“Disappointing Take Out Cooked Crabs”

Avalon Seafood & Produce Market
Ranked #28 of 67 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have purchased Blue Claws here every year we come to the area because they have been consistently good.However yesterday's batch of wasn't up to those standards 4 out 24 were inedible .....appear they were cooked dead....almost mush. Particularly disappointing since that is so easy to detect.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We have ordered takeout platters here in years past and it has been pretty good, but this time it was below average. My broiled stuffed shrimp was tasty, but the baked potato was undercooked. The deviled crab cake was hard and cold. Really not good. For the $150 we spent on one take out dinner, I was hoping for better quality. The prices are too high for below average food. I suggest an upgrade or makeover for the crab cakes and why would the food be cold when I picked it up before the time they said it would be done? It felt like a huge waste of money.

1  Thank CEO5555
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We vacationed in neighboring Stone Harbor the week of August 10 and I wanted to make my wife my specialty grilled tuna steaks for her birthday that Wednesday. I checked Avalon Seafood Tuesday morning to see whether they had a reliable supply of fresh tuna and was told that they always carry tuna. It was yellow fin, which is what one finds mostly these days. I wanted to order approximately seven pounds of the stuff, sliced 1 1/4 inches thick, and they took the order. When I picked it up Wednesday morning I could tell by looking at it that they really wanted to do their best for me--perfectly sliced steaks of uniform red coloration, exactly 1 1/4 inches thick. It was definitely sashimi grade tuna, even if not officially graded. I grilled it medium rare to rave reviews from the 14 members of our extended family who dined with us. The price was $19.95 per pound, which is a bit high by central Pennsylvania standards (when you can even get the stuff in central PA), but not too much more than I would have paid at home. And this was Avalon in high vacation season, so I felt the price was not unreasonable. This is an excellent place to go to purchase fresh fish and seafood.

2  Thank TBSIII
Reviewed 17 July 2013

During a vacation in Avalon, we wanted to order seafood, and came across this place. When we went there to pick up our order, it was very loud, and noisy. However, when we got home and started eating, HOLY WOAH! I ordered a Lobster roll, and thought well, how good can it be? Well did I under estimate this! It took me right back to New England. It was DELISHHH!! The roll was so buttery, the lobster was excellent, its was just so incredible! Awesome! I will definetly order from there again!

1  Thank stephanied831
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Excellent fresh food and service. Large menu selection. Pleasant staff. Easy access. Highly recommend. Tip: call early to order takeout.

1  Thank paa9