both Santa Cruz and Isabella. I felt that having our days planned and organized really maximized our time and yet we were with different guides and sometimes other tourists which gave a variety of experiences.
I can't say enough about Jill and Javier. They were tested by an unforeseen health issue that arose with one of our group and they gave 110% to assist us over the course of several days. I left feeling like they had a great business going but more than anything when you're so far from home it is good to know that you're not just a client but someone they really care about!

Date of experience: April 2013