breakfast: the novelty of the lizards around the pool quickly wore off, but seeing the shocked look on each persons face as they walk in to see the skimpy morning breakfast was always entertaining. the breakfast is pathetic considering the room rates.
hygiene alert: birds come in and help themselves to the same cereal, nuts, etc that guests are eating, but how would the staff know or care since they often hide in the back room so they don’t need to bother to make breakfast omelets for anyone.
wifi: slow to none (intermittent service)
room: nausating hospital lighting (bright white LED bulbs to cut costs)
my room had holes in the screen door allowing for easy entrance for mosquitos
location & view: good, but has fishy harbor smell of dead fish and constant bombardment of bird droppings. pool has occasional sea lion droppings as well as sea lion occasionally swims thru it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thank you for your interest in Hotel Solymar and our New Extension Isla Sol, located 10 steps from the entrance of Hotel Solymar. We are centrally located in Puerto Ayora’s mainstreet, with ocean access, and a beautiful patio for your guests to enjoy the nature that is Galapagos. Galapagos' only Galapagueño owned and operated first class hotel. Our father, a Galapagos tourism pioneer and legend, Jimmy Perez, opened the hotel in 1960 with eight rooms. It was later completely renovated in 2007 to bring the capacity to 17 rooms with ocean front views.In Hotel Solymar we have 17 rooms equipped with LED flat screen TVs, minibars, air conditioning, hot water, private balconies which allow our guests to appreciate a spectacular ocean view. Guests may enjoy a our jacuzzi, pool, and bar in our open air patio area or enjoy a more formal setting in our dining room, all while experiencing the service of our ultra attentive staff.August of this year, we inaugurated Isla Sol by Hotel Solymar; a new building with 14 modern rooms (6 exterior view – 8 interior view). Isla Sol with meeting space for up to 120 people, ideal for hosting any type of event in Galapagos.As former guides, we know our Islands intimately and can assist our guests with their travel plans, whether your desires be to kayak with sea lions or hike through the highlands to encounter the famous giant tortoises.Our staff speaks English, Spanish and Hebrew. We hail from Galapagos, Columbia, mainland Ecuador, Israel and United States. With our diverse international staff we are proud to provide a level of hospitality and guest service that keeps guests returning year after year.We look forward to welcoming you soon at Hotel Solymar - Galapagos! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Solymar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solymar Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Solymar Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz