“Nice but with a Couple Big Negatives” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windrift Resort Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Windrift Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Columbia,SC
“Nice but with a Couple Big Negatives”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at Windrift in Signature 1 BR Suite for 3 nights while in the area for a wedding. The room set up was very nice and comfortable (fold out couch, 2 bathrooms etc) BUT the room came complete with a couple big negatives.

The room had 2 small balconies but they were essentially unusable because we were directly above the exhaust fans and garbage area for the restaurant. Also, the room was next to the elevator and it made so much noise we literally ran the bathroom fan all night to drown out some of the noise.

Not exactly what one expects in a $400+ room. Anyway, a mixed bag. Nice, renovated property but beware of these drawbacks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Creekcrawler

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Woodhaven, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've been coming to this hotel since 1977 and I go back every year. I love this place, this beach and these people. There have been many changes to this resort since then, but all positive. The rooms have been redone and now have a modern, updated vibe to them. The beds are extremely comfortable and the bathrooms are well appointed, although small (but how big of a bathroom do you really need?) They can now host weddings, beachfront, which is wonderful. The food, the drinks, the view, cannot be beat. I just love to sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and look at the ocean. It offers something for everyone-the pool, the beach, the nightlife. I agree with barbara b., Rick is my hero also. He runs a well-oiled machine effortlessly and efficiently. His boss(es) should be extremely happy with his performance. He makes me feel, every time I go, like I'm coming home and I'm welcomed with open arms. He is surrounded by a great staff-Maureen is great at the front desk for all your needs; you will want Rachael taking your orders at the pool and Zack waiting on you for breakfast in the morning. You will also be lucky if you have the dynamic duo of mother and daughter, Cass & Karen, as part of your housekeeping staff. The beach is so beautifully kept. It is truly my paradise and I will continue to go and stay here every year for as long as I can.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3rd floor midway down, on the pool side, to have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joanm914
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was just a guest 6-07-14. While using the public bathroom off of 80th St. I mistakenly dropped my key ring into the the new, very efficient, commercial pressure toilet, while reaching over to flush it. It was swept away to my devastation. It contained my father's Tiffany key ring (60 years old), 5 assorted keys & a Vovlo ignition fob. They immediately closed the very popular bathroom as "out of service", contracted a plumber to pull the toilet, and sent in a camera, to hopefully locate my lost item. I was told to just go back to the the beach, and enjoy my time, while awaiting the results. This was a Saturday, at 4:30 in the afternoon. They had a major function going on upstairs, which meant this bathroom was vital to guests. They called to tell me the cost, and I agreed to pay half of the expense, as they offered to pay the other half. ($360.00) What hotel steps up to the plate and absorbs half the cost for something that was clearly my mistake? The Windrift does! One hour later, I was was called by the front desk to let me know my keys had been retrieved. I took them back to our room and soaked them in the sink with very hot water and shampoo. To my amazement, when trying the fob the next morning, it WORKED!! I will be forever blown away by the experience.
I can't say enough about how accomodating Rick was, to step up to the plate. He was genuinely concerned about my devastation and eager to right a bad situation. I felt I was being treated as royalty. We texted the next day, as to how the fob miraculously worked. He said in his 30 years there, he had never had this situation before. He only requested that I share my experience on tripadvisor to let everyone know how special the Windrift family is.
I love the Windrift and always will......................
My two night stay was delightful. Great food, beautiful beach, nice bedding, friendly staff, great parking space and I was happy that the rates were off season & travelling with a friend, rather then my spouse, which meant the tab got split in half!! Pricey, but look at where you are!!!!! The whole experience was magical. Thanks so much Rick. You are my hero!

Room Tip: Third floor - Northside
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank barbara b
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Spent a Saturday evening with my wife drinking and dancing... Had such fun, a great live band on the first floor and on the second floor!! They served food, looked good but didn't eat! Was only drinking and dancing!!! Will return soon :)

• Stayed June 2014
Camp Hill, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

2 nights here over Memorial Day weekend. Beautiful hotel on the beach. Well appointed and sharply designed. Best view at a bar in the mid Atlantic area. Gorgeous.

Great food. 3 different levels of bars and restaurants. With fun music.

Wonderful beach hotel with great view of the ocean. Can't wait to come back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

A very nice hotel and an unbeatable location - steps from the beach is correct !
Room was very clean and ready on time, bed was a little lumpy, but not too bad.
The restaurant service and food were great!
The pool and hot tub were awesome - great place to stay, we've found a favoriteon the Jersey Shore!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean or pool view !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul E
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I spent one night at the Windrift for a little getaway.
We had gotten the package for a night with the hundred dollar credit to spend there.
Front desk was very nice and efficient.
Our room was ready when we arrived and had a sideways view of the ocean, which was OK, because we had mainly wanted to be away from the club so it was quite.
We made reservations for dinner downstairs and then went up to the bar upstairs. A very bright pleasant space. Great view of the ocean.
Very good service. Sat and talked for awhile, then got changed for dinner.
Fine dining. Very good seafood. Great service again.
After dinner we went into the bar downstairs and they had Jim Bannack (sp?) playing the piano. More like a one man band kind of setup. Very talented guy and worked the crowd very well. Friendly people there. Had a good time. Good service again.
Back to the room. It was very clean and comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning upstairs was great too. Again good service.
I really liked the wood decor in the hotel. Looks like it was remodeled recently.
I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

Room Tip: Away from the club is best if you want quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marktgriffith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,083 reviews
La Mer Beachfront  Inn
La Mer Beachfront Inn
#16 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Windrift Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!