“sea and sun dahab”

Sea Sun Hotel Dahab
Ranked #49 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 9 May 2014

DONTGO IF you are british we have just returned from two weeks at the sea and sun dahab we were the only british there the rest were russians the food is basic rice pasta beef liver, beef fish chicken no desserts only fruit every day so most days we lived on eggs at breakfast they were either boiled or omlette and there was mashed potatoe rice with fruit , this ran out quite often as did the vodka whiskey and wine &. beer if you werent at the front of the queue the russians ate everthing ,the pool was so green it was not fit to swim in until a new manager came olga russian when my husband complained about the pool, food, she looked into it the pool got cleaned the food stayed the same uneatable theme nights 5 of them were all russian on the beach so when this happened the bar in the hotel shut so you had no choice to be there the hotel was cleanish all inclusive was so poor we will not be going back there ,the best thing was the weather &the dogs they were so friendly the blue hole and the canyon were beautiful but the areas around them were so dirty,it was a shame dahab centre was good as was the food at yum yums and churchills and the sea foods were stunning but this was a taxi away there is nothing at sea and sun outside the hotel only a dirty beach the bar staff were great and tryed to help us re the food hanni made us some chips we were so hungry they were brill so please be warned we got back 7th may 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sumo116

Reviewed 17 December 2013

If you want a basic holiday that's handy for diving and water sports then this is the place for you. The location is good, the beds are comfortable, the water is hot and the food is just about OK. The air on worked and there's free but patchy wifi.

I was booked for three weeks but after a few days was so cheesed off I moved to a better hotel just up the road.. I really didn't want to celebrate Christmas in the very dire Sea Sun Hotel,

So what went wrong? When I arrived I wasn't immediately shown to my room. They wanted to sell me an upgrade, what would I want, a single traveller, with a huge great suite with a jacuzzi for an extra 200$? On reflection I guess they might have needed the cash.

The all inclusive tariff didn't include bottled water so being TT I negotiated. Then the mains water dried up twice in two days, I found cockroaches running around the breadboard in the restaurant, the bread was stale, the butter was being kept back, then when it returned it was rancid, jam ran out, food was tepid. Coffee was instant and the cheapest brand, tasting like roasted barley. Fruit was scarce. Crockery was chipped & cracked.

All areas were delapidated, grubby & shabby, I wanted to give my room a good clean from top to bottom. Dead flies on the windowsills in the main lounge area, marble tables and floors with evidence of ring marks or spilled drinks left for days. The restaurant had food under the tables. Outside some sun chairs lacked arms, no one bothered about the litter.

Even though there were pictures suggesting entertainment nothing offered at all, apart from an outdoor table tennis table. The old analogue TV in room only showed local channels.

The staff's attitude was lackadaisical, very few guests around so why should they bother? Lots of bods wandering around but not sure if they were they staff, if so what were they doing? The atmosphere and ambiance of a place where everyone was having a good time was non existent.

The other guests were Russian so you could end up being 'Billy No Mates'.

This dilapidated place reminded me so much of Eastern European hotels just after the fall of communism. Grim, Grubby & Dire.

The only thing I shall miss are the friendly beach dogs that belong to the local Bedouin.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Liz V
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Although the hotel does have some issues at the moment there is a new management team there who are fantastic and we could see the improvement in the 12 days we where there .
The cleanliness is not great but improving ,
But if you like a nice quite relaxing holiday this is the place
Your less than a minute from the red sea so if you enjoy snorkelling or scuba diving its ideal
The food is great very tasty never had a problem with eating
The staff are fantastic can't do enough for you
At the moment we would say this a 3 star hotel with 5 star service
We had a wonderful time and will be retuning next year

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 15 November 2013

lovely setting great views staff were freindly we were offerd a chpice of rooms when we arrived we thought we had found the best hotel then we found the food what was there was well cooked and presented but there was not very much of it and no choice althoigh the chef would cokk you someting else if asked, the bar was poorly stocked no wine and ran out of vodka allthough there were only about a dozen guests most pf which were out all day or just sun bathing,the cleaner came to the rooms every day and the room was still dirty when he left we had a whirlpool bath but no plug we were told to use the sink plug which didnt fit but was not realy a problem as we didnt have hot water,the taps were rusty and loose the toilet badley stained and the hotel ran out of water twice all though we didnt pay much hot water and more choice of food would have made all the difference we wont be stayong at the sea sun again.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank tim3474
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed there for one day in October, the rooms were unclean ,the bathroom was rusty including all the taps, the toilet seat was broken and leaks water to the bathroom floor, the food was terrible I ate dinner outside the hotel that night.
no AC remote control and when I requested I got no response till I borrowed one from the room beside me.

beside all that key employees were rude and unfriendly.

really it was the worst stay I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: don't go there unless you wanted to have a really bad time.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Talaat S
Reviewed 19 October 2013

we only had to sit for only 1 night as part of a trip and it was on 18 oct. 2013.the problem was with the following:
1. staff is not enough for running a hotel(only 2 for HK, 2 for buffet serving and cleaning... etc)
resulted in:
1.Rooms,towels, lobby,restaurant tables,pool and everything is unclean.
2.service is too slow
3. no maintenance for the rooms as the bathroom door can't be closed.
4. no soap, or shampoo... we got the towels upon request.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Abeermelligy
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We're not the most sensitive family (I went to several archeological expeditions). But now this place is awful.
I hope that this is due to that riots stuff. It's about 10-15 guests in 90 rooms right now.
Seems that because of that there's no food, drinks and hot water.
Personel tries to be nice, but you have to struggle to have a glass of red wine for supper.
Pool is cold and dirty.
No safe sea entrance (you still can use the one in the next hotel).
If you have a choice now - buy just plain tickets and book a hotel in Dahab.

• Stayed: October 2013