“great dive day”
Review of Dive Center Silberstein - CLOSED

Dive Center Silberstein
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive with us into the spectacular and fascinating underwater world of the Galapagos Islands, one of the last natural paradises on earth. Discover nature at its purest and most original form, while following the footsteps of Darwin. See what is seen only in dreams...Each and every dive site around the islands ranks among the best and most impressive destinations in the world. Diving with pelagic fish and large sea creatures gives divers one of the most spectacular experiences possible. Encounters with different species of sharks, mantas, rays, whale sharks, marine turtles and sea lions are typically seen on most dives. With some luck, dolphins, marine iguanas and penguins can also be seen underwater!To give guests from around the world the opportunity to dive in this "natural aquarium", Hotel Silberstein in Puerto Ayora opened this Dive Center in February 2006.
Reviewed 5 March 2015

we dived at daphne minor and mosquera with the dive center silberstein it was a very good day.
only 3 diver, the guide and the captain on the boat we had plenty of space the guide did his job and all the staff was very friendly.
after the two dives we returned to the dive center and had lunch in the silberstein hotel witch was very good.
highly recommended!

2  Thank Felix Z

Reviewed 27 February 2015

during our two weeks on the Galapagos we did 7 scuba diving day tours. we went to seymore and dafne with Silberstein. Very friendly and professional welcome. equipment is organised stored and well kept. because we were only my friend me and another person on the tour it felt very private and we had the whole boat and guide for ourself. the diving was amazing, super guide. enjoyable tour. oh yes and what a treat having lunch not on the boart like with all the other tours, instead we went to the hotel restaurant in town for a nice lunch. i can highly recommend silberstein dive center

1  Thank it_is_PASSiON
Reviewed 8 January 2015

The diving was fine but the operation of the shop is spotty. Maybe we were asking too much of a small place, but for the money we expected more. The shop was never open. We always had to go over to the hotel and hunt someone down. We had some trouble finding the right fitting gear and surprised they did not have better stuff. The other dive shops had full stocks. My boyfriend can be forceful and ensured that we had the right gear to stay safe. I am not as strong a swimmer as he is so we just wanted to look out for me.

We had to talk them into providing us with dive photos and then for free. All the other dive shops offer free dive photos and their overall diving prices are cheaper. When we were finished we had to wait over an hour at the landing for our ride to come. When we returned to the shop our dive master disappeared without any instruction. We had been told we could have lunch at the adjoining hotel but nobody helped us. Further, nobody gave us our photos. Later that night we had to go back to the hotel and had a long discussion with the manager before one of the other dive master’s appeared, Alex, who was not out on our dive, and argued some more. We eventually had a few photos put on a CD. It is not so much the photos but the principle of what we asked for and following through.

Our dive site was Gordon rocks. The morning of the dive the crew was late and we thought we had missed them. Of course the dive shop was closed. The dive was actually pretty great. We went out to Gordon Rocks and had two dives where we saw a school of Hammerheads, white tip sharks, turtles, sea lions and other countless fish. The diving was difficult, very deep and strong currents. I was not completely comfortable on our drift dive, and our dive master was very watchful. He took my hand a few times to pull me along. My boyfriend also had to save me once from being swept into some rocks. I ran out of air on both my dives which was difficult. I’m a small person, 5’1’’ and 100 pounds and was working my tail off. I have never run out of air before. Actually, I ended up sharing with the dive master once. My boyfriend also thought the air compression was a bit low for the dives we were doing.

5  Thank Kristine C
Reviewed 7 December 2014

This was our last dive on our around the world trip and it was one of the best we ever had. One reason is the big school of hammerheads we could enjoy twice, the other was our diving guide Alex. We met him the day before the dive to organize all and had time to try on our equipment and he gladly answered our questions and even organized an additional 15 liter tank for me because I'm sometimes low on air. At the day of the dive we had bad luck and one of the two motors of our boat didn't work properly. Alex instantly offered us the same trip for the next day. But for us that was not possible, so he proposed that we could go there with one motor, it would mean more time, but not less safety, since boats from befriended dive centers would be close in case of problems. So we tuckered to Gordon Rocks, a difficult dive with unpredictable currents. Despite the difficult conditions during our dive we felt all the time protected by the watchful eyes of Alex, who gives assistance whenever needed and doesn't earn extra money with filming like guides of other dive schools for safety reasons.

1  Thank Matter P