“A throwback to the Jersey of yesteryear, but a nice place.”

The Beachcomber Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Tokyo
“A throwback to the Jersey of yesteryear, but a nice place.”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

First and foremost, The Beachcomber is located ONE block from the beach! This location is ideal for pretty much any type of visitor. Other hotel/resorts have loud, noisy restaurants and bars attached, splitting up Management's customer base, but here, you've only got rooms. Luckily, you can walk to about 5-6 different restaurants in under 5min. Bars and decent summer nightlife can be found just on the beach, either beachfront resort.

Secondly, addressing some of the NEGATIVE comments here...hmm, let's put things in perspective. Who books a room and expects a full refund if you need to cancel? In what industry is this common? Please beware of Commenters who only review ONE hotel or restaurant and give it ONE star. Please, ohh please, disregard them. I'm pretty sure they're not happy with anyone, ever. And if you call the day before a National Holiday expecting a discount...hahaha. Get honest with yourselves, people. We have far to high of expectations and play victims when things are Five-Star Quality, even though you're paying Two-Stars.

On to the ACTUAL hotel. The Beachcomber, as I said, is a return to Classic Jersey. It's got rather small rooms, and the facade is dated, but it still doesn't look or feel out of place. To address comments about rooms ***These are INDIVIDUALLY OWNED condos, so my advice would be to call and speak with someone about room decor and style. Some might have been updated last year, some in the 90's. Be a smart consumer and talk to someone. There are three floors, but no elevator. Maid services start early, and my one complaint is that they aren't keen on being quiet during their startup. Every day during our 5-night stay, I could hear staff talking outside before I would have liked waking up. So chaps, listen to your headphones, groove your way across the pool while cleaning it, but PLEASE don't talk to each other all morning...

I've stayed here multiple times, and it hasn't changed one bit. For good or ill. I've never found the Staff to be impolite or rude, contrary to some of those ONE Review commenters, just realize where you're staying. This is a seasonal spot, not the Four Seasons Maui (which I also reviewed) Please stay here to enjoy the slow pace of life, proximity to the beach, and the Jersey of old.

Room Tip: Speak directly to the Front Desk staff. Ask about which rooms have been upgraded and book! Some ro...
9 Thank wandererer151

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I booked a one bedroom unit with two double beds for myself & my son. The unit was very clean with an extra sink and mirror in the bedroom which came in handy. The kitchen and bathroom looked like they were recently updated. The kitchen had a microwave, cooktop and a small dishwasher which we used. They also provided the detergent for the dishwasher. There were two a.c. units, one in the bedroom and one in the living area. The heated pool was very nice and clean. The front desk staff were very nice. The only slightly negative thing I would say is that they need an elevator or a lift of some kind to bring the luggage up to the third floor. I believe they could use one of the existing stirwells to put this in. Mangement should consider this. Other than that, no problems at all.

Room Tip: If you have any problem with climbing stairs, book a first floor room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Star517
Berwick, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Decided on short notice to take a few days vacation in Avalon NJ. Had never been there but had heard it was nice. Called the beachcomber the day before & was able to get reservations for a studio -1 queen bed & 1 murphy bed. Expected a very small room but was plesantly surprised - plenty of room for 3 of us & very clean. Large refrige, microwave, dishwasher. 1 block from beach, near the shops on 96th street. Definetly would go back. People at the front desk were exceptionally helpful. To find anything negative, I could only say the wall of the shower was showing some wear.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Hojaho
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Made a reservation at this motel in May of this year for an upcoming wedding that I was slated to attend in September. Becasue of unforseen circumstances I needed to cancel my reservation and did this over a month before my scheduled stay. Despite giving the motel ample time, they insisted on charging a $25 cancellation fee. This was never told to me over the phone when I gave my credit card number for the deposit. In my opinion this is terrible customer service. Unless you are 100% sure that you will be staying at this property avoid making a reservation - you may end up paying in the end!

5 Thank MoneyM
South Salem, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have been going to the Beachcomber ever since I was a little girl. It always makes me feel like I am coming home. The hotel is in a great location for the beach, only about a block away. The rooms are all equipped with kitchens allowing one to cook their own meals. One of the changes that has happened since I first started going is that some of the units are owned and cared for by individuals. Sometimes the owners do not have the best taste in furniture or decor. The staff has always been extremely friendly and like family to me. They have always been willing to let us use the facilities while we wait to check in to our room and if our room is done early we are allowed to check in earlier. I look forward to visit year after year.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank dreamergirl4686
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was our first stay In Avalon and we found the beach comber to be a nice quiet clean place to stay, which was a block from the beach. Stay in an efficiency 311, this condo was perfect for my husband and myself. There was a Murphy bed however there was a regular bed in the room so we did not have to UAE it. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Missy418
Parsippany, NJ
Reviewed 15 July 2011

My family has been going to The Beachcomber for about ten years. This time, we were only able to stay a few days. The Beachcomber staff does whatever it can to accommodate its guests. We arrived 4-5 hours prior to check in, yet they did what they could to free up a room early for us. That allowed us to enjoy the beach much earlier. Upon check out, they allowed us to use their beach tags for the balance of the day. These are just small ways in which the staff does what it can to please its guests. The grounds are well manicured. The private pool is always clean and very warm. They have added a very gas grills to the patio area. The location could not be better - a short walk to a prime area of beach, a short drive south to Stone Harbor and a short drive north to Avalon.

If you're looking for a place to come to relax with family in a safe environment, this is a great place. If you're looking for party central with loud music blaring and drunk patrons running amok, go elsewhere. And if you're expecting Ritz Carlton luxury, feel free to rent a condo for $8,000 per week. If you want a nice, clean place to stay near a beautiful beach where the proprietors and staff care about their patrons, then The Beachcomber will suit your needs!

9 Thank tfinchler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#17 of 37 in Cape May
Icona Cape May
Icona Cape May
#1 of 37 in Cape May

Been to The Beachcomber Resort? Share your experiences!