“Can you believe, please read!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avalon
Sealark Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Avalon B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Can you believe, please read!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Although I have not actually stayed here, I just had to write and share my experience trying to book here. I saw that this B&B was pet friendly. I was so excited that a B&B actually had a pet friendly room. Our small dog hates to be boarded so I called right away to book this room over the mother's day week-end 10 May-13 May. Although the man I booked with was not that friendly it was fine and I booked the room. After the fact, I looked at their reviews and kept reading about a pet friendly apartment room, the reviews were bad to terrible about this this room; unclean to dirty and so forth. I Emailed the Sealark and told them that I was so pleased to find a B&B where I could bring my pet but told them I had a few issues, ask them if this room was considered the apartment room and if the cleaning issues would be taken care of. I also said that I was looking forward to staying at the B&B. OMG, I got an Email back that they no longer owned the apartment room that was across the street. That this room was in the B&B and sense I would be uncomfortable staying there (never said any thing about being uncomfortable staying there) they were refunding my money immediately to my account. Also, that I should not go by some reviews. I really could not believe this!!! I called them, no one answered and I left a message; apologized to them if I had upset them and that as I stated in my Email; I was looking forward to staying there, just had a few questions about some cleaning issues, and that I still wanted to stay there. They never called me back, and they did return money to my account. I have seen sense that they booked this room with someone else. I can't tell you any thing about this place; but it is such a poor example of the person that runs this. I and all my friends and family are still in shock!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank molokini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed at the Sealark a couple of weeks ago during the off season so that we could check out beach houses in the area. Overall, we had a nice stay and I'd stay here again. Touching on the previous reviews - we found things to be clean and tidy.

I ended up calling in to make reservations as I wasn't sure if the availability calendar was updated or not. Plus, I wanted the innkeeper's opinion on a room that would be good for a nice quiet weekend away for my wife and I. Unfortunately the Suite wasn't available for one of the nights that we wanted to stay. It looked nice. I did have to leave a message and the owner called me back two days later. By the time he called back, I had started to think about other accomodations. The rates for the offseason were better than most of the area hotels. We talked a little about when we would arrive Friday night - he indicated that if we were running late or if they stepped out, that the keys were in the room door and to just settle myself in. It was nice to know I wasn't a slave to my schedule- especially with leaving Friday afternoon.

It turns out, we arrived on schedule and the owners were there to greet us. They were a friendly sort. She took up upstairs to our room and turned on a couple of lights as the room was a little dark coming in. We got a quick review of the room and the heater (mounted on the wall in the bedroom and controlled via remote) and she was off. Friendly folks, though the husband was a quirky sort - not unfriendly and he was certainly chatty, he just gave off a strange vibe. (shrugs)

We stayed in room five - up the stairs to the left. It was a the size of a large bedroom in an old house (oh wait, that's exactly what it is!). It had a private bathroom off to the side that was extremely small. More on the bathroom later. Beside of the room were the steps to the loft apartments. As expected, this is an old house and therefore you hear most of what's going on around you. We could tell when someone came up the main steps to the other rooms on our floor and we most defintely could tell when someone went up the loft steps and were in the apartment above us. Not entirely unexpected, as again - it's a 100+ year old house.

The bedroom was small compared to regular hotel standards, but we didn't have any problem with it being just the two of us. There was the bed that was crazily wide but kind of short (we think it was a "california king" that was turned sideways). It wasn't the most comfortable, it did make us long to be home or in our RV. It did help us get up and out to make it in time for breakfast each morning, though. There was a small sitting wicker loveseat and another wicker seat with a small table between them. My biggest complaint, though (and again - it comes back to the house's age) was that there weren't outlets for the end tables beside of the bed. I sleep with a CPAP machine and need power (fortunately I carry an extension cord, but I don't like having to climb behind the bed to get to it). On my wife's side, she uses her phone as a clock and didn't have anywhere to plug in. Though, I can say - nothing behind the bed made me run in fear as other hotels have.

As I mentioned before, the bathroom was beyond "cozy". The shower and sink were side-by-side, so you were in a little cubby hole when using the sink. The shower itself was pretty snug, made worse because the shower head couldn't be fully adjusted to point downwards. The best I could get was water hitting me in the middle of my stomach! It made rinsing my nether regions quite the feat. Lastly, because the heat was on the wall in the bedroom, the bathroom wasn't heated except for whatever seeped in from the other room (and past the under-the-steps hanging area for clothes).

We aren't morning people (especially on vacation), so the 9am breakfast time was pretty rough. Each day, the breakfast was home cooked by the innkeepers and was VERY tasty! Fresh fruit and store-bought pastries were always available. The owners would come out and sit and chit chat with folks. We did notice that the room did have cat hair around and my wife even found a piece as she was eating some tasty french-toast-like things. As cat owners, it didn't bother us much, but people with bad cat allergies be warned. We did notice later in the day that one of the cat's food bowls would be put out there.

