“A perfect place for kids of all ages. Great pool, good food, beach, playground -- all right there.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Windrift Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
United States
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We just got back from our annual family vacation from the Windrift. I just love this place and am embarrased to admit we never made it to the beach with our four year old. Our whole clan rents the 3BR and 4BR condos and they provide cleaning and linen service every day. WAY better than a beach house. They just redid the pool and it's terrific. It's this nifty salt water pool with a graduated decline and seating around the edges and it's not over 5 feet, so it's perfect for families. Plus, get this, they have umbrellas in the shallow end. You can stand (or sit) while you help the ones with the floaties and the older kids and adults don't feel like it's a kiddie pool. It's beautiful. I usually don't enjoy going on the pool in general because the chlorine does a number on my hair and skin -- this is salt water. I was in there with our son 3-4 hours a day and had almost as much fun as my son did. The staff is very friendly. At night, the Windrift is a popular bar/restaurant so if you go with your family like we did, you can take turns with the kids and enjoy the music and food. It's quiet at night, the beach is about 50 yards away and there is a playground across the street. Can't beat the location, the pool, and the staff. A great place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LucyGio

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Avalon has a beautiful beach. With nice surf and great sand. The Windrift hotel, is a bit over-rated. Its basic rooms are water front but they all face the parking lot, not the beach. The bar restaurant is nice, it is neither elegant nor original, but rather basic to state the obvious. Its the kind of place where every time the 21 year old (cant wait to get the hell out of here bartender!) would dump your half finished ($7) drinks when you went to the bathroom & then blame you for questioning him. Don't let the phony internet pics fool you. this is just a roadside motel on the jersey shore, with a cheese and crackers on the menu.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew777sunfish
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2010

the hotel is circa 1950 with old sheets and bedspreads and smells of mold.THE new pool was cold and dirty and the staff was terribly nasty with a cant do attitude.the restaurant was overpriced with faux gourmet dishes.the steak was like leather and the service was a disgrace.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank summerbreeze267
TheDrift67, Manager at Windrift Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2010
At any time did anyone of the party involved report the specific areas of concern to a manager on duty whether it be Food & Beverage or the Hotel Directors.
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My wife and I have been traveling to the Jersey shore for the last 6 years or so, and this is definitely the best Jersey Shore hotel we have ever stayed in! Perfect location, great restaurants, perfect vibe, and very friendly staff all made for one of our most comfortable and enjoyable stays ever. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Been coming to this Hotel for several years. This year was the worst. The room was dirty and outdated. When expessing the concerns to the Front Desk, they were rude and could have cared less. Food was cold, unfresh and not to par. When reporting to a Manager named "Pete", he was very rude and was only concerned about talking on his cell phone. Talk about unprofessionalism! We did, however, overhear a server talking about the dirty conditions in the restaurant kitchen. By this time, we didn't care about our meal anymore and just wanted to get out of there. During checkout, we inquired to a friendly desk agent about what happened to this Hotel. We were told that this new Manager "Pete" had let all of the old Staff "go" after years of working there. It sure does show now. We'll never go back to this Hotel ever again, and would suggest to anyone showing interest in going to the Windrift, don't waste your money - try to find somewhere else to go at the shore. This was one the most dissapointing stays in a Hotel that we have ever experienced. "Way to go!" to the owner and Manager of the Windrift!! Maybe the roaches in the rooms will be happier than the guests visiting your rooms from now on.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rochesterrocks
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I've been going to the Windirft for over 15 years, first as a kid and now as a (paying!) adult. When I wanted a long weekend getaway at the shore, I called the windrift. I'm a professional musician, and the trip coincided with some shows that I had in Philly that weekend. At the last minute, the shows were canceled and I called the windrift to see if I could move the dates to the following week. They did so and didn't charge me a dime for it. When I got there, I was given a $50 gift card to use in the hotel--nice surprise. I was surprised to see how much they cleaned up and updates the first floor--the bars, the wine "cellar", the sushi and pizza kitchenettes...even the dune side bar was redone.

Only complaint is the rooms. I agree with many other reviewers. For $250+ per night, I would expect a bed that isn't made of a couple of sheets of plywood on top of a row of cinderblocks. The beds are very uncomfortable and the furniture is old.

it's sort of all worth it though when you're sitting out on the porch with a Corona at the end of a long day though. C'mon, it's the jersey shore. Everything is expensive and unless you blow $5K a week on a house, very little of it is new. I look forward to another long weekend at the windrift in 2010!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honkbopsax
pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We stayed at the Windrift Hotel this past
week--Sept.1-2-3 and had a GREAT time.
This is a very nice hotel, competent and
friendly staff, clean room (very important to me)
and great location. The nightly entertainment
was enjoyable. I thank Rick and his staff
for a memorable 3 days. We can't
wait to return.
Lynne and Mike

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
La Mer Beachfront  Inn
La Mer Beachfront Inn
#19 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Windrift Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!