“Red Sea Relax, Excellent Hote, Dive Centre and Bar”

Red Sea Relax Resort
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I booked this trip after coming across the Red Sea Relax website some 6 Months ago. I emailed Chris the owner and arranged a 10 day trip with diving for my wife and myself. He offered free accommodation if diving with them and staying in their dorms, as a couple we preferred our own room and the price for which was excellent value for money. Chris even arranged a Taxi to collect from the airport at a very reasonable rate.

The all staff are fantastic, they really cannot do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble. The standard of English spoken by the Egyptian staff is excellent so no problems with communications.

The room was of good size and had aircon, TV, WiFi, safe and Telephone. The bathroom was of good size with hot and cold running water all the time. The shower head was initially leaking quite badly causing a drop in pressure, after speaking to "Osama" on the front desk a man came and fixed it within 30 minutes. Two small gripes, the mattress was very hard, we are used to very soft at home, but then you can't please everybody can you? It was not so bad that we could not sleep. Lastly the upstairs rooms have partially carpeted rooms, these are starting to wear and don't look so good. Simply remedy would be to remove carpets and go with tiled floors like the downstairs rooms.

The Dive centre, managed by Paul is run to a very high standard and safety is his priority, if it ain't safe you’re not doing it and if you need a SCUBA review you will have to have one before diving (regardless of past experience) I wish all dive centres were so well focused on safety. Dahab is packed with Dive centres so you can imagine it is a very competitive business, tempting some into cutting corners to save money and offer better prices. No such corners cut at Red Sea Relax, you can dive with confidence knowing you are in safe hands and at very competitive rates.

The Bar “Churchills” is the British bar within the Hotel, quite a few expats use it and it has a rooftop area great for relaxing after a hard days diving. Run by “Tarek” who I would say spoke the best English, was a good laugh and made you welcome just like a good barman should. The bar sometimes has a Quiz Night and a Karaoke night so if you are coming from Blighty you can really feel at home.

The menu for Lunch and dinner is varied and has the traditional British line up together with some others. Well cooked and well priced.

Overall if you are a diver, backpacker or just looking for an inexpensive holiday then Red Sea Relax Dahab has it all. In a very competitive town it is extremely good value. This area is not Sharm El Sheikh so have sensible expectations and you will love it.

Room Tip: Downstaits rooms have tiled floors. Looks better tha upstairs carpets, slighty shabby.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roma0071

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Didn't stay at the hotel, but selected this dive shop after wandering up and down the promenade for a few days speaking to the various shops (there are about 60 dive shops in Dahab, the competition is fierce!) I was won over by a few things:
(1) straightforward price list for what you do and what you get - and it is VERY economical! (2) general willingness of staff to deal with an inexperienced diver, namely me!
(3)Home base location is in the middle of LIghthouse Reef, Bannerfish Bay and Mashraba Reef - not technically difficult but very rewarding if you want to see fish! All other locations can be arranged if you are capable of them.
(4) Staff: Rose - fantastic teacher and somehow manages to communicate emotion and joy of discovery while underwater. Ahmed - serious, focused diver and I would trust him to take me anywhere. Paddy - clear and analytical; I didn't dive with him but watched him teach. Paul - manager - willing to work with your individual needs and figure out a dive program that suits you.

My only tiny tiny criticism - wet suits and BCDs were well used.

Would dive with this outfit again in a heartbeat and am trying to figure out how I can wangle a month off work to do so!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ava F
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Can't rate the Dive Center more highly - Went to Dahab in Feb thinking about learning to dive but hadn't booked anything in advance so had a wander around the different centers (There's quite a lot of them). Picked RSR for the PADI Open Water Dive course as they looked well qualified and were doing a bit of deal (it was February). This turned out to be a great decision as I can't see how the service or training could have been any better. The instructors were very friendly, reassuring, competent and patient. It made the whole experience extremely enjoyable. I will definitely be going back to RSR.

I stayed at another hotel so can't comment on the hotel side of things.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mavbj
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Red sea relax was excellent. My partner and I obtained our open water diving certificate with red sea. Our instructor Paddy was excellent and was extremely confident building. We will defiantly be back and diving with them again :)

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank p0tterr
Reviewed 1 February 2012

just got back from dahab sadly and i just thought i'd recommend my favorite spot in dahab, Red Sea Relax. the staff can't be any more helpful, the rooms are clean and maintained and most importantly safe. even better breakfast is included to all residents and is often frequented by glutinous tourists eating as many sausages and eggs as they can so they dont have to eat again that day. the food is bob on, i found i was living off pizza and wedges drowned in hot sauce - trust me! try it! the beer is the cheapest in town only 10le and there are 3 main areas to frequent depending what you want, sit round the tv and watch whatevers happening or they put what you want on, sit round the tables for a nice chat or sit on the balcony watching the sunset over mountains or perv at the beach users but most importantly its a great place to meet fellow travellers and ex pats. as for their dive centre, i havent used it but i hear nothing but good things said and having met several of the dive team i'd have no worries diving with them

Room Tip: dive with them and you get free dorm and breakfast
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank dazle
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed in this place for five nights, and in the end thoroughly enjoyed it. Initial reaction was to look for another place, as the establishment looked liked it has seen better times. Dark bathroom that did not flush, abandoned broken down pool tables. Initially, we did not get the king size bed or the sea view promised, but Osama(not his real name apparently) managed to find us a sea view room with two beds put together. During our stay the toilet worked but leaked non stop, so we had to keep the wetness down with towels. Nothing was done to actually fix the problem, except provide extra towels. Also, we found a lone cockroach in the drawer who decided to leave us after our daughter named him. The pool was lovely to look at, but was too cold to use. In addition, contrary to our expectations, we never truly got the wifi working in our room, and in the common area it was very unreliable.
Lastly, it was difficult for the family to enjoy the common rooms mostly due to heavy duty smoking and swearing. The place very much reminded me of my old frat house.
Now to the positive! Once we lowered our expectations we really started to enjoy this place. The staff was very friendly and helpful.Osama arranged for us many excursions, for a very reasonable price. The breakfast was varied and plentiful and the food we purchased during lunches was tasty. I also, enjoyed the mixed age group of the guests and the very lay back atmosphere and very importantly the beer was only 10 Egyptian pounds. The location was ideal as much of Dahab looked empty. This place was in middle of the action. I would rate this hotel as three star rather than four if it would not be for the intangibles, like the ambiance, the hassle free(very valuable in Egypt) friendly environment. I am not a diver, but would still recommend this place to families that just want to explore the area. Comparing it to other places in the region, it was also a very good bargain.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AwesomeSEA
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I completed my PADI Open Water and Advanced diving course with Red Sea Relax in 2006 and was confident that I would get value for money if I used them to qualify as a Dive Master and then Dive Instructor. I was not disappointed in the slightest. The new premises offer first rate accommodation, fully air conditioned, popular bar facilities and good inexpensive food. The dive school is on the premises and absolutely first rate - relaxed atmosphere, good humour but absolutely no shortcuts in teaching standards. With several reefs on their doorstep and a sheltered bay for training a matter of meters away from the school it is perfect for all levels of divers. No added boat costs and you dive when you are ready. The final day of the PADI Instructor examination was hosted by Red Sea Relax – what better endorsement of the facilities could they achieve? There are no hidden costs with this complex – you ask for a price and it includes everything you would expect unlike some of the other operators in the area! I highly recommend anyone considering Dahab to consider this school and complex – you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo