All reviewssea lionssuite mayorsanta cruzgalapagos islandsclamsland based tourrestaurant staffflora and faunaoverlooking the waterdarwin centeracademy baylounge chairsday tripocean viewyogurttortuga baythe main street
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I've been trying to book a room at this hotel for over a month. Until now I haven't been successful due to a poor efficiency of the sales team. I wrote a numerous times to salesteam@redgalapagos.com. After my first e-mail nobody came back to me. I wrote again - received info about a hotel I was not interested in. I called the hotel - a receptionist told me that I can't book a room directly and have to go via the sales team. I wrote again - same person came back to me again with info about a hotel I was not interested in. In meantime the flight tickets price increased by 30% (and this have to be multiplied by four as I intend to travel with my family) and I still haven't received an answer about the availability and price for the end of September. I find it absolutely unacceptable and disrespectful and am wondering how with such an inefficiency of the sales team this hotel managed to receive all those Excellence and other awards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Yuri G
Sucorodas, General Manager at Red Mangrove Ecoluxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear customer

Regarding you comment, please let me inform you that the first request we received from you was on July 28, and we sent you our answer on July 30.
Then we received another request from you on August 10, (Saturday) telling us that you had not received an answer from us, and specifying your desires to stay in our Aventura Lodge, of course we sent you a response on August 12 (Monday), informing you that since we have policies of a minimum of night to book in the Aventura, we could offer you our Divers Lodge. We are able to assure all our clients that Red Galapagos commitment is to answer each and any request we receive in a timely manner

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I booked a land and diving package with Red Mangrove for my first week in Galapagos. Most of the service was ok, remembering you are on a remote island. I was given an upgraded room on Santa Cruz....beautiful! But then I was transferred to their hotel in Isabella for 3 nights. During a volcano tour, the guide received a phone call from the hotel saying they were moving all my things to another room for my last night! I was not happy because I had computers, photography and personal items spread around the room. I was given no warning about the change, and no real reason either! Nothing was lost or left behind, but I felt it was an invasion.
The next day I decided to delay my departure from Isabella until the afternoon, so I could do another tour and the staff there were very helpful in changing a few things, though I did have to pay for my own trip back to Santa Cruz.
I also had an issue with the diving. My first dive was fine(though I did see candy wrappers coming from the captains upper deck of the boat into the ocean as we were moving), and I was looking forward to diving the next day, but i had started to have ear/sinus issues(quite dangerous for diving). The dive guide didn't show up for a briefing as per schedule that night, so I couldn't let him know. One of the reception staff said he was at home sleeping.
The next morning I let the staff at reception know I definitely couldn't dive, but I would like to reschedule it for another day. They seemed amenable to this suggestion at the time, but all my attempts since then, even with head office and friendly Jose(the guy I booked with) have fallen on deaf ears. $175 down the drain. Not happy. I know the boat still went out that day with other divers and I would have been happy to go with others on a later day too.
The Red Mangrove targets well paying, high end travellers, but the organisational service was poor and disjointed. There are better options here in Galapagos. DEFINITELY organise your diving through somebody else.
Having said that, the restaurant here on Santa Cruz does great cocktails and food, the view is tremendous and the staff try to be helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Galapagos69
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove Ecoluxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

We are really sorry. Despite all the efforts we made to accommodate your itinerary considering we did not have more people on for your trip. They seem to be meaningless to your expectations. As you may remember we offered you upgrades in Santa Cruz as well as on Isabela, but one day that we did not have availability which happens to be the day your things were moved with previous advice.
Regarding the diving option, as you may understand we are conditioned to National Park and Navy regulations, Furthermore we are really close to safety standard and we understand very clear the importance of keeping small groups especially on diving trips. Unfortunately by the time you were in Galapagos, we had some departures confirmed with the maximum capacity; therefore it would have been irresponsible on our side to send you with these groups and you may remember we offered you a private instructor. Regarding the candy wraps that you mentioned you found, we have already talked to our boat staff and revised the environmental standards we manage, and of course your report does not reflect the efforts Red Mangrove is doing on behalf the preservation of the environment. About the information our staff provided we have already taken actions in order to avoid misunderstandings and confusion to our guests. We have started a series of evaluations and specific training schedules in order to guarantee our guests receive proper information to any inquiry.

Warm Regards
The Management Team

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Overall I would recommend Red Mangrove for a trip to Galapagos. My family and I participated in the Darwin's Long 6 Day Tour (Santa Cruz, Floreana, and Isabela). As other guests have mentioned, there is some down time and guides will not always be on time. This is normal in most Latin American countries, and as the same guides are used on both boats and land tours, it is likely the same with boat tours. Red Mangrove cannot necessarily control this. One thing that I particularly appreciated about our Red Mangrove trip was the size of our group. Our group was limited to 9 people for the duration of our trip. We rarely ran into other tour groups. When we were hiking on Isabela Island we did run into some people from a boat, and they had one guide for approximately 20 people. Several of my friends have gone on boat tours, and they all had around 16 people per guide. 9 people per guide felt about right. The rooms were what I was expecting based on the pictures. The buffet food was okay. It was cold at times and although they knew I was vegetarian, at some meals they had a large number of options for me and sometimes there was hardly anything that was vegetarian friendly. If you don't want to be constrained to a small boat in the evening, this is a good alternative for you. For the most part, we saw the same things that my friends saw on boat trips only we had larger accommodation and more comfort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank MaS1983
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Nice room and ok resaurant. The service was very good. Nice with the "wildlife" close. However I would't go on the Red Mangrove's land tour again, I expected more, to much time waiting.The guide was ok but it was hard to understand his english.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Catarina1973
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Our room 'Naranja' is right next to the restaurant. Sea lions and marine iguanas are on the deck of restaurant. We walked out our room and we face to face sea lions. It is fun. The only thing is sea lions did make a lot of noises. But who could get the opportunity to be woke up by sea lions in the morning? We enjoyed every moment of our stay in this lodge.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family