“Deservedly #1 in Dahab and a great honeymoon location”
Review of Dahab Paradise

Dahab Paradise
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Deservedly #1 in Dahab and a great honeymoon location”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Firstly, I ought to declare that I can't comment especially well on value for money. This holiday was my honeymoon and I didn't really consider rooting out the cheapest hotel - this one was selected based on the Tripadvisor reviews and gut feeling. I was prepared to pay for a hotel where I was confident that we would have a relaxing time and where we mattered enough to the staff that they would do everything possible to enhance our stay. Nevertheless, I do think that I got a very reasonable package (the Dahab and Petra Explorer deal), especially when you see the entry price for Petra and the delicious buffet (late) lunch in the Marriott hotel after leaving Petra.

The location is fantastic - certainly a cheap 15-20 EL taxi ride into town and only a small road between the red sea shore and the hotel lawn. We went snorkelling in front of the hotel a few times and the reef here displays many of the pretty and large reef fish as soon as you get into a metre of water. The sea breeze keeps the place cooler and light traffic on the road in front of the hotel allows a relaxing atmosphere.

The hotel is very nicely laid out with comfortable sun loungers, free towels, sun umbrellas, verdent lawns and palm trees. The swimming pool was saltwater, which I liked. It was clean and a lovely temperature for cooling off, but not too cold to stay in.

The individual room balcony/patio areas are all the same size and focus in on the swimming pool area; none of them look to be any better than the others, so you won't feel short changed. The restaurant, where we had our B&B package breakfast was well situated, close to the pool with views of the sea and the Saudi Arabian mountains on the far coast. Breakfast was nice and there was a broad range of options. The rest of the menu is fairly western but tasty and portions are good. Hot food is available until 10pm but you can get cold food and drinks 24hrs a day!

Our room was spacious and simple, with a clean bathroom, TV with BBC world news and a couple of english language movie channels, fridge with complimentary champagne (they knew it was our honeymoon) and bottle of water. The bed was large and comfortable, with a mosquito net that we used, but I'm not sure we needed. Our balcony had great views and a couple of comfortable deck chairs and a small table for drinks etc. The balcony was well shaded, making it suitable for use throughout the day.

The staff were the best part of the hotel, with nothing being too much trouble for them and someone always on hand to help. There was a problem when our names were not on the passenger list for the ferry to Jordan and Petra, but a phone call to the hotel from the port saw a rescue plan (via tour guides in Israel) take us by land, and a nice air-conditioned minivan, the rest of the way to Petra. As well as ensuring we got to see Petra, they gave us a complimentary meal to say sorry and knocked US$70 off the bill to more than cover the 155 EL we had to pay in extra border fees.

It is to Dahab Paradise's credit that they handled the (no blame attributed) problem so well. I think this is the type of experience that others ought to base their decisions on, when they are fortunate enough to find out how a hotel behaves in a problem scenario. I felt that their #1 Tripadvisor rating gives them a huge incentive to put the quality of the customer's experience high on their priority list and it seems to have worked out that way.

As a die-hard cheapskate when not travelling on honeymoon, this experience has changed the way I think of value for money when buying holidays. I hope this review is helpful to anyone else wondering whether to stay here and I'm confident you won't regret it unless you are a particularly fussy customer.

3 Thank smerrett79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We were booked into Dahab Paradise Hotel by a friend who lives in Dahab and recommended it to us.
We were greeted by friendly faces and superb staff, an amazing view overlooking the reef and all the way to Saudi Arabia and to top it all off on arrival was a bottle of cold bubbly to celebrate my partner's birthday! Just lovely and made for a special start to a great holiday. Lou Lou and the reception staff were so helpful at organising and giving advice for excursions and places to eat-thanks guys! While we live in Egypt (El Gouna) and know the Red Sea well, its always nice to have a proper local recommendation from the people living in the area.
We will definitely be staying there again-it was fantastic!

Room Tip: all rooms have a sea view
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I have been to dahab on a number of occasions and stayed in several of the 5 star 'luxury' resorts on my various trips, It was therefore with some trepidation when I booked the dahab paradise this year with a group of friends - simply because I knew it was a little off the beaten track and I wasn't convinced. I coulld not have been more wrong - this place is fabulous! An absolutely fantastic spot with a real sense of calm and tranquility. You literally can touch the mountain behind you and you face the turquoise and navy sea in front of you. The whole place is built into the side of the mountain but the rooms all open onto a gorgeous green garden with a lovely pool and sea views. The tastefully decorated rooms were clean and comfortable with good aircon and a fridge to keep your drinks cool. The friendliness and service of all the staff was second to none - they could not have done more to make us feel comfortable and at home. The menu is simple but good and represents extremely good value for money. We all absolutely fell in love with the place and the bedouin tent after six is a really relaxing way to spend a few hours partaking of a little bedouin 'hospitality'. The hustle and bustle of town is literally a 7 minute taxi ride away which the hotel organise for you with a few minutes notice. Finally, I cannot finish writing this review without mentioning the 'towel origami' on the bed everyday which had us in hysterics long after we left. Absolutely genius and a real highlight! In short the Dahab paradise is an absolute find and a real gem of a place. I would highly recommend it for couples and groups of friends. It has a real uniqueness but retains a high standard of service and comfort. 5 stars for this place and I very much hope to stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LucyJane1972
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

This was a lovely hotel, secluded and quiet. The staff were lovely and friendly - very helpful.

The hotel is quite far from the shops and restaurants in town - about a 40 minute walk or 5 minute taxi journey - and doesn't have a shop on site.

The restaurant is nice and the Egyptian night was great!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Roanne, France
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Very good hotel with an excellent and helpful staff. Nice rooms, with a fridge, cleaned correctly every day. Large and clean swimming pool. Everything was perfect.

The only exception was with the guy at the dive center Big Blue (located at the hotel but does not belong to it). I had to pay 75 €, I gave 90 €, and on the money back in Egyptian Pounds, he kept 5 E£ because, he told me, there's a 3% commission at the bank...
5 E£, that's nothing, I was in vacation with my girl friend, so I didn't want to fight for that. But that little scam left a bad impression of that dive center. To be honest, at the opposite, the dives were OK with very good DM/Instructors.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
DahabParadiseHotel, Dahab Paradise Team at Dahab Paradise, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Dear Rout 42,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Dahab Paradise and taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

Your feedback is valuable to us and thank you for making us aware of the issue you had with the dive centre. We are sorry to hear you felt disappointed with their service with regards to payment. These comments have been passed onto the dive centre and they feel it was a miscommunication with regards to the exchange rate. In light of this they have reviewed their payment and exchange rate policy.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Thanks and best regards,

Dahab Paradise Team
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I chose the Dahab Paradise because it was outside of town and promised to be quiet, yet comfortable. It lived up to all my expectations. On my arrival at Sharm, my transfer vehicle was waiuting. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, moving me from my original room when the plug in the basin could not be immediately fixed and I needed it to do some hand-washing. Rooms are comfortable. Access to town is best done by taxi. The drivers recommended by the hotel were prompt and were always waiting for me at the agreed time for my return to the hotel. The hotel dive shop is attached to Big Blue, one of the best dive operations I have dived with. Overall if you are looking for good, quiet accommodation at a fair price, I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This hotel is pitched very well - its an easy, relaxing place to stay, right next to the ocean. The service is great and they are happy to organise whatever you ask for. I found the dive shop really helpful for tips on where to go. The location is a little out of town which means it is nice and quiet - taxis are cheap in Dahab so getting around is not a problem. It was all really friendly and easy going, and great value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple