“Clean rooms, nice little courtyard!”
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #15 of 56 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Nice place in a friendly neighborhood, cool little shops nearby, even a laundry down the street that washed, pressed and packaged our HUGE bag of laundry for $12.00!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We planned a stay at Hotel Espana as a quick overnight stay between arriving on the Galapagos Islands and heading out on a cruise.

We arranged to have a "driver" pick us up at the airport. For the price... you could probably do it yourself and save some good cash, but it was nice not having to struggle to get your luggage on the bus at the airport and have him do it. (Cars don't go onto isla Baltra)

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Esther, the owner who explained all the various amenities (A/C and TV were all we really cared about) and showed us up to our rooms. As a group of 5 we stayed in two rooms - one a triple and one a double. I can only speak to the triple, but it was nice and the A/C worked really well - meaning it was a great escape from the hot humid weather outside. Beds were comfortable. The view - nonexisant, but we didn't book it for the view. It was about a 2 block walk to the "Tourist Strip" of Puerto Ayora where we could wander a bit and enjoy the environment. Esther gave us the helpful tip that we should go AWAY from the tourist strip for a cheaper/good meal. Admittedly, it looked a little scary up the other way, but Puero Ayora is actually a wonderfully safe area of Ecuador!

My one gripe while there was our shower... pressure was good, but when you turned it up, the water started spraying out the SIDES of the shower head, rather than through the nozzle - when we brought this up the next morning, Esther dispatached someone to deal with it. I imagine it was better for the next folks.

The only other problem was pre-booking the hotel. You had to pay by Western Union or Moneygram. Both of these services charge a significant surcharge for their use. It would be REALLY nice if you could use Paypal or even better (but probably unlikely) a regular Credit Card.

On our departure, Esther called the taxi and then made absolutely sure that they sent a bigger truck to take us (and was quite vocal with the company). She was a superb help!

Overall, if I were staying multiple days in Puerto Ayora, I would be happy to stay here and have them help with the bookings of various day trips etc. Very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DragonSpeed
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I would not write this review, except what happened to me didn't seem like an isolated incident.

They quoted me the same rate for a room with a/c and wifi, as the place where I had already spent two nights. I wanted to move, only because I couldn't get wifi connection from my room (later I found out that most hotels in Galapagos Islands has wifi connection only in their lobby area.) They showed me room #12, and told them their rate with wife & a/c. Room smelled a bit moldy,but I told them that I'd take it for 3 nights beginning the next day or the following day. I went back the next day with a Spanish speaking friend to confirm the rate. There was a guest in the lobby who spoke fluent Spanish/English, and he helped to confirm the rate/availability also.

On my first day at this hotel, I found different types of hair between the sheets. I asked them to provide new sheets and helped the employee to swap out the sheets. Had a bit of communication issues however, and they did not clean my room at all for the entire stay. But, not a big deal there.

While I wasn't going to move again, but their wifi didn't work at all; the entire I was there and their a/c went out frequently also. My original hotel had wife at the lobby, but this hotel had no wifi period. The owners kept promising "tomorrow" or "after 4pm today" etc, but it never worked. Other people were complaining also. Their drapes were way thin to filter out hallway lights. Don't know about other rooms, but my room was very noisy. There was a huge cockroach dying in hallway (was moving a little bit), but no one bothered to clean it up.

My return trip home was going to take about 20 hours. I intended to take a nap after breakfast but before heading out to airport. Just so I had time for a nap, I chose to get a taxi rather than a bus. When I went down for breakfast, they asked me to pay right away. NO problem. But, I noticed that their bill was 50% higher than the original quote. I told them that I had witnesses and that they did this to another person too. But, they tried to collect more money. Long story short, I ended up giving them what was left of my cash. I was also very unhappy because they they kept on knocking at my door while I was trying to take a shower. I had told them already that I'd come downstairs in a few minutes. Money itself wasn't a great deal, but what they did completely ruined my memory of this trip. I suffered all the way home, because I didn't have a dime to buy me a bottle of water.

Interestingly, there had been a lady in my previous day's tour group who had said that this hotel demanded more money than their original agreement. She had to check out of this hotel sooner than she had planned, because of it. She had to store her luggage at the travel agency until she came back from the day tour - all because of this hotel operator.

If anything, this hotel owed their guests refunds for broken a/c and non-working wifi. I don't think there was any miscommunication in room rate, because I went there twice and there were other witnesses. Along with the other guest with simliar experience, I must conclude that this hotel might be pulling this on some guests intentionally.

Room Tip: Not a tip for a good room, but you should get a written quote for pricing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank roadtrip201031377
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had stayed 2 nights in Sir Francis Drake but they were doing roadworks & it was very noisy, so after a few days in Isabela, and after visiting many places in the centre of Puerto Ayora, we decided to spend our last night in Hotel España. don't expect luxury, but expect very good value. The hotel is very centrally located & has very good breakfast. We were lucky with the rooms, as we were a couple & they gave us a room for 5 people, so it was extra-spacious, on the last floor, quiet & relaxing. When going to our room we noticed that other rooms had a kind of window leading to the main corridor, which isn't very nice. Make sure you see the rooms first & you choose a nice one (there are plenty) and you'll be ok. With the crazy prices you can find in Galapagos, it's good to save some money while still staying in a nice place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel felt more like a hostel than a hotel and wasn't anything amazing. However it was a comfortable place to be based and the location was fantastic; really close to the main street where all the bars and restaurants are so this was a big advantage. Given the central location, it was also a very quiet place to stay.

The standard of cleanliness was very good and the beds comfortable but the curtains in room 15 where we stayed were very light and as there were external nights on all night, the room was very bright and it was difficult for me to get to sleep because of this. The wifi only worked in the area around reception but the rooms have air conditioning and TV's with cable channels.

The breakfast was disappointing with no choice and you got what you were given but what do you expect for $3! Like some of the other reviews I would recommend going somewhere else for breakfast.

The staff were really helpful and so friendly and the hotel offered lots of excursions if you need help planning trips during your stay on the island.

This place is perfect for shorter stays of 2-3 nights and is reasonably priced at $40 per couple per room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Biffro
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I spent 3 nights here while visiting Santa Cruz. For being in the mit of all the bustle, I was very pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was at night. Good air conditioning and a fan also! Pleasant common area for relaxing or using internet. Basic, but clean and helpful staff. I would stay here again if you were not looking to be right on the beach or away from all the town bustle.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jim P
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Hotel España is a jewel of a hotel in the heart of the Galapagos' main town, close to everything. It is tucked away behind the buildings on the street with a small garden to welcome you with hammocks and greenery. The rooms have air conditioning, are clean with comfortable beds. Hot water may or may not be available but with the hot weather we got used to refreshing showers. This is one of the most reasonaby priced places to stay in Puerto Ayora.The staff is friendly (I received chocolates and flowers for my birthday) and helpful. Breakfast is available ($3) but we preferred to go to the Rock or Il Gardino. Deposit for the hotel must be made through Western Union which may seem awkward to those of us used to instant networking but after all this is the Galapagos and they should choose their own pace. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: if you are a couple ask for 'matrimonial' to get a double bed. The rooms 22 - 28 are larger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple