“Held hostage at the Jersey shore”
Review of Desert Sand Resort

Desert Sand Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I booked a end of summer fling package for the first weekend after Labor Day. When I arrived at the hotel they denied that I booked for the package and booked me at the regular rate. No amount of discussion on my behalf helped my cause. It is my feeling that because there is so much competition for rooms ( few offerings in the Stone Harbor/Avalon area) hotels can do anything they like and you are at their mercy. In my case I would have no other place to stay and they would get to keep my deposit. The staff were far from accommodating or helpful. There were no regrets just a kind of condescending attitude. In addition the indoor pool was so chlorinated it was probably unhealthy to breathe the air, Cleanliness of the room was inadequate. A drawer puller fell off and could not be replaced. There is no comparison to the hotels/motels that I have stayed in in Florida. You pay less for a beautiful room with better amenities/location .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen H
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience or hassle you may have experienced while staying at the Desert Sand. The packages we offer for our weekend specials, and any special, are of limited availability. When a guest makes a reservation our reservationists are very clear on the particulars of what the motel has to offer and the availability of rooms and any specials. Once the reservation is made a confirmation or deposit request letter, if applicable, is emailed or mailed to the guest. The staff encourages our patrons to read these letters through to guarantee the information concerning the reservation is correct so no surprises arise at the time of check in.
Regarding the indoor pool and the odor of chlorine, our indoor pool is exactly that. An enclosed pool; the facility does have a proper functioning ventilation system and ample awning windows. The levels of chlorine are monitored daily by maintenance and management, but in addition, management hires a third party organization to test our pools several times throughout the week to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment.
Concerning the cleanliness and maintenance of our rooms, our establishment takes pride in the manor we care for our property. We have staff on hand 24 hours per day to assist our guest and rectify any issues an individual may incur. However, a guest must inform a staff member of any issues so the matter can be addressed. The drawer puller or knob, which our dresser drawers have two of, are a particular item we need to order from the manufacturer if no spares are available. In order to maintain continuity, but also depending on significance of functionality and comfort, this establishment simply will not replace an item with something that isn't consistent with other items on the property.
Desert Sand Management

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Excellent rooms. All new and modern. Very clean. Nice staff. The rooms are smaller so 2 adults is a good fit. The pool area is small, however they have adjacent outdoor seating. Very close to Avalon and the beach areas as well!

1  Thank TShed
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Very nice hotel in Avalon. We stayed in a B suite and had all the necessities we needed, the room was clean. Front desk was nice and we had no problems. Easy to walk to the beach, the town is a great place for families. We did not use the indoor pool because of time constraints but it looked nice. The bathroom had newer fixtures and was clean enough. The bed was fine, not too hard or soft, i didn't wake up achy which is always a plus with me. If we go back to Avalon, we will go back to Desert Sand.

2  Thank beachgirl223
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My daughter & I stayed here a few years ago for two nights & decided to come back with the family. We stayed in the 2 bedroom/2 bath efficiency suite. Bedrooms & bathrooms were clean & modern - looked like everything was new. Housekeeping did a great job everyday too. It was nice to have a a kitchen so we did not have to eat all our meals out. My only recommendation would be to include seating for 6 to eat since the the room is for 6 people. You can only accomodate 4, maybe 5 around the counter. There is plenty of room in the living room to add a small bistro type table - this would also be nice for additional seating to watch TV. Otherwise, the room was great & location is terrific too. It was nice to have a pool as well as the indoor pool in case of bad weather.

I would recommend the hotel & will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kbtrips_11
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Front desk was so nice when we checked in. We traveled from Norther NJ and got there earlier than our check in time, and they were so accommodating and pleasant about letting us check in early. Very close to the beach and overall a nice place for couples or families. There is an awesome restaurant Fuze on the property as well.

1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was the first time in at least 20 years since i stayed at Desert Sand Resort, Avalon, NJ. We were there for my niece's wedding. Much to my surprise, it did NOT change much since then. We did have a great view of the ocean, the room was clean but i was disappointed that there were little to no updates. The price was high and this is why we stopped going there, the town has grown beautifully but updates are needed for those prices.

Room Tip: 2nd floor ocean side
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Desert_SandNJ, Manager at Desert Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

The motel appreciates your feedback and concerns; and want to thank you for your patronage. Please realize over the past 5 years management has spent a substantial amount of money to renovate not only the esthetics of the property, but the infrastructure. Given the amount of time and money invested in the property this has still only allowed us to totally refurbish 70% of our rooms. Whereas all our furniture and beds have been replaced; appointments such as drapery, wall and floor finishes are an ongoing activity. Management makes renovations and upgrades part of its annual agenda. However, do to the expenses of labor and materials and logistics involved we are only able to perform a finite amount of work every year.
Addressing the pricing for accommodations at the Desert Sand, one must realize our property is one of the more economical lodging options in Avalon or Stone Harbor. With the narrow supply of hotel/motel establishments in our seasonal destination town, the demand drives the price.
Desert Sand Management

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I recently stayed here with my son and my nephew. It was very clean & updated.The, staff was very polite. Great location. I stayed at the Concord suites last year, although very nice there I like this place better. Better price and equal value. I like all the room choices too. They can accomodate all kinds of family sizes.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat, I'm already looking to book again!

Room Tip: Book towards the back rooms if you want not to be near the pool area and the kids.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tina L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
ICONA Avalon
The Reeds at Shelter Haven
The Reeds at Shelter Haven
#2 of 6 in Stone Harbor
Sealark Bed and Breakfast

Been to Desert Sand Resort? Share your experiences!