“Great place at the shore”
Review of Desert Sand Resort

Desert Sand Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I was pleasantly surprised! Brand new rooms, very very clean. More room than expected. Thought it was just a room with 2 beds. It was a small efficiency. Would definitely stay again. The check in was easy. Parking was easy. Location great. Would be nicer if on the beach, but it's just a short walk across the street. Avalon is the Jersey Shore Gem

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 23 August 2012

If you care about Internet access--DO NOT STAY HERE. As I need to use the Internet for work on a nightly basis, I asked about Internet access when we reserved and also the morning of arrival--was told that all the rooms had access, no problem. When I pulled out my computer at 11 PM after the kids went to sleep--could not access the Internet. Was told by the front desk that since our room was at the end of the hotel opposite from where the wireless router is in the office, to try connecting outside the room (nice at 11 PM), that didn't work either. Finally ended up having to sit outside at a table by the pool until midnight, having to put up with the smokers and cell phone users outside their rooms, along with the passing traffic. When I spoke with the manager, she said that this has been a problem for a week before arriving. When I told her that I was falsely assured that Internet access was available in all the rooms before arriving, and that I would not have booked a room at this hotel if I had known about the Internet problem, she made no attempt to rectify the situation saying that the wireless is maintained by an outside company and not a hotel (no duh). I asked if a discount to the night's stay could be applied to compensate for the aggravation and hassle, and she refused. Nice concern about customer satisfaction, right? The couples staying on either side of us also had problems with Internet access and were unhappy. In 20 years of traveling, have NEVER stayed at a place with problems with Internet access, aside from the fact that the place lied about it.

That being said--the rooms were decent and clean, and the front desk staff was very nice and accomodating about use of the shower facilities after going to the beach. However, would NEVER stay here again based on the poor management and Internet issues when other better places are available.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience the issues with our WIFI network caused you and your family. This has been an issue, with a third party vendor, we have been trying to rectify. As we are exploring different options and solutions, please realize the building is constructed of concrete and steel, the company that supplies our WIFI infrastructure has been trying different mediums to emit a strong signal throughout the entire company.
Please recognize the motel did follow through on our mission and competency to provide overnight accommodations in a clean, comfortable, and safe environment; and the WIFI network on the property is an amenity that we are working to improve.
We hope our comments are as helpful as we find yours,
Desert Sand Management

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for two nights midweek. The room was very clean and met our expectations. It is close to the beach. Indoor pool is a plus. Only negative is there are not too many places to eat nearby, but about 15 minute walk to Stone Harbor 96th St. which isn't too bad. All in all, great place for a quick getaway to a nice shore town without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My family has been going to Avalon for over 15 years. We had stayed at this resort happily for many years without a single complaint. Over the last 2-3 years it has changed.

There are now charges if you want to reserve a specific room (1/2 the motel is brand new; 1/2 is very old). Of course some of us need a 1st floor if there are kids...others like to be away from the pool. There's a $25 charge for that.

Have a kid over 18? There a $10 a night charge for that.

Have a noise complaint or a problem? Don't complain. They will make you feel like you are causing the problem for asking.

One patron had a wall air conditioner not work in 90+ degree heat..3 days to fix it and didn't offer them a new room or a discount for having to sleep in a hot box.

Common areas like the deck: not as clean as they used to be.

Outdoor Pool during our stay: green for 2 days until someone actually complained and no one would allow their children to swim in the pool. Filter was broken and no one checked!

It's a shame. We've had lots of great memories there but there are just too many negatives to go back. The management needs to take a hard look at how they treat their customers. You can easily drop $1,500+ for a week here to be treated terribly. Very bad experience!

Room Tip: Pay the $25 to request a new room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns; and would like to thank you for your unvarying patronage. The management has decided to implement a onetime, per reservation, fee for guests that request specific room locations or numbers. The grounds for this fee is not to discourage or present hardship, but to negate any potential room loss from our inability to move specific requests, room or floor, to accommodate other reservations around those days.

In reference to the charge for children, the motel has always had a fee for children over a certain age, as many other establishments in Cape May County. A majority of our rooms are priced for double occupancy and some, depending on the layout, are priced for more occupants; and this is standard throughout the industry. We would be remiss to correct you that children 11 and under stay free; now please keep in mind a majority of shore establishments charge for children over the age of 6.

Regarding the statements about maintenance and grounds, we truly find these erroneous. The motel has from 7am till 11pm at least 2 members of the maintenance staff on the property, and for the remaining hours of the day someone is on call. These gentlemen are constantly sweeping, taking out garbage, and giving attention to anything in need of repair. Also the guest with the broken air-conditioner, as soon as they called the front office our maintenance personal went to the room and switched out their air conditioner with a new one.

Our outdoor pool motor did cease to work, back in late June. This matter, however, was resolved within a matter of 24 hours, and all chemical and PH levels remained adequate to provide for a clean and safe swimming environment.

We hope our comments are as helpful as we find yours,
Desert Sand Management.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was our first time at the Desert Sand Resort and we weren't disappointed. We will definitely be back again!! The staff is so friendly and accommodating, rooms are clean and spacious. Motel is close to beach, restaurants, and Stone Harbor. The motel was quiet for the most part, with the exception of Saturday night. The young people took over the pool and outside area in the evening and were kind of loud late into the night...I guess that is to be expected on a Saturday night!! My only recommendations would be a comfy chair or two in the living afea( we were in a king bed efficiency room), more hooks for towels and suits in the bathroom and having the ice machine dispense more than two cups of ice for a quarter. I understand having to charge for ice otherwise people would just take advantage of it, but really the amount of ice you get when you are paying for it is ridiculous.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carley S
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had to make a short trip to Cape May County on business and where I usually stay was full, so I decided to try the Desert Sand. I was not disappointed at all!!! The rooms are beautiful and extremely clean, the staff is wonderful and it's just one block from the beach!! I had to make time to enjoy the large indoor pool, how sensational that is! Plus got some shopping in at nearby Stone Harbor. It was a very relaxing trip and I will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PhillyGirl63
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I absolutely loveeeeeee this hotel my family and i have been coming here for 20 years and it just gets better every year! the staff is so friendly and the hotel is always so up to date, nice and clean. it is in the perfect location just 1 block from the beach and a few minutes from stone harbor and avalon town! it is definitely a family hotel, not much partying going on here its a very quiet and peaceful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jessica P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
ICONA Avalon
The Reeds at Shelter Haven
The Reeds at Shelter Haven
#2 of 6 in Stone Harbor
Sealark Bed and Breakfast

Been to Desert Sand Resort? Share your experiences!