“Swanky hotel not a typical jersey shore motel.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Windrift Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Old Tappan, New Jersey
“Swanky hotel not a typical jersey shore motel.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just came back from a vacation at the Windrift. We had an excellent time. Everything is clean. The pool was great. The staff should be commended on excellent service. There is always live entertainment every night. Great getaway for both my daughter and my husband and me. The one thing I wish they had was a small gift shop. We will be recommending this hotel and vacationing there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

What a disaster. I stayed at this hotel while attending a friends wedding. I WILL NEVER GO BACK. Deplorable customer service. The front desk staff was disorganized at best. Now 2 weeks later, they contact me and are trying to charge me for a beach tag that I turned in at checkout 2 WEEKS AGO. Which they say is now missing. Really? I was there TWO WEEKS AGO!!!
We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it took them 2 hours to serve us, while our waitress appeared to be socializing with the other restaurant staff. When I complained they said they were sorry. No offer to take care of the bill or anything. Just an "oh well we're sorry but it happens" . My friend didn't have 2 hours to waste on her wedding day in this manner. Then, the next day, I was served spoiled oysters at lunchtime - again in the same restaurant. Avoid this place, it is way over priced and is not an enjoyable experience.

Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Mesichak
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was very impressed with the staff at the hotel check in. I know that check in isn't till 3:00 but the staff gave me 2 beach tags at 11:00 so we could enjoy our day at the beach with friends. The room was very nice and clean. You must sit at the upstairs bar and have a drink overlooking the ocean. The room is not cheap, but you are right on the beach. Love the Windrift.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beegee059
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel so consistently excellent. Every year we go down for a few days, in early June. Always a great time and everyone is so friendly. I wouldn't don't think of going anywhere else. We can't wait to go back, next season!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marty C
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I am in Avalon from July 7 through July 12. This evening (July 8) I went to the Windrift with five adults and an 8 year old to have dinner. We arrived at 5:45 pm and was greeted at the entrace to the facility by a door man who promptly informed me that starting at 4pm on Tuesdays they charge a $5.00 per person cover charge. I advised him that we were going in for dinner, not to the bar. He explained that on Tuesdays, they charge EVERYONE cover charge beginning at 4pm. Apparently Tuesdays they have wing night or President Obama comes in or something to justify a cover charge to go inside to eat dinner. I have been all over the world and have never had to pay a cover charge to get into a restaurant to eat a meal. I understand if it is later and you charge cover for a band or for the bar, but at 4pm? So, instead of them gaining the revenue for 6 dinners and drinks in an effort to gouge someone for $30 in cover charges, we left and took our business to Sea Grill. It was wonderful! Someone at the Windrift who is making decisions needs to wake up. You can chop your nose off to spite your face sometimes. This is Avalon NEW JERSEY, not the Caribbean folks!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Greg B
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed at the Windrift last year and unfortunately the beach was closed. This year, we splurged on a ocean- front suite for five nites. I cannot say enough positive comments about our experience. The suite - although pricey - was beautiful. It looked exactly like the pictures on the website. The place runs like a well- oiled machine. On Wednesday , I noticed the owners there all day. They were visible throughout the day - assuring that everything ran smoothly. We had breakfast in the upstairs restaurant on several mornings and had our food delivered within five minutes. Although all the staff we encountered were friendly and courteous, there was one housekeeper who cleaned our room everyday, who should be at the front desk. She is customer service personified! On the first day, I overheard her reassuring a guest who had lost something, "Don't worry at the Windrift we find everything, we retrieved a valuable ring recently."On our last day, we went to tip our maids, and did not have enough cash on us. My husband wrote this woman a personal check! We spent a lot of money at the Windrift this week, and it was worth every dime!

• Stayed July 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I used to party here before the renovation and in my single days. Now that it's renovated--and I'm a bit more grown up--my fiancé decided to visit the old beach town and splurge on a stay here. It was worth every penny.

First of all, the renovation is amazing; like a whole new hotel. The rooms are well-appointed with the most comfortable beds, great linens, a comfy couch, huge, new bathroom, and in our junior suite, a mini-kitchen and supposedly partial view of the ocean but we could see it just fine.

For $270 it was a but smaller than I would have expected for a suite but there's a lot to do on the property and nearby so we spent very little time there. The time we did spend was comfy and happy, though.

The pool is fantastic. It has umbrellas in it so there's a bit of shade, a jacuzzi with waterfall, and waitress service so we could order fresh rum drinks right to our chaise lounges.

The restaurant and sun deck both have amazing ocean views and a god menu though the food is a bit hit-or-miss, as is service. Sushi was super fresh and tasty but for the price, there was too little of it (or tuna roll was more than half cucumber). Out mahi tacos were overcooked and came with an excellent pineapple salsa, which helped liven the dish, but when I asked for more, I got regular salsa.

So maybe skip dining here and check out Avalon proper, which is a short shuttle ride away, if running (when we were there on a Sunday in June, it was not).

There are a fair number of kids here and they dominate the pool, but once in the room, we didn't hear any.

Another plus; in addition to being right on the beach, with your stay you get beach tags, saving you time and money.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Highly recommend the Winddrift!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
La Mer Beachfront  Inn
La Mer Beachfront Inn
#19 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Windrift Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!