Hotel Deja Vu
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Fernandina(Puerto Ayora)
Hotel Silberstein(Puerto Ayora)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Pelican Bay(Puerto Ayora)
Hotel Mainao(Puerto Ayora)
Hotel Solymar(Puerto Ayora)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Cucuve Suites(Puerto Ayora)
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Hotel Red Booby(Puerto Ayora)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstop floornice poolwalking distance to towngreat hotelquaint hotelcouple nightsstayed nights heretea coffeei highly recommend this hotelfiltered waterquiet areaswimming poolwould stay againgalapagos tourbeach towelsrestaurants and shopsthe darwin research center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2014

In booking this hotel for 8 nights, I broke my own principle - never trust a hotel o restaurant that has 100% good reviews (which has been the case of this hotel until the present review). I booked the hotel for 8 nights, after a very long correspondence, whereby they promised the moon, but wanted me to pay 50% down-payment, as a deposit into their bank account. Well, thanks to my no good EC bank, I could not oblige the hotel and they agreed on my credit card payment upon arrival. They did arrange for my pick up and, as promised - a lady was waiting for me at the airport and took me to the bus, then to the boat, than her husband's taxi,then to the hotel.

The room I was first given was simply awful. It was taken over by the huge bed, had a tiny bathroom with a suicide shower (electric wires attached to the shower head), no place to put clothes in or to hang them on, right by the front desk, windows overlooking the small court yard, i.e. no privacy. And for this so called superior room they wanted $40 plus 10% service charge, plus 12% IVA, i.e. $50. Outside Galapagos, this room would be rented for $15, if they were lucky, $12 otherwise. In Galapagos, it should not be rented for more than $25, taxes and breakfast included.

Well, I said that, unless they find me a good room, I will stay for 1 night and then move. After a long discussion (and, as turned out, many lies about the place being fully occupied) I was given a much better room, with 3 beds for 1 person LOL. They said that they have it only for 3 nights. Well, the next morning there were 3 of us for breakfast LOL. And the next day I found a better, and 30% less expensive hotel, and moved out after 2 nights (they had the nerve to object that I did not stay for 3 nights).

I do not understand how anybody could write about their breakfast "good" or "hearty". Easily, it has been the worst breakfast I had in EC in 3.5 years. Both days they served a piece of stale bread ( In ECUADOR, WHERE BREAD IS EXCELLENT, AND ALWAYS SERVED FRESH), one egg, a glass of water with an addition of a few drops of juice, and 2 pieces of fruit each 1/5" thick and no more than 2"x 2" in size.
Both mornings they forgot to serve the marmalade, and, when reminded, brought a little tiny bit of it, less than a tea spoonful, after a 10 minutes wait or so.

I could not try their swimming pool, because both evenings it was closed an hour before scheduled closing (around 8 pm).

After a prolonged discussion, they issued me a small credit, which amounted to 22% on the $80 charges for 2 nights, i.e. they simply did not charge me the IVA tax and service charge. I do not consider it to be an adequate compensation for a very unpleasant experience and the necessity to spend more time looking for a hotel instead of enjoying the Galapagos

Conclusion: Never trust a 100% good reviews of anything. Most likely, they are fake, at least in part, because it is not possible for 9 human beings to agree on the excellence of anything. I would not recommend the place, but would recommend its replacement, though not perfect, but well worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank movingtoEcuador
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Four friends and I stayed at Deja Vu for a couple nights to explore Santa Cruz. The members of the staff were extremely helpful and honest, helping us plan a short itinerary for our time there. The breakfasts were simple but hearty, and we felt extremely comfortable and content during our entire stay. About an 8 minute walk to town, and pretty good value in comparison to other hotels on the island.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was given a nice large room with a king size bed. Friendly staff, walking distance to town although everything pretty much is. Nice pool. Quiet environment. Great price. I would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I was in room # 2. Nice and quiet. Comfortable, good WiFi although not secure.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We found this place just by walking through it. At first we thought it will be too expensive for us as everything looked so nice - but it wasn't. Very nice place to stay! Delicious breakfast and especially friendly family! It was few nice days of our honeymoon there - recommend it without hesitation!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Naktute
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We got to this hotel totally by chance and couldn't be happier.
I traveled with few friends to Galapagos in May-June 2013. Our original plans were to stay in Isabella, but my language with scuba gear did not arrived so we decided to stay in Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz. Our taxi driver offered to take as to Deja Vu. We agreed and that was great decision. Deja Vu is family-run hotel and owners make everything they can to make your stay perfect. They are one of nicest people I ever met. I fill like home there.

Hotel Location.
Location is great. About 5-10 min walk to central street, fish market, restaurant. There are two dive-shops Scuba Iguana (one we use) and Red Mangroves less than 7 min walk. Few minutes further there is Playa de la Estacion (small beach) and further down is Chrles Darwin research center (Galapagos NP) where you can see giant turtles and other animals from the island
You can walk to the port in about 15 min. or take cab for $1 if you don't feel like walking.

Breakfast is included and it is very nice breakfast: fresh juices, banana, fruits, eggs, toasts, coffee, tea, even fry fish if you ask. All served on the first floor dining area in very nice settings.
There is also beer and water you can buy right by reception.

Rooms.
Very specious, clean and all presently renovated. There is second building with additional rooms. At the time we were there, renovation of the second building was still in progress but it is probably finished by now. We always had hot and cold water in showers.

If you need cab or to organize land tour, just ask owners and they will do for you.

Overall experience - Great! I will be definitely staying in Deja Vu next time I will go to Galapagos and recommend to friends. What makes this place unique is how well you treated by owner's family. Senior Johnson Benitez and his wife really made as fill as we were part of their family. Thank You!

Room Tip: If you scuba diving, get room on the first floor, so you don't have to carry gear upstairs. For bigger groups there are large rooms on the second floor that can accommodate 4-5 people. Those are with balconies and nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends