“Where's the meat???”
Review of La Vecchia Fontana

La Vecchia Fontana
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Fontana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 67 Restaurants in Avalon
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Afghani
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th and First Ave
Description: La Vecchia Fontana brings fine dining to the shore. Beautifully located a block from the beach in Avalon, New Jersey, La Vecchia Fontana brings a breathtaking Mediterranean style ambiance to the Jersey shore, complete with an elegantly infectious Southern Italian seaside villa decor. La Vecchia Fontana prepares deliciously authentic and classic Italian cuisine served with charm and smile, where guests can let their hair down, relax and take a vacation from their vacation. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and an appetite for classic fine Italian food and homemade desserts and get swept away at La Vecchia Fontana.
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The crabmeat, that is. The Queen ordered the Capellini Alla Positano (spaghetti with crabmeat). For $27, there was hardly even a sliver of crabmeat. And the pasta wasn't good either. The KIng ordered the chicken parm, but was served the veal parm instead. Not a big deal of a difference except that it illustrates the noise level of this place to the point where the waiter most likely did not hear the order clearly. Don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure!
We visited this place with our friends who are Avalon residents. They brought the wine with them, but I left with the wine on me, not in me since the King doesn't even consume the stuff. Not sure why the waiter did not leave the cork with the bottle but we requested a replacement cork which the busboy tried to insert at which time he spilled half of the what was left on me. No problemo, but it would have been nice if the waiter or manager offered some assistance, which they didn't.
Why was this place so busy? My guess is because there are a lack of dining options in Avalon and patrons go there by default.

Only positive thing I can say is that the waiter brought out a complimentary desert for the four of us to share, before the wine incident occurred. The only explanation for this that we can figure is that the waiter was trying to make amends for the obvious dissatisfaction that we had with our dinners. The King enjoyed the desert immensely as it was the best part of the dinner.

Bottom line - too pricey, too noisy, too messy for us. Next time we'll go to Tony's in Atlantic City for a pizza.

1  Thank KingAtlanticCity
There are newer reviews for La Vecchia Fontana

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having been to the Fontana in Strathmere, we were excited that there was now one in Avalon. We were early for our reservations but were seated immediately. Service was attentive and the specials explained with gusto. My wife had the soft shell crab, our friends the veal piccata (they said it was one of the best they ever had) and I the lobster ravioli with crabmeat and scallops UMMM! We also had a side of gorgonzolla gnocchi- our favorite pasta dish served at Fontana. The meal was superb and we had a great time with our friends but the restaurant was too loud especially since they had a keyboard player and TWO loud singers who seemed to sing for too long, too loud and sounded too screechy. It did take away from our total enjoyment. Keep the music...can the singers.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We had 8:30 PM reservations and got seated at 9:30 PM. They definitely overbooked and did not care much that they had a a lot of people waiting in the lobby. The noise level was off the charts. I have a Decibel app on my iPhone and it was at its highest level ever. It was the loudest, most uncomfortable dining experience I've ever had, and the food quality was not enough to overcome this totally ridiculous noise level. I would recommend staying far away from this place.

2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Although I prefer the Sea Isle location, you can't beat this food in Avalon. And BYOB is amazing! Small place so reserve in advance. The beet salad I had was unreal.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The food we were served here is what you'd expect from a chain 'Italian restaurant', but the price was double. Entrees were over-sauced, over-topped messes. If you think The Olive Garden is Italian food, this might be the place for you.

Wait staff was fine. Atmosphere was ok once you walk past the moldy-looking, musty smelling air conditioning unit in the ceiling next to the hostess table.