“Perfect in Avalon”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Perfect in Avalon”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I recently stayed here with my son and my nephew. It was very clean & updated.The, staff was very polite. Great location. I stayed at the Concord suites last year, although very nice there I like this place better. Better price and equal value. I like all the room choices too. They can accomodate all kinds of family sizes.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat, I'm already looking to book again!

Room Tip: Book towards the back rooms if you want not to be near the pool area and the kids.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tina L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Exton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Originally booked the Golden Inn but received a call a week before my stay letting me know of a glitch. They overbooked and booked me at the Desert Sands. I wasn't happy as I love the Golden Inn and know what to expect there. I have to say I was very surprised. Although its not on the level on the Golden Inn I would stay here again. It was convenient, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Dana L
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights after researching the area hotels and selected the Desert Sand based on price and location. Overall the stay was great--parking was always available, room was very clean and always serviced promptly, free use of beach tags, indoor and outdoor pools with a lot of patio space and deck chairs. There were 3 complaints I have though these would not prevent me from recommending this property or staying here again. First, the beds were not very comfortable. They felt old and creaky and each morning I woke with a sore back, Second was the air conditioning which was a window unit rather than central air. Although the room was kept cool enough, it always seemed to be a bit humid and moist inside the room. Finally, the water pressure in the shower was lower than I'd like but again, not a deal-breaker. These minor issues did not distract from a nice stay but I wanted to give others a FYI. Overall, great stay and we would return!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank huthmacb
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have stayed at the Desert Sand many times, and have up until now always had a fairly decent stay. Unfortunately, this time was different. I am not sure if they have new management or what, but the except for nice one woman at the front desk, all others were very unpleasant, so not a good start to our stay. Additionally, take their signs for towing seriously!. One of my companions forgot to move her car from the parking lot after unloading it and her car was towed, costing her almost $200 to retrieve. While our room was clean, the air conditioner was right next to our bed and very noisey, the toilet didn't flush properly and the fuze blew out when we tried to use our hair dryer.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank blondekr
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience or unpleasant experiences you may have incurred while staying at the Desert Sand.
Regarding the matter of the towed car, realize the motel only has one parking spot for every room on the property, and if parking becomes an issue for customers, especially late at night, the staff is advised to give warnings and if need be tow vehicles. The motel's policy is to place a warning on any car that does not display its parking permit. The warning notice displays the time the warning was placed on the car and at what time the tow company will be called, one hour after the warning is given.
Concerning the issues with the air-conditioner and toilet the motel has maintenance staff on property or on call 24 hours per day. If an issue arises we encourage our guest to let the staff know so the matter can be rectified.
The issue regarding the blown breaker is a matter the management is addressing. Please realize the building is nearly 45 years old, and the amount of power demanded per room, with cell phones, laptops/tablets and hair dryers, is greater than it was even 10 years ago. The management is, and has been, taking steps annually to reconfigure and upgrade the building infrastructure. Unfortunately, due to the expenses and logistics involved this is not something that can be done all at once.
Management
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Desert Sand is a great Value Motel in a great location on the Jersey shore. Located a block from the beach, and within easy walking distance of several bars with summer entertainment, we have found this motel to be all you need. For years we have rental weekly condo's to accommodate our kids and their friends, but now that it's just the two of us, a week a King room is more than comfortable. Excellent, friendly housekeeping staff, beach tags included and easy access to the inland highways for day trips make for a perfect week. I recommend taking the time to visit the Cape May Winery (Great Dry Reds, and nesting Eagles in the trees on the edge of the vineyard!), Cape May Brewing Company and the Tuckahoe Brewing Company. All three located within 25 minutes of the Desert Sands.

Room Tip: 2nd level near the East end of the property keeps you away from the pool traffic and closer to the 2...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ed B
Chicago
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed 2 nights here last weekend because we were at the shore for a wedding. Location is a block from the beach and is an easy walk. Though if you plan to be in the downtown Stone Harbor area, it is a long walk from there, more of a drive. Plenty of free parking near the hotel. You can borrow the hotel's beach tags. Rooms were clean and adequate and had everything that was needed. For the price we paid this was definitely a good value and I would consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MatthewFromChicago
Carlisle
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The photos made this hotel out to be much nicer than in actuality. We were disappointed by the quality of room and cleanliness of bedding. When spending the rate per night, we expected much nicer. When using the microwave in addition to the television, the power blew and the breaker box had to be flipped. This was unexpected and annoying.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim H
The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience or aggravation you may have experienced while staying at the Desert Sand.
In reference to the cleanliness of the bedding, or overall room cleanliness, we treat these matters very seriously and vigorously. If a guest has any question or concern regarding cleanliness or safety, in a guestroom or common area, the staff is advised to address them immediately. However, if a circumstance arises and a member of the staff is not informed or a guest waits till he or she checks out, the staff will have little or no chance to rectify the issue for the individual. Another imperative reason why guests need to inform staff promptly is some of the daily tasks and materials are handled by third parties, and if there happens to be an issue with the goods and services they provide management needs to know so the mater can dealt with properly.
Desert Sand Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
The Beachcomber Resort
Icona Diamond Beach
Icona Diamond Beach
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,124 reviews

Been to Desert Sand Resort? Share your experiences!