“Clean, well maintained”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Maryland
“Clean, well maintained”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We spend 2 nights at this property. I would not call it a resort but it was a clean, comfortable room. It was mid-May and the property was very clean and well maintained. There was a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the room. The bathroom is small but the room was fine for a couple for a weekend. The location is very convenient. We ate meals out and enjoyed being able to have coffee in our room in the morning. We would definite return.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and it was fine, but during the busy summer weekend that location maybe n...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bauer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bellmawr, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My wife an I have stayed at DESERT SANDS many times We have found it gives us the best price out of all places to stay in AVALON.Yes it is not a resort. It is a very clean place to stay.All rooms are very nice.The people at the front desk are very friendly They know us by name.We park our car an never move it.Because their are 5 restauants to choose from.Four bars to choose from.Best beach in NJ one block away.Geat view of fireworks on JULY4. WILDWOOD only a few miles away.Stay here and see for yourself.Check out there specials.You can save money.

Room Tip: check out specials you can save money.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank william m
Parlin, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Spent three nights here in late September with some friends who have stayed here before. The location is fine, just a block to the ocean beach, a five minute drive to the attractive little town of Stone Harbor, and about 25 minutes to the quaint town of Cape May. The "resort", however, is really just a long, three story motel with rooms like a typical Holiday Inn. A small pool with some lounge chairs does not a resort make. That said, the room was spotlessly clean, service was excellent, and pricing was relatively low for this desirable location on the Jersey Shore.

The beach didn't impress me - as a life long Jersey resident I prefer the softer sand beaches further north, especially Long Beach Island and the Seaside Heights peninsula. If I return to this area I'll stay at a B&B in Cape May instead.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have stayed at this "Resort" many times over the years since 2000. Up until a couple of years ago, there have not been too many issues and I have never written a review. But my last two stays just this summer warranted a review. I was there for a week in August and was unable to go in the outdoor pool due to the fact that it looked like a swamp!!!! And they still had it open. When I complained at the front desk, the lady acted like she had no idea and said "It's green?" I mean come on...there is a window in the office facing the pool! They said they were working on it after that, but saw no improvement. I read their repsonse to someone else's review that they had this problem fixed in June...well what was going on in August?? You couldn't even see people's legs who were in the pool!!!

And I was just there this past weekend. The main reason we book this hotel is the indoor pool that is suppossed to be open til 10PM. I go running at night and look forward to a cool dip in the pool after showering off. When I got there last night before 9PM it was closed. I asked nicely at the front desk and I was told it was due to electrical storms, which I would have been fine with if there were any storms...nothing was going on!!! When I told her this and asked if the doors could be opened she became rude and kept answering me with "that is our policy" and "it is for the safety of our guests." And I wouldn't be complaining if there was a reason for the caution. I know there were storms in Northern Jersey, just not in Avalon. (At least not before 10PM) I think it was just laziness and inconsideration for their guests!!! I will not go back!

And the plastic on the mattresses makes for a very hot sleep>

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam S
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience or hassle you may have experienced while staying at the Desert Sand. The issue with our outdoor pool during that time was a problem. The management did take all precautions, multiple times daily, to monitor the pool to ensure the chemical and PH levels in the pool were fit for use by our guests. The issue with the pool was resolved, but unfortunately took longer to rein in than management anticipated.
In regards to the indoor pool closing, the staff is advised to close and keep closed the pools on the property not only during an electrical storm, but if there is a threat of a storm in the area. This guideline is stated in the NJ pool operator code handbook. We find the accusation of laziness, absurd and preposterous. We express a regretful position when our guests cannot take full advantage of our amenities. However, one of the Desert Sands first obligations is to ensure the overall safety of our guests.
Desert Sand Management
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Desert Sands many times from 2008 - 2012 and have always had a positive experience. However it should be known that the Desert Sands is in no way a resort. In fact I would say it's closer to a high end motel than it is to a resort. But what it lacks in pomp and circumstance the Desert Sands makes up for in other important categories:

1. Location: Right across the street from the beach and the Windrift where there is always something fun happening even during the week. Technically in Avalon, but walking distance from downtown Stone Harbor. It is however a 5 - 10 minute drive from downtown Avalon

2. Pool, Sundeck, snack bar, FROZEN DRINKS!! Even if it's not the nicest or biggest pool, still a lot of late afternoon fun to be had...

3. Good Value: The rooms are clean and fairly spacious. Rates are reasonable for the outrageous Avalon/Stone Harbor area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan L
Whippany, NJ
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Desert Sands is recently renovated, very clean and just 2 blocks from the beach. It has 2 great pools, one indoors and one outdoors. There are tables with umbrellas where you can eat outside, and the parking lot is easy to get in and out of. The only problem is that the Internet does not work for all devices, and this is a known problem at the hotel. They said they are looking into buying new equipment in order to fix the problem. My kids were able to play on the iPad but I could not get onto my work laptop at all.

Room Tip: Choose the larger efficiency.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank snoopymagoo
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns.

Thank you for your compliments. We do pride ourselves in our cleanliness.

We do apologize for any inconvenience the issues with our WIFI network caused you and your family. This has been an issue, with a third party vendor, we have been trying to rectify. As we are exploring different options and solutions, please realize the building is constructed of concrete and steel, the company that supplies our WIFI infrastructure has been trying different mediums to emit a strong signal throughout the entire company.

Please recognize the motel did follow through on our mission and competency to provide overnight accommodations in a clean, comfortable, and safe environment; and the WIFI network on the property is an amenity that we are working to improve.

We hope our comments are as helpful as we find yours,
Desert Sand Management
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The rooms were clean and well maintained and the staff were extremely friendly. The furnishings are a bit basic and dated, but that wasn't a bother at all. Beach is 1 short block away. I would definitely stay here again! Beach tags included with your room price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
La Mer Beachfront  Inn
La Mer Beachfront Inn
#17 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Desert Sand Resort? Share your experiences!