“Disco 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. ! on the right sight of the building”
Review of Palmeras Hotel

Palmeras Hotel
Ranked #42 of 57 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014

O.K. Avoid rooms 401 ++ above the restaurant and the Disco. Breakfast with lot's of goodies starts at 6:30 prior to your island trips. I stayed 4 nights in room 113 (single bed, nice and clean with small TV - Spanish) the room was below the
staircase and flooring to the hotel restaurant (2nd floor), lot's of running school kids very noisy - shouting etc. at 10:30 p.m. I tried to find the supervisor to have them intervene, since the reception desk night clerk didn't seam to care. It was quiet after 11 p.m. I only recommend this hotel if they lower the prices $100 for two is a joke, (I paid $50 for the single which is high too) and you can view the room including location prior to booking. There is a 4 story building on the backside of the hotel. the construction has stopped as for so many other failed projects in the neighborhood. I had to move from a very bad hostel that was booked by "Joybe Travel" in town. Despite the fact that I was told I would be staying in a Hotel. The local tourist office helped me with a small refund. MeuterMedia

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to Disco!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here with a group in February, and found it generally adequate for its price class (the group trip was on a tight budget) - especially as everything is fairly expensive in Galápagos … as one might expect for a place 600 miles offshore. We stayed there for a few nights mid-week … which, perhaps was the reason we had no issues with the disco noise others have reported. Location was good. Food was generally adequate and palatable … wouldn't go any further than that. One morning, they had insufficient breakfast for our horde of hungry teenagers, which caused some issues with the group around mid-day. My room was adequate; air-con worked (though noisily) and the bed was clean and comfortable. HOWEVER .. the bathroom situation was close to disgusting. As is the case in many parts of the world (not just Latin America, and in high-end hotels as well as this type) plumbing is not designed to carry toilet tissue, so one is asked to put it in a basket next to the toilet. That's not the issue … the issue here was that, instead of a can with some kind of cover, this place had a completely open wastebasket with just a plastic bag liner. Add to that the odd fact that the exhaust from the air conditioner blew through a dropped ceiling into the bathroom, and the situation was close to nauseating. I needed to keep the bathroom door shut all the time, and when I opened it … Also, the "sliding" doors on the shower enclosure were completely nonfunctional, meaning water spilled on the bathroom tile, which made it extremely slippery. Would not repeat.

Room Tip: Find a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank YussellMA
Reviewed 8 November 2013

the noise caused by the discotheque is terrible, I claimed in reception but they said is the discotheque from the hotel, so there was nothing they could do. People were not kind and didnt care what was happening. Also the drunk people made a lot of noise screaming outside the discotheque.
the breakfast wasnt nice, you can have something better in places near the hotel.
i needed a tea at night but the restaurant was closed.... so I was very desapointed and next day changed to another hotel. Make yourself a favour and dont stay here.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms located in the back of the hotel, not the ones located close to the street
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Victoria b
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed here in March 2013. They had dinner on-site which was good food (home made flavor). They also had a pool on the property. I had an issue with my toilet which was promptly resolved. The bathroom was a bit cramp in my room, however, my dad's room had a much more spacious bathroom. Overall it was a fine. It had close proximity to a nice 'downtown' area and the dock to take boats to other islands in the Galapagos. I would stay there again.
A word of caution, if you are on a higher floor, be careful walking up and down the steps as they are a bit steep and sometimes wet from rain.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The hotel layout was appealing. Nice outdoor lounge to gather in and chat. Our stay included food, which I thought was pretty good. The room was minimal, but fine for me. What I didn’t like was the noise. I went to bed early the first night, because I was exhausted from travel. My exhaustion, however; didn’t help me sleep through the disco music. I was awakened at midnight by music that seemed to be right outside my room. I could even hear the patrons calling out at times. I tried to ignore it and go back to sleep, but could not. I got up and dressed to see if I could figure out where the music was coming from. To my surprise, it was coming from a disco in the hotel not 50 yards from my room! I went to the front desk to ask when the music would stop and was told that the disco closed at 3:00 AM! When I mentioned this issue to our tour guide, she told me that her company had complained, but the management did not care about the inconvenience to his “guests.” With that kind of an attitude, I wonder what other guest needs the management would wave off?

Room Tip: Take a cruise and stay on the boat instead of on the island.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura F
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel is well located and clean. Accomodations are very simple. Restrooms are small in the rooms. If you are looking for comfort, this is not the place. Overall it is an OK place to stay, but simple. Service is OK, for example, the air conditioning in our room did not work the first night. We reported this and next day it was working OK. They did not provide enough toilet paper, but diid so when asked. Location is very good since it is within a 5 minute walk from the main port, restaurants and bars.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel caters to groups. We were part of a group and were treated well. The meals didn't vary a whole lot, but they were tasty and you could go back for seconds, if still hungry. The rooms were very small, but clean. The rooms near the Discotique were quite noisey at night, avoid them. The pool was very warm (over 80 degrees F). The location was good. A very short walk to "downtown". For a group this place was fine. For a couple or single, maybe not so good.

Room Tip: Away from the Discotique and away from the road
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
#7 of 21 in Puerto Ayora
Angermeyer Waterfront Inn
Angermeyer Waterfront Inn
#3 of 21 in Puerto Ayora

Been to Palmeras Hotel? Share your experiences!