“No no no no! You won't sleep much here.”
Review of Hotel Salinas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Ayora
Hotel Salinas
Ranked #50 of 54 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Nashville
“No no no no! You won't sleep much here.”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

You don't want to stay here unless you have to. We made the mistake of arriving in Puerto Ayora and not checking TripAdvisor about options. If you stay here, expect to hear LOUD party music throughout the night. The walls will not help you. The beds are terrible and worse than you would expect for a cheap place. The shower is also terrible and there's no hot water. The only redeeming quality of this place is it does serve a fairly basic but decent breakfast. Yes, I know it is super cheap, but you can do much much MUCH better for a few dollars more.

Look elsewhere...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gerry A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
New Zealand
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is the worst place we have ever stayed in... ever! We just wanted a cheap place to crash and get some wifi after a week offline.

Puerto Ayora is not cheap, but for $30 a night for two people we thought it would do for a couple of nights.

Here are the highlights...

- The beds and pillows smelt like bodies
- They had loud music in the kitchen and different loud music in the court yard. We were between the two and the clash of sounds was torturous and went on for about 9 solid hours
- Some of the male staff are friendly but useless, the old lady is obnoxious and rude and useless
- It is a constant party/social occasion for the family who run the place, they are loud and goes on all day and late into the night and starts again at 6am with the kids.
- A huge number of children ran around playing and shouting for about 3 hours
- There is no insulation at all from any of the above noise, it is like they are in your room
- Our smoke alarm went off at 4am for no reason
- At 6am a bunch of kids had a raging argument outside out bedroom door
- At 8am a father berated his kids for about 20 minutes again outside our door
- We opened a drawer in the side cabinet and it was full of rubblish
- We checked under the bed as we checked out and it had a thick layer of dirt and rubbish that had not moved for months, maybe longer
- We walked past the staff chatting away and sit in the bar ready for the included breakfast, it took them 20 minutes to come and serve us and after we finished, our noticed our table hadn't been cleaned up 4 hours later.
- You can get the wifi signal in the room but it is so slow you can't use it at all

We had paid in advance for 2 days, but we just couldn't stay there after the first night. The son was very accommodating but the old lady couldn't be bothered changing the book to give our money back. She is a very angry woman!

We decided to leave the island early and head to Isabela and we are so happy we did, for $30 we have got a lovely hotel room on the beach. If you are in Santa Cruz pay the extra money and stay somewhere else - Salinas has the worst service of any place we have ever been.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible away from the noise. The higher you go the more expensive it is, but on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kungfukitty_oz

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Ayora hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I arrived in Puerto Ayora after a cruise, and I had no reservation because I hadn't decided if I wanted to go straight to San Cristobal or stay one more night in Puerto Ayora. Well, it turns out that I happened to arrive on a night that was particularly busy, and many places were full. I just wanted basic accommodations for one person so I went to Hotel Salinas.

Where to start... We had a power outage, only one out of the three electrical outlets worked, and the noise level was unbearable. Groups of travelers hung out in the courtyard until well past midnight, shrieking and laughing. My window did not close all the way so I was not able to attempt to block out some of the noise. I am not a picky traveler and I don't expect much for budget accommodations, but I paid the same price in other places in Puerto Ayora for much nicer rooms compared to this shabby run-down room.

Avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2013

If not for the $10/bed we were offered (we are a group of 6 backpackers) we would've gone elsewhere. The rooms we were given were clean, had a bathroom, tv, and fan. The water pressure in the shower and sink is pretty good, but there's no hot water. The toilet however is a different story. For some reason, the pressure is bad and they don't flush well. So if you have a number 2 to release, it's better to use the toilet attached to the onsite bar/restaurant.

Internet speed is slow, but that not surprising given it's slow almost everywhere in Ecuador. What's really bad about the wifi is that the owners seem to turn it off at night, maybe to save electricity? And then the rude owners (esp the woman) is not helpful at all. Honestly, I think she might be senile or something. When we checked in, I asked her for the wifi password, and she said I don't need it cause it doesn't work. But then I asked one of the staff (also a member of her family) and he was helpful and gave me the password for the wifi, which was indeed functioning.

More about the rude owners (as in the elderly couple)... the old lady is by far one of the most unpleasant, rude, and dumb people I've ever met. When asked to borrow a bucket so that we could flush the toilet, she responded very rudely that we shouldn't throw toilet paper into the toilet as if it was our fault instead of just giving us the bucket or offering to fix the problem. And when I asked her if there are any ATMs on Isla Isabela she said in Spanish "yes of course there are". Thankfully I asked someone else, because there are no ATMs on that island.

If you can get a very cheap room here (ie $10 for a dorm bed or less than $10/per person for a private), go for it. If not, go elsewhere. And while the elderly couple should honestly not work in the hospitality industry, the rest of the staff are quite friendly and helpful.

For more information about Ecuador and other destinations, please visit www.backpackerreport.com

Room Tip: Don't take a room near the restaurant. The family makes a lot of noise starting at 6 in the morn...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I'm lying on my bed in salinas right now, awake since 6.15 when they turned on the music down in the comunal area (theres no window but just mozzie net in our room). The staff just doesnt care about being quite early in the mornings, they whistle, scream to their kids etc. The 38$ for our really spacious room is ok for this location. Rooms are cleaned every day. The included breakfast is 2 slices of bread, coffe and a fruitjuice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Honolulu Hi
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The accommodation is less than basic. The bathroom was flooded and looked very unsanitary. The lady at reception was the grumpiest, least friendly person I had ever met. I wanted a single room. She showed me to a room with two beds and warned me sternly to sleep only on one bed. Why the hell would I need to sleep on two beds for? I asked her for the wifi password and she told me to come back to reception to get it, which I did. She scribbled the password on a piece of paper and gave it to me. There were about ten available wifi connections so I asked her which one it is. She sighed and shook her head and acted like I was asking her to borrow money. And she mumbled something inaudibly several times. I asked her if she could write it down for me. She shook her head and acted very irritated. At this point, I was very pissed and yelled, "Cual es?" She finally was taken aback and, with great efforts, wrote down the name of the connection for me, which didn't even work. This was probably the first time in my life where I felt so terrible spending the money with someone.

Room Tip: Best tip is stay away from this place. Any other place would be a better choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Wow, it is important to find a place where the people are welcoming and tell the truth about prices. This place is horrible. It is common practice to negotiate price when arriving at the last minute so this is what I did (in a friendly way). The son gave me a good price ($45) for a double bed with AC and breakfast. When we went down to get breakfast the next morning, we were told by the lady who runs the place that we had not paid enough and breakfast was not included and that we would have to pay another $6. Of course I said that this is not what her son had said but after arguing with her for about 10 minutes we just left. This place is totally unwelcoming, rude and clearly don't care about their clients. It is also on a noisy street and you can't block out all the light from the street lights. There is a hostal right across the street called Hostal Liria which looked just as nice, I would try there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple