“Fantastic place to stay in these amazing islands!”
Review of Red Mangrove

Red Mangrove
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Fantastic place to stay in these amazing islands!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I just returned from a week in the Galapagos with two girlfriends. We booked through ROW Adventures in the US (the "Darwins Footprints" tour) and stayed at the Red Mangrove Aventura Lodge on Santa Cruz and the Isabela Lodge on Isabela Island (see my other review). These are not five-star, Ritz Carlton-like accommodations. But, what the lodges lack in luxury, they more than deliver in quaint-ness, accessbility to the islands, and above all, service. We stayed in a "triple room" at each lodge, both of which were very spacious and comfortable. At the Aventura Lodge, we loved the meals each day, especially breakfast, and enjoyed the daquiris and other drinks on the deck at happy hour, just sitting outside watching the sea lions and iguanas and the boats come and go into Puerto Ayora. What a fun location! We, especially, had SO MUCH FUN on our various tours and activities and loved getting to know each of our tour guides individually. I highly, highly recommend the Red Mangrove accommodations for any trip to the Galapagos!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank DFWgal
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your feedback, it encourage us to keep mantaining the same quality of service.

Red Mangrove Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We just returned from a package trip and found the accommodations to be excellent at the Red Mangrove hotel in Santa Cruz and Isabella (stayed in Adventura in Santa Cruz). The rooms were excellent for the nature of the trip and the food was excellent too! We were disappointed by the lack of communication from the agent...never provided an itinerary so we didn't know about the 10 mile hike (we didn't have the best shoes for this activity). It fulfilled our "bucket list" to go!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sherry C
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Shery,

Thank you very much for your feedback, as it is very important for us.

Regarding the itinerary not provided by our sales agent, we have taken inmediate action in order to provide a complete information tour our guests.

We want to thank you for chosen Red Mangrove and wish you many good adventures.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at both the Red Mangove Santa Cruz and in Isabela and, overall, was quite pleased. The rooms were very comfortable and clean and the lodge itself had quite a bit of character. Meals were included as part of our trip, and they were delicious. The drinks were also good, but the service was quite slow at times (you'll easily wait 15 minutes for a drink). My only real complaint lies with the one of the lodge's managers, Monica and her lack of customer service. I had been in communication with one of the lodge's reps for 2 months leading up to my time in the Galapagos. We had discussed multiple times and agreed multiple times that I would dive on our "free day" (as per the package), which was the last day of our trip. That morning and again later in the afternoon, I inquired about details of my dive and was told by the front desk staff that we would make my arrangements that evening, once our tour returned from the Darwin park. Finally, at 6pm, I was able to speak with someone regarding the logistics of my dives the next day. For the first time in months, my experience level as a diver was brought into question and I was told that the dive site where Red Mangrove was going the next day was above my diving experience level. As any diver would agree, putting yourself in an unnecessarily dangerous position is not a good idea. So that is not what is upsetting. What is upsetting is that this first got brought to my attention at 6pm the day before I was to dive, even though I had asked to have this discussion multiple times earlier in the day and week. Monica made no apologies for not discussing this earlier and, to my amazement, made not one single attempt at trying to help me remedy the situation. What resulted is me running around Puerto Ayora at dark, by myself, going from random dive shop to random dive shop, many of which were closed at this point or which had full boats, trying to find a spot to dive on my last full day of vacation in the Galapagos. I finally found a shop that would take me and ended up having a great experience and wonderful dives the next day (and spent $100 less than what Red Mangrove was charging). It would have been much appreciated had Monica helped (by giving names or making phone calls) to help me find a different alternative to diving with Red Mangrove the next day. As a side note, Monica claimed that she couldn't recommend any other dive shops on the island, but ironically, our Red Mangrove tour guide (Kekay) had said about 2 hours earlier on our walk back from the Darwin station that another dive shop was his favorite and best on the island. Monica needs to understand that tourists spend, literally, thousands of dollars to get to the Galapagos and that this trip is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Keeping that in mind will likely help to ensure that guests have the best possible experience. All of this was 100% preventable, had someone bothered to discuss the logistics with me earlier, as I had tried to do as soon as I arrived at the Galapagos. A simple apology and a willingness to help out a customer also goes quite a long way. I hope this experience helps the employees and, specifically Monica, realize the shortcomings of their customer service abilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Nicole H
Calgary
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at The Divers Lodge and Aventura Lodge in Santa Cruz and Isabela Lodge on Isabela on a 6 day trip organized by Red Mangrove. We had the 2 top floor rooms at The Divers Lodge which were spacious and with an excellent view, and outdoor seating area. The walk to Aventure for meals was very short and easy. We also were on the top floor in Isabela, this time with a lovely ocean view. The final night we had the top floor in Aventura Lodge in an absolutely outstanding room. We felt our package paid for was extremely reasonable, and we were exceptionally well looked after. We thought the meals were excellent, although much simpler in Isabela. Staff, as noted by other reviewers, were incredible - and without exception. We were very impressed by this trip and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: See if you can get the top floor in any of these lodges.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Calgarytravelbuffs
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We work hard to offer one of the best services in Galapagos, and proud to be part of this great company Red Mangrove.

