“Great location”
Review of Cocos Hotel

Cocos Hotel
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We moved from Hotel Las Olas to this hostal for a few reasons. Better location (at the boulevard with terrace with seaview), cleaner and more cosy rooms and the staff was a little bit more friendly. So we had a great 3 nights here. Good matresses and quiet rooms!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laura v

Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

We emailed the hotel and confirmed we are reserving the Superior room from the different options available. This was to include access to whirlpool, hammocks, and service at bar as well as a larger room. Standard in all rooms are A/C, TV, private bathroom and hot water. Our emails included arrival time, when we got here there was no rooms ready and we were given a smaller room and they refused several times to change rooms. We had three rooms reserved and when we inquired about the whirlpool access included with our rooms, they said it was only available during the day. Who wants to be in a hot whirlpool during the day at 80 degrees outside? We wanted it for the evening and again were refused. After our first night, we went to breakfast and they requested our keys from us to clean the rooms. We returned and not a single room had been cleaned. They acted as though it was a trouble to service us. PRO: across the street from the beach, cold A/C, nice hot water. CON: deceptive room rates, unfriendliness and not changing bed sheets after "cleaning" room.
Pay only for a Plus room because the Superior and above are not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank le_traveler26
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Can't speak to the accommodation, but the bar was sure disappointing. Has all the right stuff - location, well-appointed, upscale feel - Salinas needs this. But the service sucked and the prices were almost double other places on the Malecon. Swing by for a cocktail to take in the view, then carry on.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank SusieQpacific
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I have no problem with the room although the sheets were dirty so I slept in my cloths. We were there to gather information on how a group started a children's fund how the gathered money. We do this in Manta.
I went to the bar for internet and right before I was leaving the owner said some derogatory remarks about a guest about how none of his staff could afford her?. I thought this was in bad taste.
Next day we went to breakfast came back packed up and left . Five minutes passed and I forgot my iPhone so went back the maids were in the room we asked about the phone they said there was no phone in the room. Well went to the owner he said call the phone so I knew he had it since I am American and my phone is also. also it was turned off.
He argued with me saying people come in and out of his place here all the time well we were gone 5 minutes.
Ok enough of me complaining he gave me his email so twice I emailed him with no response. so he is a liar and a cheat robber. Its two bad because I have had two strokes and I used the camera a lot because I have loss of memory. the phone is locked and no one here can use it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank robert s
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Had a great 2 night stay at Coco's after hearing about it from some family friends who are regulars.

Our room had a nice view of the Malecon, the main street before the beach, where you are just steps away. Restaurants, the small market, everything is really close.

Very comfortable stay.

I'll be back (Schwarzenegger voice)

Room Tip: ask for a Malecon view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank shawnhawaii19
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

The location is extremely good. Is right in front of the beach, is a beautiful waterfront.

They just have 2 room facing the sea and the rooms are a little bid small but good enough if you are going to enjoy the day and night live of salinas.

The rooms are clean but many of them don't have good windows in case that you don't wanna use the AC.

The baths have air extractors because some bathrooms don't have windows and they work very good. Me and my friends were fine with their rooms we rent 4 rooms because we were a group.

They give us good prices from 45 to 70 dlrs we paid for each room.

Parking in Salinas is very rare so you must park in the street, they have a guard that keeps and eye on our cars.

All was fine until the last moment that we did the checkout and ONE of the towels have like make up colors and they want to charge one of the group for a small towel with woman make up witch is easy to get it out if you just washed with detergent.

The manager face was very angry just because one of my friend told him, Sr. This is just make up and if you wash the towel you will see that will come out.

I almost paid for it just because I saw the angry expression in this guy. So he took the towel and says to his worker put it in the garbage that towel is not good anymore. Not in a good tone. So he says is ok that we can go. ( By the way a towel in Ecuador is from 5 to 12 dlrs the good ones)

To be honest the reason why I left that all that happen was to see what they will do to a potential client that will maybe come back with more clients not to spend 2 days but to spend 15 days in Salinas or more.

Please a breaking line in the hotel industry shows you that your prices must cover if one towel get damage. Any way the towels were not new and they were not totally clean.

To be hones overall I do recommend the hotel, they all were very nice and only one of the owners was the one that did the un happy small show of the towels.

I will go back soon one because overall i feel good and the other guys are very nice.

MY
Twitter account is @restaurantesEC

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank JCastillo C
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Most of the hotels in Salinas are either expensive and close to the beach or cheap and far away. Cocos is along the main street in a safe location and is both inexpensive and across the street from the beach. There are a few rooms that overlook the ocean but most are not. Our room was beautiful with stylish, happy colors and nice decorations. For you American travelers who don't know Spanish, the manager speaks English. This is quite rare for small hotels in SA! I definitely recommend this place and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple