I will start off by saying that this is a fabulous hotel. We enjoyed our 3 night, 4 day stay immensely. Our room was very comfortable, the food was very good and it just felt like all of our holiday needs were met.
It is a bit challenging getting to this hotel. From the airport on Baltra Island you take a 10 minute bus ride to the water taxi. You take this water taxi to Santa Cruz Island - approx another 10 minute ride. We then took a bus to the opposite end of the Island. This took 45 minutes. Once here you take a 5 minute water taxi to the Finch Bay dock and then walk 5 minutes down the path to the hotel. Once you arrive it is definitely worth it.
We had booked our stay through Metropolitan Tours so they handled all of the logistics with getting our luggage to and from the hotel and airport. A nice perk with so many transportation changes.
As we arrived at the hotel we were given a refreshing glass of juice and shown to our room. We were given a garden view room on the main floor. It was located in a beautiful, peaceful courtyard. We found the room to be spacious enough. We had two benches for our two small suitcases - there was a large table - a nice wardrobe with plenty of shelves and hangers. The safe could also be found in the wardrobe. The bathroom had a nice sized counter and a shower. No bathtub - which wasn't really an issue.
The first evening -after our 1/2 day tour on Santa Cruz - we sat by the pool and ordered a nice bottle of wine. As the evening mists rolled in we moved to the open lobby and watched. Very relaxing.
The food that we had each day was all good. The breakfasts are excellent with numerous options. There are several choices of breads and buns - sausages and bacon - cheeses and cold meats -eggs (usually boiled) - cereal - fresh fruit - smoothies - and even some hot fish, veggies and rice.
Our dinners here were always very good. We found the appetizers and soups to be exceptional, while the main courses were okay but didn't meet the high standard of the other courses. Some of the appies we had included smoked salmon and a shrimp quinoa that was amazing. The soups were a fish soup, a consommé and cream with broccoli. Main courses varied between fish, beef and chicken. Always with a vegetarian option.
A couple of tips. It is easy to take either a water taxi (0.60pp) or the free Finch Bay boat to town. There is a supermarket right on the corner where you can buy snacks and some liquor. The wine we purchased was only $16 vs $45 - $80+ at the hotel. If you take the Finch Bay boat over just ask him to come back when you want and he will pick you up.
We had some great experiences with the staff. Elizabeth -at the front desk - was always willing to answer any questions. Carlos was always friendly, greeting us every afternoon and offering dinner suggestions. The bartender was great about opening our store bought wine and providing us with glasses.
Finally - remember that this is an Eco hotel. Some things are not going to be the same as a 4 or 5 star in the middle of the city. The finishings are a little lesser and the hot water might not work as well - but this is still a fabulous place to visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award-winning hotel enjoys a peaceful and magical beachfront location in Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz Island. The 21 Garden View-room and 6 Ocean View suite hotel makes the ideal base for exploring the natural diversity and attractions of the island – including Tortuga Bay beach – and for taking day-trips to nearby islands, aboard its own, specialized yachts. The hotel also implements best practices in sustainable tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Finch Bay Eco
- Finch Bay Eco Puerto Ayora
- Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz