“Great home base”
Review of Hotel Solymar

Hotel Solymar
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed 24 July 2011

When you're in the Galapagos, you definitely won't want to spend too much time in your hotel. This hotel was a clean, comfortable spot to return to after a day of exploring! There are nearly always sea lions lounging by the bar or resting on lounge chairs, which in my opinion is the only reason you need to choose this hotel :)

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Callie722

Reviewed 9 July 2011

I was traveling by myself, so it was lovely to have the benefit of sitting on my deck looking over the water in the evenings instead of feeling caged in.

The room was lovely and clean. My most expensive stay in south America by far but I guess being an exclusive island they can demand it.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel as there are alot of highly reveiewed places within walking distance.

I wouldn't of swam in the pool as the seals used it regularly, however I would of been keen to use the spa if they had it covered during the day - that's my only recommendation, please cover the spa pool.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and most spoke great English. Wonderful location too, right in the heart of it but no sleep disturbance.

Thanks Solymar for a great Galapagos experience :-)

P.s. Make sure you take a walk to turtle bay, the staff will give you directions, stunning!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank ekirsty
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Nice boutique hotel: small, quaint, nicely designed -modern, very tropical. Rooms were adequate, not large or luxurious, but clean - high ceilings make room appear larger - good feature. Nice little balcony. Beautiful setting on the bay. Second story rooms have excellent views. Very pleasant, accommodating staff. Great sleeping atmosphere - open the patio doors and let the sea breeze in - Rooms are in need of ceiing fan for circulation!. Watch out for slippery tile - looks nice, but poor choice of surface on tile flooring. Nice covered patio. The pool serves more as a wildlife refuge than for human use - nice facility, but seals & birds love to use it, with the obviously side effects.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The room was really good, but we accepted a sort of "package" that included half pension and some trips, which were quite useless... with regard to the meals, the choice was very poor and it was quite annoying to choose in advance what to eat; with regard to the trips, the only one that was worth it was the visit to the giant turtles, since the Darwin station and the tortuga bay were easily reachable on your own. Anyway, the position and the view from the room are amazing! That's why, it's definitely a great place, but avoid "packages"...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ariannaluna
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel! The staff was amazing from start to finish (Danny was a personal favorite). The atmosphere was amazing. The wildlife I encountered just poolside was incredible. Wi-Fi saved me a lot of $ on my cell bill. I will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel for 3 days and nights during our 10 day trip to the Galapagos. I enjoyed every aspect of those three days. The rooms were comfortable, displaying giant oil canvas paintings of the local wildlife done by local artists. The bathrooms were spacious and had beautiful tile work. I was constantly greeted and helped by friendly and outgoing staff. Many spoke very good English, which was very helpful as my Spanish is barely more than conversant. I spent most of my time down on the open air patio with the seals, iguanas, pelicans, and blue footed boobies. The bar tenders were great and always had just the right thing for me. I also have to say the food was great, always very fresh and filling. I enjoyed swimming in the pool and watching the sun set behind the gorgeous bay. The location is ideal. Not to mention the fact that the activities the staff helped me setup were awesome. The best day by far started before sun up at 4:30 to go fishing around the nearby island of Santa Fe. We rode on the hotel's speed boat, "Gringa Loca", captained by the hotel's own general manager Julian. He also guided us to some great catch, which included a yellow fin tuna that we had for sushi that night. Amazing. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. They even helped me get a last minute souvenir from one of their several displays within different areas of the hotel. I can't wait to go back someday and I'm so excited for the many new opportunities awaiting across the street at the new sister hotel Isla Sol. It opens tentatively in July 2011, I believe they said. Great place! You should definitely try it out!

Room Tip: All are great with ocean view and patio.