The Stone Harbor/Avalon area is such a beautiful area. We look forward to going back every year.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DougAndMandie
Auburn, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I was a bit hesitant to book here after seeing some of the bitter reviews, but decided to give it a try anyway. Very different accomodations than what I am use to since I always stay in a large hotel chain. This inn seemed a little dated as far as standard accomodations go, but it definately worked. Nice and clean. The place had character. I kind of felt like I was in my grandmothers house with the furnishings and antiques but it was ok... It was like taking a step back in time. Still, overall a nice and pleasant place to stay. The inn keepers were very accomodating. It was more of a feeling of being a guest in someones home, which in itself is a humbling experience. Simple, clean accomodations for the price. One block off the beach. Grateful to the owners for sharing their home with us.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karen D
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed in the loft for two nights. Our accommodation was adequate, but the little studio needed some deep cleaning and renovation. Maybe that is the plan for the winter...The bathroom, particularly around the shower, had signs of mold or perhaps it was just plain dirt...so much so that I did not want to take a shower. The toilet seemed sluggish, though it did work. The ceiling ventilators were very dusty and looked like they had not been cleaned in quite a while. Some of the furniture seemed somewhat makeshift....especially the plastic in the breakfast room. We did have an adequate breakfast with very good coffee. We did not find the owners particularly friendly. They were talking a lot with other guests, some of whom they seemed to know. Our general feeling was of the establishment as a business, and that the owners were a bit tired of it....again, maybe the result of our being there at the end of the season. While we don't expect a dog and pony show, a bit more friendliness would be reasonable. The location was great....just a short walk to the main street and the beach. We would not come back again, but look for something else in the area. The
price of this BnB is good, but I would rather spend a little more and get a nicer atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try rooms on the second floor. They might be better than the loft studios since they are the origina...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank noahsmomhwell
Harbeson, Delaware
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our girls weekend started by checking into this charming, well pointed B & B, greeted by our Hosts John and Pat. The room was so sweet and perfect for our girls weekend. Each room has their own bathroom, ceiling fan, A/C unit. Their is so much charm in this house built in 1901.

The breakfast is unbelievable, with lots of fresh fruit, yummy muffins and a french toast dish to die for. I came home with two new Recipes.......they were That Good.

Its in a great location, walking distance from the beach and shopping. You will love this place. They do except pets as well. A rarity in B & B;'s.

Room Tip: We had Room 4 which has two twin beds, perfect for that girls weekend.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 April 2012

As one who grew up in the Ocean/Monmouth County area of NJ within a 1/2 hour of the water, going on vacation "to the shore" was an entirely foreign concept to me -- until I started dating a guy from Philly. I had never explored much of the south Jersey Shore area beyond Cape May or a bi-annual outing to Atlantic City, so Avalon and Stone Harbor were new to me. The Sealark was recommended to us because a person in our family knew the owners. There are so many great things to say about the Sealark, I don't know how to order my comments. I would say the best thing about it is the location -- one block from the beach and the main drag of town. The price is great as well -- you can visit slightly off-season, or even until the end of June, and you'll have a much more reasonable rate than some of the motels down the island. I have read the negative reviews about the apartment across the street, and I've never been in it, so I can't comment. I've been to the main B & B twice, and it's clean and comfortable. Everything isn't brand spanking new, but for a good reason! Some of the furniture accent pieces and decorative items (as well as pictures) are antique. Staples like beds are new and clean, and comfortable. The owners are very nice people. They enjoy talking with guests, but are not pushy or overly familiar. They are very genuine, helpful, and know a lot about the area. If you need anything, all you need to do is ask. The Sealark is the perfect place to be based for a weekend or longer at the shore -- each time we've gone, we've taken time for Cape May and Cape May Point, Stone Harbor, and the Ocean City boardwalk. The B & B experience is not for everyone -- some folks want the big hotel or a gazillion amenties, and they don't want to be in a house-like setting. But, if you love the B & B experience, and if you are looking for comfortable, enjoyable accomodations that will TRULY feel like your home at the shore (it is for me), you MUST book here.

Room Tip: We've chosen Room 2 which is a small suite. There is a small room with a couch and TV in one are...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SLSNJ
Onset, MA
Reviewed 16 March 2012

rooms in main house are tastefully appointed; breakfast was made to order. Very comfortable lodgings; owners are courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: stayed in room #2-separate sitting area
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
Icona Cape May
Icona Cape May
#1 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Sealark Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!