“Comfortable hotel in Galapagos”
Review of Red Mangrove

Red Mangrove
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We are here with friends to explore the area, and learn about the history and wildlife. Our rooms are comfy, screens on the windows are open to enjoy the sound of the sea! Lulling us to sleep after a long day of exploring! Staff friendly and helpful, rooms clean! Close to town for shopping and dining if preferred. Last night we wanted local lobster. We found them on the street for sale, brought them to a local restaurant and they cooked them for us! The food in the hotel is fine...we just wanted a rare treat !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Morcella
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Your kind comments make worth all the efforts the Red Mangrove Team make every day to go above and beyond for our guests.

We wish you many more adventures in your life.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My friend and I have had our fair share of travels (with experiences both good and bad) but this is the first time I've ever been inclined to write about one, which shows just how much my friend and I enjoyed  this trip.
Eduardo was our main travel guide. His  genuine concern for us and  other guests is commendable. We were always well cared for.
Also worth mentioning is Keeke(our Highland Tour and Sta. Cruz snorkeling guide)--both his and Eduardo's calm demeanor helped settle my friend's anxiety of being in the water. Michaelangelo was our Bay Tour guide and was informative and funny.
The Isabela and Sta. Cruz  front desk and dining staff were courteous and helpful. Housekeeping did a good job as well.
In a nutshell, Eduardo + the rest of Red Mangrove staff = worry-free and unforgettable first Galapagos experience.
My friend and I are still on vacation in another country but we already miss Galapagos and are planning our return!
--MC

• Stayed: October 2013
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, We are focus to provide one of the best service in Galapagos, and making this adventure a reason to make you come back one day,
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just left Galapagos islands.. This trip and The Red Mangrove Lodges exceeded all my expectations. Both Sta Cruz and Isabella hotels are right by the water.The Aventura lodge has lounge area with chairs being occupied by Sea Lions and Marine Iguanas .. And a walk away from the fish market where I saw different kinds of birds...The rooms were clean and spacious ...(but no clothesline for wet clothes) ..Staff working at both hotels were extremely friendly and helpful. They took care of everything .. From the airport to the hotel and back..Our guides Eduardo H and Kiki were exceptional and professional... Eduardo H was our ' angel' in this vacation.. Eduardo H and Kiki were very patient and attentive especially for non swimmer like me.... I've travelled fairly frequently and I must say this was the best adventure vacation that I have ever been on .....and I would highly recommend this hotel and trip to all my friends .. I will definitely go back!!! ;))
FR

• Stayed: October 2013
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear guest,

As part of Red Mangrove Team, we would like to thank you for your valuable comment. We hope that your experience in our lodge and as well in Galapagos will last forever.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Red Mangrove exceeded all our expectations. A truly beautiful hotel right on the water. The rooms were first rate. The food was excellent. They took care of everything. And best of all was the extremely friendly and helpful people working at the hotel. They were a fine example of the friendliness of the local population!!! Our guide was exceptional ..... this was the best adventure vacation my wife and I have ever been on .....and I would highly recommend this hotel to all our friends and anyone else who is interested.
Howard and Rhonda

T

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear guest,

Your comments inspire us to keep working not only for the good of the company but to offer the best of our services to our passengers.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

The Red Mangrove lodge in Puerto Ayora is in a lovely situation right on the beach with good sized and well-kept rooms. However the service in the restaurant is poor and the food itself is really not good (though compared to the Red Mangrove on Isabela its amazing!). I went there as part of a tour and on my first night dinner consisted of four chicken wings - of which only two were edible - and fries. Needless to say I left pretty sharpish and ate out in the town. Red Mangrove is expensive by Galapagos standards and the food should reflect that.

Room Tip: The suites on the top floor are very nice. Ask for Suite Menor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SJG444
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your posts. We feel really happy to hear you enjoyed Puerto Ayora, part of your adventure as well as the food on Isabela. We will take special consideration on your feedback regarding the food in our restaurant in Santa Cruz. Sometimes we need to please specific requirements which happen to let some people down. But be sure we will do the best to find a balance and improve the offer in order to fulfill our client’s expectations.
Once again thank you for your feedback, this is the key to continue improving our service.

The Management Team.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here as part of our package with the excellent Row Adventures and we were not disappointed. The lodge is right on the sea with the bar seats being occupied by Sea Lions and Iguanas and the odd human being too. The rooms were spacious, clean and in the style of the Galapagos. Luxurious? Not quite but certainly at the top end of four star.

But if you're touring the Galapagos, you're not going to be spending much time in your room. Instead, the fabulous activities which were all organised by the desk, managers and tour guides gave us a quite wonderful experience. The organisation is seamless from when you're met at the airport and have your bags taken to when you're returned to Baltra, you really don't need to lift a finger.

Our package was full board and included free soft drinks - invaluable when you take into account how many bottles of water we went through on our hikes and kayak trips.

A great place to stay and a wonderful base from which to explore one of the most enchanting places in the world.

Room Tip: We were in Manglar Rojo and Naranja - both were lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JamesMasters
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We enjoyed our visit to the Galapagos Island very much. We spent 3 nights at the Red Mangrove Aventura Lodge in Puerto Ayora, Ecuador and one night on Isabela Island at the Red Mangrove Lodge as part of the 5 night Darwin's Footsteps package. We saw giant tortoises, craters and a lava tunnel our first day in the Galapagos. We snorkeled the next day after kayaking along the coast of Santa Cruz Island. There are manta rays and white tipped sharks in the channel between Baltra and Santa Cruz Islands, as well as beautiful fish. The guide was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about his native Galapagos Islands. The sea lions and marine iguanas are everywhere and quite entertaining. There are lots of great birds, as well, of course, but one of our favorite experiences was snorkeling with a huge sea turtle that fed on the ocean bottom and completely ignored our gawking at it. Our guide and a staff member from the lodge pointed out this and other wildlife in the water we would have missed without their experienced eyes.
The staff is extremely attentive and asked after me when I got sick with a 24 hr bug that didn't agree with me, probably acquired in Quito. I saw a doctor for free and a staff member kindly went to pick up the prescriptions for us. During our first lunch there, they surprised a family with a birthday cake. We enjoyed having meals on the ocean front deck on a little bay while watching all the wildlife.
We also enjoyed touring the Darwin Research Center and learning about the conservation efforts going on there. The airline AeroGal is a great airline. There was much more leg room, great service and better food, served immediately after reaching altitude. I'd choose this airline over Delta any day. This trip is highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed at the divers lodge, about 3 blocks away from the Aventura Lodge, but meals and departures...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple