“Very nice, clean and location!”

The Beachcomber Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We (4 adults) stay in the one bedroom efficiency for 3 days/2 nights recently. We were in a corner unit, 3rd floor that had ocean views, nice treat. The place was very clean and had everything that we could ask for. Two TVs, good air conditioners, plenty of towels and kitchen was stocked. Pull out sofa was new, comfy. Bed in the bedroom wasn't comfortable but it's the beach. Location is a quick walk to the beach (1 block) and on same road as two nice outside restaurants, tiki/beach bars. Pool is very clean and nice surroundings. The staff is all friendly!
Beach comber worked great for us, I'd return for sure as long as it's not more than 3-4 of us.

Room Tip: third floor, corner unit - 317 or 318 sunrise side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amsandbeach

Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed for 3 nights for our first visit to the Beachcomber. Overall very pleased and happy with our accommodations. It was a last minute trip so I couldn't be too picky regarding what room we wanted because of the limited availability. The staff was very friendly, quick to clean-up an kept the entire grounds very clean and comfortable. The pool might be the best in town with its private setting and plenty of chairs/tables for all. We have young children and The Beachcomber worked out great. Close to the beach, park, pool, bars/restaurants but also quiet and cozy for the family. Next time we will plan in advance and upgrade to a bigger and newer room!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We had a 3rd Floor 1 BR & also the efficiency next door. Great location, wonderful pool and helpful staff. The housekeeping department is great - on top of everything!! Definitely recommend the Beachcomber for anyone looking for a shore stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SwankySocialite
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We had a 1 bedroom unit on the 3rd floor. Overall I was very happy, the unit was clean and pleasantly furnished-shore appropriate. Two air conditioners were more than enough to keep the place very cool. The kitchenette had everything you would need, dishwasher, small fridge, and 2 burners, plenty of plates etc. One block to the beach. Two other local motels have restaurants/bars attached and were noisy so this was a good stay if you wanted to make sure you were not disturbed. My only complaint was that the bed was not comfortable, but I am admittedly very picky about this. I believe each unit is individually owned so I would recommend asking about amenities and furnishing when making a reservation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie C
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Beachcomber for the first time last summer. My fiancee's family has been vacationing in Avalon for over twenty years and they have always chose the Beachcomber as their place to stay. The rooms are kept very clean and I believe some of the units are owned as time shares, so each room is decorated differently and some of them have kitchens units which can save you some $$ while on vacation. The hotel has a very nice pool area which is perfect for relaxing after a day at the beach. The beach, by the way, is literally across the street from the hotel and it is one of the best I have visited (I grew up an hour away from Cape Cod, I'd like to think I know east coast beaches). The hotel also has beach passes that you can rent during your stay. Additionally, the hotel is a short drive (and a do-able walk) to downtown Stone Harbor as well.

You have a bunch of options of where to stay when you're visiting Avalon/Stone Harbor; but the Beachcomber is great for families and couples who want to experience the best of the Jersey shore. Based on it's clientele, it's not a place where loud teenagers or frat buddies are going to stay and party (Avalon/Stone Harbor generally doesn't attract those types like other shore towns do) and the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. I completely understand why my fiancee's family comes back year after year, and I look forward to visiting again this summer.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Bluescreen2
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Second time staying here. The one bedroom suites are very comfortable for a family of 4. The best thing about this place is the pool. It is esthetically pleasing and nicely heated (unlike other hotel pools which are heated only in name). My only complaint is that for the price, they should provide shampoo in the bathroom and towels at the pool.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank howdad
Reviewed 14 September 2011

First and foremost, The Beachcomber is located ONE block from the beach! This location is ideal for pretty much any type of visitor. Other hotel/resorts have loud, noisy restaurants and bars attached, splitting up Management's customer base, but here, you've only got rooms. Luckily, you can walk to about 5-6 different restaurants in under 5min. Bars and decent summer nightlife can be found just on the beach, either beachfront resort.

Secondly, addressing some of the NEGATIVE comments here...hmm, let's put things in perspective. Who books a room and expects a full refund if you need to cancel? In what industry is this common? Please beware of Commenters who only review ONE hotel or restaurant and give it ONE star. Please, ohh please, disregard them. I'm pretty sure they're not happy with anyone, ever. And if you call the day before a National Holiday expecting a discount...hahaha. Get honest with yourselves, people. We have far to high of expectations and play victims when things are Five-Star Quality, even though you're paying Two-Stars.

On to the ACTUAL hotel. The Beachcomber, as I said, is a return to Classic Jersey. It's got rather small rooms, and the facade is dated, but it still doesn't look or feel out of place. To address comments about rooms ***These are INDIVIDUALLY OWNED condos, so my advice would be to call and speak with someone about room decor and style. Some might have been updated last year, some in the 90's. Be a smart consumer and talk to someone. There are three floors, but no elevator. Maid services start early, and my one complaint is that they aren't keen on being quiet during their startup. Every day during our 5-night stay, I could hear staff talking outside before I would have liked waking up. So chaps, listen to your headphones, groove your way across the pool while cleaning it, but PLEASE don't talk to each other all morning...

I've stayed here multiple times, and it hasn't changed one bit. For good or ill. I've never found the Staff to be impolite or rude, contrary to some of those ONE Review commenters, just realize where you're staying. This is a seasonal spot, not the Four Seasons Maui (which I also reviewed) Please stay here to enjoy the slow pace of life, proximity to the beach, and the Jersey of old.

Room Tip: Speak directly to the Front Desk staff. Ask about which rooms have been upgraded and book! Some ro...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank wandererer151
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#19 of 37 in Cape May
Colonial Lodge
Colonial Lodge
#4 of 6 in Stone Harbor

Been to The Beachcomber Resort? Share your experiences!