Therefore we are happy, when we receive comments like yours, they encourage us to keep working with the same passion.

toronto
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have just spent 6 amazing days on a Galapagos trip arranged by Red Mangrove. We stayed at the Divers Lodge in Santa Cruz as well as the Isabela Lodge in Isabela.
All the staff, from the sales team, the guides and the hotel staff went out of their way to make our trip great. They arranged an extra excursion for our group of 4, along with a guide at no extra cost. They also arranged transportation for us when we were no longer on the packaged trip, again at no cost.
The food provided is basic but plentiful. The only problem was the plumbing at both locations, with little water pressure and hot water.
This is a great alternative to seeing the Galapagos without going on a cruise. Spending time on the islands really provides freedom and the ability to see how the locals live.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kiraToronto
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive a warm greeting. We really appreciate your comments as they help many Trip Advisor visitors to decide for Red Mangrove. Land based programs are really a good option.

We wish you to have many good adventures in the future.

Red Mangrove
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My family was sailing on the MV Xpedition, a Celebrity Cruise Line ship plying the Galapagos Islands. Red Mangrove was their preferred dive shop. My daughter and I arranged the dive while on board the ship via email. We were able to complete all the necessary forms through PDF's and email. On the day of the dive, our guide and Dive Master, Abrahin, was there to meet us on the dock. Since we had provided wetsuit sizes, etc in advance everything for our dive was already laid out at their pool facility near town. We were able to try on everything first to make sure we had good fits, then it was off to the other side of the island to our boat. Captain Jorge was silent but efficient. The boat was not the most glamorous, but that didn't matter. It was clean and well set up for our dives. Abrahin did everything for us: set up our equipment, geared us up on the gunwales, led our dives, and took off all our gear before we rebounded the boat. Here are some of the things I especially loved about the dives. First, Abrahin was very thorough in his pre-dive briefings, focusing on both safety and all the marine life he wanted us to see. Our first dive was a brief checkout dive to make sure our buoyancy was in check since we had on 7 mm wetsuits and the salinity of the water is high. He also required us to complete two safety drills (mask clear and regulator recapture). We returned to the boat, adjusted our weights and off we went. Diving Galapagos is all about the marine life as there is little coral; it is mostly volcanic boulders everywhere. I would nickname Abrahin "Eagle Eye"! He saw everything before we could pick it out: white tipped reef sharks, Galapagos sharks, nudibranches, diamond eagle rays, stingrays, a Galapagos sea robin (looked like a winged fish with lobster legs), sea lions, turtles, schools of barracuda, stonefish…the list goes on. On our second dive he told us he wanted to find us a hammerhead to see. Unfortunately, I am one of those divers who can suck down a tank of air in no time. I had come to the safety point on my gauge and we had not seen a hammerhead. When I informed him, he looked at my gauge, then at his, and gave me his octopus so we could look a little more. We did not find one, but it was not because of his lack of effort in trying! On board the boat, he had snacks for us: plantain chips, apples, bottled water and this incredible hot tea that was similar to a mulled chai. It was perfect for warming you up between dives. He also had sandwiches to tide us over until we returned to the Lodge for lunch. My recommendation: book a dive with Red Mangrove and ask for Abrahin as your guide. You won't be disappointed!

Our dive package also included lunch, an island buffet lunch in their wide open dining room overlooking Puerto Ayora harbor. The food was very good, the service friendly and spot-on, and the atmosphere like a microcosm of the island visit. On the deck outside were iguanas sunning themselves, sea lions sleeping in the dinghy, finches flitting about, all in the lovely mangroves into which the lodge was nestled. Absolutely lovely. I could have stared out the windows for hours.

Lastly, the package included a guided tour of the Darwin Center where they are raising tortoises to repopulate the species on the islands. Our personal guide, Enrique, was knowledgeable, friendly and very engaging. We had a lovely tour.

Our time ran a little over due to some guests who were to join us on the tour but who decided they needed showers and cleaning up first, which rudely held up the rest of the group. (Hey, when you are in Galapagos, you have to get used to being damp a lot.) Nonetheless, RML made sure we were back to the docks on time, personally escorting us in a cab which they paid for, so we could return to our ship.

While waiting we had an opportunity to speak with the Lodge manager, Monica. it was obvious how much she cared about the operations of the lodge and the satisfaction of her guests. She was a delightful woman to chat with, but her dedication to top quality service was apparent in her actions and in her voice. She deftly kept her staff busy but also gave us time for conversation that was not rushed and was focused on making sure our needs were being met satisfactorily.

Overall, a top notch dive operation!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Empty_Nest-to-be
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. They inspire us to keep providing the best services to our guests, and help other undecided travelers to make the decision to take this wonderful adventure hosted by Red Mangrove.

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We just returned from a five day trip booked with Red Mangrove staying at the Aventura Lodge on Santa Cruz and also their lodge on Isabella. We were on their program with the meals, transportation and guide provided by Red Mangrove. There were four people in our group. This is one of the nicest trips we have been on. The rooms were very nice, although the beds were a little hard. The meals provided were excellent and plentiful. Whenever we had an activity such as hiking or snorkeling the hotel provided a snack for us. Our guide, Gandhy, was topnotch, he took us to the best snorkeling sights and guided us to the best places to snorkel. The people living on the Galapagos Islands are very friendly and love to show you how much they love the islands and their inhabitants. We would definitely recommend Red Mangrove for a trip to the Galapagos.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cleo245
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comment, Our goal is to have satisfy customers, as we are convinced that the experience in The Enchanted Island will last forever.

We hope you have many good experiences like this.

Regards
#4 of 20 in Puerto Ayora
Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos
Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos
#11 of 24 in Santa Cruz

Been to Red Mangrove? Share your experiences!