“Comfortable, but no frills”
Review of Hotel Vistalmar

and 1 more site!
Hotel Vistalmar
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Manta
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed two nights at Vista al Mar. The view of the sea, gardens and gazebo were great. Our room, however, was exposed due to the enclosed glass bathroom and insufficient window treatments. We felt it lacked privacy which is very important to us. The breakfast consisted of 2 pieces of white bread, toasted only on one side, a pat of butter and marmalade, instant coffee and a scrambled egg. The surrounding area was in very close proximity to some restaurants, a SuperMaxi and a few shops. We enjoyed our meals at the Hotel Oro Verde, an upscale property, within walking distance to Vista al Mar.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SlowTravelers

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is perfectly located, it has an spectacular view, the pool is small but is not bad, but the service isn't the best out there, they need to be more organized, and they don't have any variation in the breakfast, it is, all days, scrambled eggs, coffee with milk or water, a glass of juice, toasts, butter and jelly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anolo
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel was fantastic. It had a great view of the ocean. There were no direct stairs from the hotel to the beach, but there were some right nearby. Technically hotel oro verde seemed like it would be the perfect location, but vista al mar was substantially cheaper maybe only a block away. It was close to the supermaxi so you could buy water and keep it in the refridgerator they provided. The rooms and hotel grounds were kept quite clean, and it was a very relaxing atmosphere. I arrived at 9:00 am and since they had room they let me check in early which was nice. A couple of downsides was that there was no hot shower (at least not in my room. It was always hot outside but I like having the option of a hot shower), you couldn't purchase any nice cocktails at the hotel (I thought it would be nice to just lounge with a pina colada) and the wifi didn't work very well. Breakfast was also included. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. One other nice thing is they had a pool and a really nice open area outside that you could just sit and relax with grass as opposed to cement. The hotel is also quite small, so there aren't a ton of people around.

I was considering staying at either a cheaper hotel or hotel lun fun near tarqui beach; however, upon arrival I was definitly glad I was near/walking distance of the marcielago beach. Tarqui beach seemed a bit sketchy, dirty and smelly. It would have been a bit of a walk to the other beach or a taxi would have been necessary. I would for sure recommend a place near Marcielago beach as opposed to tarqui even though it's a bit more expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Christa S
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This was my 2nd time at Vista al Mar and re-enforced my 1st impression...this is one sweet spot.
The location is very good and the grounds...small...are beautiful. From the entrance you can see the ocean framed nicely by the palm trees.
My room, in the new tower, was clean, well appointed, comfortable with a view of the ocean.
The staff are warm, friendly and very helpful. The lady at the desk helped me make last-minute changes to my trip. She called Cuenca and helped me re-book my reservations.
For me, I felt that I got very good value for my money. Worth every penny.
The breakfast served was adequate and sufficient...scrambled eggs, toast, juice and coffee. Coffe was instant coffee but very flavorful.
Overall - a lovely, warm, unassuming hotel

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Mjhawaii
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We were traveling to Manta, Ecuador and were staying at another nice hotel not close to the ocean. On our second day stay, on our way to downtown Manta I asked the cab driver if he knew of a nice place "cabana" within walking distance to the beach. As luck would have it, he took us to Hotel Vista al Mar. As soon as we walked into the courtyard, you can see the ocean and I knew that's where we wanted to stay. The view was amazing. I was traveling with my two sisters and they also loved it. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean was fantastic. At night, it was so relaxing to hear the ocean. We stayed in the two bedroom cabin with great ocean views from the bedrooms. The "cabana" cabin was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The beds were very comfy. The breakfast menu needs a little improvement...it was the same every day but it wasn't too bad. The staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. We will definitely go back. We loved it.

Room Tip: Cabanas are the best they are more spacious. Higher floor also has a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann F
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Got there very late because of delays at airport and getting lost on our first auto trip in Ecuador. Our host called in a food order to another hotel (no restaurant on site) and we had an excellent dinner served in our room. Our car was parked in their courtyard overnight We had a great room with a great bed and a great view of the Pacific. In the morning we had breakfast by the infinity pool. There is a picture of this view on the net. We booked two more nights as we checked out for our return to Manta. We have a little Spanish (more would be better) and were able to make our needs known and were met promptly and courteously. The staff is great, the service was top of the line, the room was fantastic and the view could not be better. Right in the heart of Manta, a short walk to the Malencon, restaurants, casino with beautiful homes all around. However, beach access is not direct but from the street side of the hotel. And the breakfast could use improvement (instant coffee in SA??) but adequate considering their limited kitchen facilities. Will still go back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2009

if you can book one of the rooms at this little gem grab it~it is one of the best values in town! Set in a somewhat residential neighborhood high on the hill overlooking the beach it is truly the perfect hidden little gem. Lounge by the infinity pool overlooking the beach, enjoy the comfortable rooms and just relax!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple