“needs work on service”

Ranked #24 of 54 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“needs work on service”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Flamingo Hotel is great value for what you pay. We paid $30 for a single room with private bathroom and full size bed. The lobby and main hotel is very nice. It looks like it's been remodeled recently. The cheap rooms are further in the back outside.

The reason that this hotel is only getting 2 starts in mainly the service. The front staff never seemed all that friendly and were not very helpful. I didn't catch the names with any of them, mainly since they weren't friendly or talkative, so I'd hate to categorize them all into the same group since there are likely multiple front staff members that work there. I tend to remember the service of places that I stay more than the quality of the rooms b/c I think that's how business can stand out. I've stayed at very cheap and very expensive places, but I remember the interactions of the people the most.

Overall, room is good for what you pay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband & I had been stumbling around town trying to find something in our price range &/or something we could pay for by credit card. Hotel Flamingo looked outside of our price range from the lobby. However, the lobby and above hotel are pretty nice (I think? I didn't look in a room) but behind, they have a budget hostal. They offered us a room for $25 a night with consistently hot water & daily maid service. & they accepted credit card. What?! We were happy.

This is the cheapest I found anywhere on the Galapagos. I heard that another hostal offers beds for $10 per person, but it's supposed to be pretty terrible. The Galapagos are expensive. This price certainly didn't get you what it would on the mainland, but it enabled us to stay longer on the Galapagos, which was worth it to us.

The budget rooms are dark & strange. They have glass doors & windows with curtains. There's one key & you need it to open the door so my husband couldn't go out on his own without locking me in, or leaving me with the door unlocked. The rooms are pretty dank and there's no AC-- just fans. That actually wasn't so bad. We were out of our rooms pretty much all day anyway, and by night a fan was sufficient.

They changed the towels and sheets daily, which was essential. We borrowed towels to go to the beach & they were fine with that-- so nice! The screen in our room was ripped & one day the mosquitos descended in droves! We used a towel to plug the screen hole. Again, hopefully they'll fix it, but they also gave us enough towels for us to jerry-rig our room to our comfort.

On days when we booked tours they fixed us breakfast for $5 per person, which they added to our room bill. The breakfasts were HUGE. Yogurt and granola, banana, watermelon, heavy Ecuadorian rolls, eggs, juice, & instant coffee or tea. Not amazing, but it got the job done. They serve you on a restaurant located on the top floor of the hotel. Really nice views but it gets stuffy up there.

On our last day I got horribly sick. I must have eaten something. Because I was in the room all day the maid didn't clean (pretty standard). By night I asked my husband to ask the staff to at least change the trash. (You can't flush toilet paper-- it all goes in the trash.) One of the clerks came & cleaned thoroughly! She brought fresh towels, changed the sheets on the bed, & offered suggestions on pharmacies my husband could visit to find medicine for me. They were really sweet and helpful.

Also, a few times our tours were changed. These were booked through a separate company. This company left word with Hotel Flamingo & they made sure to communicate with us. The staff is really wonderful!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maiga_Milbourne
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Because I mistakenly expected wifi to work from my room, I moved out of this hotel after two nights. But, the my room was kept very clean, wifi did work very fast from their lobby, and the owner couple and his son were all very helpful and nice. The son spoke very good English and was always there to assist.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank roadtrip201031377
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We arrived in Purto Ayora without a reservation, not that it would be a problem, but to stay anywhere was going to cost, and not a small amount, then by chance we wandered into the Flamingo, it does look quite new and swanky outside, but what the hell.
They had availabilty and to our amazment it was cheaper than anything we had seen even online!
The main body of the hotel is still being finished but there is obviously the old part at the back, a tired and basic old hotel, and that's where we were put, but for the price it was good.
The shower was hot, the bed comfy and the room even had a fan. They clean the rooms daily and replace the linen as well. The wifi is slow but then it is everywhere in Purto Ayora, but there is the local free wifi and we managed to connect to that in the room.
All in all for the price it was very good, but it is basic at the back and probably more expensive in the new part.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil T T
Sosnowiec, Poland
Reviewed 7 December 2011

It was our first hostel on Galapagos and we were disapointed with standards. Small and dark room. Wifi sometimes works. No breakfasts. We don't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple