“Fantastic place for the price”

Alaska Camp & Hotel
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Anyone slagging this place off because it has 'no fridge' or 'no TV' or 'is noisy' needs to get there facts straight. This is a 'cheap and cheerful' deal - and its very cheap and very cheerful. I have stayed all over the world from Russia to Indonesia and this place has top marks in my book. If you want all the crap the comes with expensive hotels then go stay in one

Our room was basic with a comfortable double bed, some furniture, a fan and a balcony (for a few pounds more). The toilet / shower was great and the water was clean with no aftersmell. The free wifi was a great bonus and I could even get connected from my balcony. We could get our room cleaned and bed changed whenever we asked and even used the kitchen facilities for keeping drinks chilled and making salads.

Jackie (The Manager) was a great source of information and arranged cheap taxis from Sharm airport and the 20% off 'Yalla' bar and restaurant was also a very cool bonus

Overall I thought this place was great and will definately stay there again when I return to Dahab in the future

>KK<

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2010

Myself and 4 others have been backpacking around the world for 5 months now and stayed in alot of hostels and can without doubt highly recommend alaska camp & hotel to others and say its been one of the best and memorable places,especially for budget accomodation!
The place is great value for money considering the rooms are very clean and new, the location is excellent ( situated right on the busy strip within minutes to the lighthouse, restaurants and beaches) and the staff here really did everything they could to make our experience there as comfortable and enjoyable as they could. We were driven to an excellent place to go scuba diving and swimming and they really made us feel like family as we joined in on a homecooked egyptian feast, dancing and sheesha. The vibe about this place was always very welcoming and everyone was always very kind.
Overall we never had any problems with this place and when we did have one problem with broken showerhead they fixed it straight away.
We would like to expecially thank Sabry, Ali, Mohammed and others for making our stay an unforgettable one! We will definately come back to visit!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We booked a double room for £10 a night but paid an extra £5 to upgrade to a room with air con. The standard room price doesn't include breakfast but you can pay an extra £2 per person if you want to have it at the hotel or you can go to one of the many waterfront restaurants. Given the great reasturuants in town we didn't eat breakfast at the hotel so can't pass comment. Alaska Camp has a great location right in the centre of Masbat Bay. It is probably one of the smartest backpacker places we've stayed in. Nicely decorated rooms which are clean and the lady who works the reception was really friendly and helpful. They also offer very competitive prices for snorkel hire and tours, we didn't see anywhere that was any cheaper. The only complaint that we had during our stay was that there is a communal TV located in the courtyard of the hotel and we had to ask on several occasions for it to be turned down as it was a bit loud sometimes (the issue was resolved when we raised the point with reception).

We really enjoyed our stay at Alsaka Camp and would thoroughly recommend it to any backpackers heading to Dahab.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The rooms were great all the staff were very helpful and its right next to everything. there is a really big chill area tv and a computer to use as well. thanks to everyone there for making our time in dahab a memorable one. Much love from NYC

Bernie & lucienda

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I can nothing but recommend this camp/hotel. It´s very comfortable and suitable for spending couple of days in beautiful Dahab. And the atmosphere is just great - very friendly and relaxed!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lucijesena
Reviewed 23 May 2010

There are some good things about this place. The front desk staff is really great: really friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean, the water is hot and the towels are by far the best I've encountered in Egypt. The location is good too. Unfortunately, the non-desk staff is sullen, unfriendly and minimally helpful...I was happy to get out and away from their sour faces but that's a minor point. If you have your laundry done there be sure to check immediately to make sure you got it all back. I didn't do a thorough enough inventory when it was returned to me and unfortunately discovered several days later that I was missing two pairs of trousers! The night desk guy helped me look in the laundry room but of course they were gone already. When you're backpacking and only carrying 4 pairs of trousers and 2 go missing that's really annoying. I guess to some degree it's my fault for not noticing sooner but what did they do with them? I could understand losing a sock or a pair of underwear or something small...but two full-sized pairs of pants? I wish I could recommend this place but I can't.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We booked Alaska Camp and hotel based on teh reviews given on tripadvisor and I have to say we weren't disappointed.

The location is absolutely fantastic, the beach is practically on the doorstep and it's right in the middle of things. There are restaurants opposite and bars not that far away.

The place is clean and simple and the service received was absolutely fantastic. The staff are incredibly friendly and the very cool sitting area is lovely to spend the evening in following a hard day's diving.

We enjoyed it so much that we're planning another trip to Dahab with a friend and will definately be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple