“19 years and I still wouldn't go anywhere else”
Review of The Concord Suites

and 1 more site!
The Concord Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I've vacationed in Avalon every year since I was 1. My first stay at the Concord was when I was 8. I'm 27 now, and my family and I still stay at the Concord for our beach vacation. We've never had any issues there since I can remember. It's convenient for many reasons, including being close to the beach, restaurants, shopping in Stone Harbor, and fishing piers. Now that they have redone it, it's even nicer. They even have a collection of DVDs and board games in their office. If you need extra towels or washcloths, a simple note to the maid, and she'll give them to you. Extremely clean. Parking may be a pain sometimes since the spots are narrow, but the back of the hotel has parallel parking if you fear having your car dented by another's door. Yes, they only allow one car, but that's necessary-there just isn't enough space for two cars per unit. If you have an extra car, it's easy to find a parking spot a block down since it's in a residential area-I've done it, just takes an extra minute or two of walking. No problem. The only thing that I could say my family and I complain about every year-the coffee makers need to be bigger! They only have the 4 cup ones-an issue for a family of 3 who have numerous cups every morning! Maybe they have changed that; we'll see next weekend when I'll be there for my 19th stay! Other than that, a great place!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CelestiaV

Reviewed 11 July 2011

we stayed here with some worries about how far the walk would be to the beach with 2 small children. once arriving our worries were gone. it was only 1 block away and the hotel was clean and the people working there were frienly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jmel76
Reviewed 1 July 2011

It's not often one finds highly comfortable, well-run, value-priced accommodations in a popular resort area, and the Concord Suites is a winner on all counts. This is a reasonably-priced, well-maintained facility just one block from the gorgeous beaches of Avalon/Stone Harbor. What it lacks in not being directly on the beach, it more than makes up for in comfort, atmosphere, and affordability.

The rooms are one-bedroom suites, with a well-equipped kitchenette, hideabed couch, two flat-screen TVs, DVD player (they'll lend you some movies at the office), and daily maid service. The place was totally renovated in 2010, and it shows! An army of maids and maintenance folks keep the rooms and public area spic and span, day and night, while managing to remain unobtrusive. If you need extra towels or have a maintenance issue, they attend to it immediately.

The three stories of rooms are arranged in a single north-facing line, with a fairly narrow open hallway. Each room has two plastic chairs outside, and some guests apparently stay here for extended periods, as they bring their own little table, or window decor. Although the term "family resort" conjures up images of screaming children (for me, at least), this was NOT the case. All children seemed to be under complete control, their parents closely supervising and keeping them from annoying anyone. There is no "partying" going on here, unless you count small groups of adults or families enjoying dinner or drinks at the tables on the sundeck, which runs the length of the motel. The Concord Cafe (see my separate review) is next door (actually attached), and is an excellent option for dining in, or to get some delicious grub to eat in your suite or on the sundeck.

Our check-in was swift and efficient. Although they obviously deal with a lot of repeat business, office staff were wonderful to us as first-timers. There are very few written "rules" (like no glass in pool area), because most guests seem to have plenty of common courtesy, which makes the whole environment pleasant. There are two pools: an unheated one open until 6pm, and a heated one available 'till 8pm. There was only about a five degree difference between the pools, which were both carefully maintained. (You can watch the youthful pool attendants scrubbing the tiles by hand after closing time, and maintenance guys re-cleaning shortly after dawn.)

More details: The flat screen TVs (a larger one in the living room) worked perfectly, as did the DVD player. The coffee-maker, microwave, two-burner stove, and fridge, all appeared spotlessly new. Basic kitchenware and service for four is provided. The bathroom is small, but well-equipped, and the shower/bath is attractively tiled, (as are the exterior hallways). There was a dining table and two chairs, and the couch was great for watching TV or movies. The bed (we had a king) was firm but comfortable. The sheets were not the highest quality, but comfy enough; the towels were nicely soft and fluffy. I believe these units are individually owned, so there may be some variability between units.

The Concord is located on the Seven Mile isthmus, and is just on the border between Avalon and the ever-so-slightly-less tony Stone Harbor. It is a very short block to the actual beach, but if you absolutely MUST overlook the sand and ocean, you will pay about twice as much to stay at the "yellow-named" Inn about 500 feet away. We found Concord Suites to be an excellent value, given the price and the extent and quality of services provided. I would recommend this place without hesitation, and am already planning a return trip next summer.

Room Tip: 1st floor-great pool access, 3rd floor-quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MrNuz
Reviewed 26 June 2011

The room was spotless and the staff very accommodating. The kitchen was great for preparing a meal or snack. We used the on-site restaurant for take out a few times-good pizza, salad and burgers. Both pools were very clean and the maintenance staff seemed to work around the clock on the hotel grounds. Very family friendly atmosphere-close to everything you would need. Just a short walk to the clean, lovely beach. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dragonfly1213
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I think this is your best bet for a stay in the Avalon/Stone Harbor area for a decent price. I was a bit nervous because of some of the bad reviews received last season (summer 2010) but was so pleasantly surprised & relieved when I arrived. They had recently completed a bunch of renovations, including new A/C units, I believe. Our room was large & clean & our stay was very quiet (although it was the off season, so perhaps that is why). There is a little kitchen for preparing small meals and a nice sized living area with a fold out bed. The 2 queen beds were comfy. You're only about a block from the beach & there is a great restaurant/bar on site with unbelievably good Eggplant Parmesan! The staff is really friendly & there is a large selection of free DVDs to borrow, as well as games. The pool looked lovely, even though it was too chilly during our stay to use it. You are very close to great beach shopping! I would definitely recommend this place for a getaway.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Sheripie
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My husband and two toddlers just stayed at the Concord Suites for a week. We had an awesome vacation. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly, the pools were great and the room was spacious for our needs. Thank you Concord Suites.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The Concord Suites has everything we are looking for---location, cleanliness, very comfortable beds, spacious suites, non-smoking, quiet, convenience, nearby casual restaurant, free movies, friendly staff, good value. We have stayed there for about 4 or 5 years now. Upon arrival, saw the property maintenance guy, John, who gave us a nice friendly greeting. He usually is the first person we see and always makes us feel welcome---like seeing an old friend. Went in hotel office and , even though our room was not ready yet (we were early), we were told we would get a call when it was ready. Did not take long at all till we got a cell call that our room was ready. Was SO nice to get into the room earlier than the 3 oclock check-in time. (since we don't get to the shore as often as we would like, we are so anxious to get our little mini vacation started, so being able to unpack makes us feel like we can really start our vacation.) Likewise my husband hurt his back and an office staffer was sympathetic. I had a few questions in the evening, and a gentleman and lady in the office were very helpful. The rooms book fast so ,unfortunately, we don't stay as often as we would like. That is because we are on a limited income, so we are afraid of booking a room too much in advance due to the strict cancellation policy, for fear of losing our deposit. I would suggest to managment that, in the event of NEEDING to cancel, to allow repeat guests to have a credit for a stay at another time in the future. It would be a huge help. We hope to return again very soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hadagreattime2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#19 of 37 in Cape May
Colonial Lodge
Colonial Lodge
#4 of 6 in Stone Harbor

Been to The Concord Suites? Share your experiences!