“Nice place, good value”
Review of Jowhara Hotel

Jowhara Hotel
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Jowhara is not directly at the beach but it's just a few meters to the seaside walkway. Rooms are basic but clean and safe. Staff are very friendly an helpful. Free wifi. Altogether Jowhara is an excellent choice if you look for a good value accomodation in Dahab.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Albertberlin
TraceyDahab, General Manager at Jowhara Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you Albert Berlin :-) I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us and liked the hotel and all our staff, We all look forward to seeing you both again in Jowhara.

There are newer reviews for Jowhara Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Nice and clean hotel, friendly staff, comfortable room with a cheap price. Good location beside the shops and the sea. Fairly quite area with easy transportation. Highly recommended because it is safe, clean and cheap.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mariam D

Thank you Miriam for your feed back on the hotel and very happy you enjoyed your time with us and you liked it here with us in Jowhara. We all hope to see you again in Jowhara soon enshallah :-)

Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

For this price i guess it's a good hotel. Only I hate to have big cockroaches in my room so i'll gladly pay some extra to have a clean and fresh room everyday. Breakfast is fine. Not too luxureous as well.
I guess it's value for money!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank rotsjapp
Reviewed 21 May 2012

As a first time female solo traveller without the security of friends and family with me, I wanted to make sure the location is safe but far enough away from the gentle hassle of the main promenade . Had looked at Bishbishi, Penguin & a few others within similar price range. After careful consideration and chats with people who had stayed at the Jowhara Hotel (special thanks to Quincyschick), I made my decision to book a week in a single a/c room. Booking was simple with Tracey, the English manager, via email.

I used ClickTransfer.com to order my airport transfers, the local company they use is Eastmar Tours. Cost me around £16 with a web discount. Although the hotel is able to provide private taxi transfers for 200LE each way - totally worth it if there are at least 2 of you as ClickTransfer nearly left me in the lurch on the return journey! My shuttle driver couldn't find the hotel, but I've learnt that everyone knows the Penguin Village (which is diagonally opposite Jowhara), so that's how we found the hotel.

First impressions were good, the reception and communal areas were well lit and clean. I had an idea of what to expect through reading earlier reviews on TA, so I was not too worried that reception was empty. I chatted with another guest in one of the arisha areas to get a bearing of the hotel vs supermarket/ATMs. There are 2 supermarkets which are 24hrs within 30secs walk and one of them has a bank ATM. Score! I had no local currency so I drew out some cash and bought some cold drinks. Upon my return, Soliman checked me in and asked Malek to show me to my room. Throughout my stay that week, the Magic 3 (Soliman, Tracey & Malek) become something akin to family. Weird to write that as you have to experience it first hand, but they're all so friendly and looked out for me esp. if I returned late, I really felt like returning 'home' to a calm oasis.

I had room 14 which is on the ground floor, towards the back of the hotel grounds therefore very quiet with no road noise. There is an arisha area right outside my front door - which is lovely in the evenings to check emails and watch films on my netbook. As expected my room is fairly spartan with 2 single beds with sheets and woollen blanket, incredibly fluffy white towels, a/c, ensuite bathroom, no tv and a set of open fronted wardrobe (see photos). It was clean but sometimes the odd ant will make its way across the floor. There are 2 parts to the windows, first the wire netting to stop mosquitoes from flying in and then a brown shaded proper window which tones down the bright sunlight. Unfortunately there are no curtains or blinds, which means unless you have an eyemask handy you're likely to wake up fairly early at 7-8am by the sunlight. The ensuite bathroom is compact and has no shower tray as expected. The shower water drains into a corner of the bathroom and you have to squeegy it with broom to put the water off the floor tiles. Also note that throughout Dahab their sewage system cannot process toilet paper, so you'll need to put used toilet paper into the bin provided. There is an individual water heater so there is guaranteed hot water whatever time of day you want it. The tap/shower water is slightly salty which is fine to brush teeth with, but with bottled water at 6LE for 6 litres I chose the latter. There was only one electric socket in the room (2 round pin European plug), it was fine for me to charge my phone and netbook.

I had to unexpected take a call from work during a rare power cut! Soliman kindly suggested that I use his phone even though it would cost him a lot of money. Fortunately the power came back on again within 20mins and work was able to call through to the hotel office phone.

Housekeeping is on a 'demand' basis so they won't clean your room/ change bedding or towels unless you asked, which is nice as I know no one would disturb me when I'm sleeping in some mornings.

Other things which I would have liked to know before choosing this hotel:
- There are a plethora of restaurants surrounding the hotel. From road side Yum Yum Restaurant (see my other review) to the seaside Penguin Restaurant (also in another review), all within 1 min walk from the entrance of Jowhara Hotel.
- Less than 1min walk across Penguin Village towards the sea. Mashraba area is the best for snorkelling as there are a lot less people than the Lighthouse area and the coral reefs are much more colourful. Beware of jelly fish in the evenings though throughout the bay & north lagoona area.
- Loads of ATMs and supermarkets on El Marshraba Road and a couple of fruit stalls all within 1-2mins walk from the hotel. Very important as lugging 6lt of bottled water for long distances would wrench my arm from its socket!
- Must try the South North Tea Garden (see my other review) which is less than 1 min walk from Jowhara Hotel north on El Mashraba Road towards the main tourist promenade.
- If you think of the midpoint of the main tourist area as the Bridge on the pedestrian promenade, it takes around 10-15mins walk from the hotel, depending on how often you get stopped by the PR men at the seaside restaurants.
- No pool at the hotel. Dyarna Hotel (3 mins walk south of Jowhara) will allow use their pool and sunbeds for 20/30LE per person depending on season. I also had a wonderful full body Egyptian massage there (200LE).
- Christina Hotel is a neighbouring hotel south of Jowhara Hotel on El Mashraba Road - which also has a pool for use for a fee but I never enquired the cost.

I had such a great time in Dahab, for the most part due to the friendliness and recommendations by Tracey & Soliman. In fact I've already booked my flights to Sharm El Sheik already and will be returning to the Jowhara Hotel with my partner this time, so I can show off all that I had discovered on my own!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back of the hotel are much quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank hellobayo
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Jowhara is a small family owned hotel in a quieter part of Dahab. The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable. I was made to feel instantly welcome by Tracey, Suleiman and Mohamed. Their warmth and openness makes you feel more like a friend than a guest and it is this which makes Jowhara such a special place to stay. Highly recommended

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SuzanneRJ
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here over the Christmas period and had such a lovely time. The rooms are clean and comfortable, it's in a fairly quiet area, and the staff are great. It felt like home to me by the time I left, as Tracey, Mohamed and Suleiman really did treat my more as a friend than a guest. The breakfasts are delicious and there are various trips you can book. I didn't personally do the trips but I will be back soon and test these out too! A happy and uplifting hotel, highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Allie A
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Jowhara hotel over xmas and new year. Even though Dahab was quieter than my two previous visits, the hotel, staff were as freindly as ever. helpful and especiaclly at encertain times lie these, the sence of safety and community based wellbeing shone through. Tracy and Soliman were two of the most hospitable and careing individuals any holiday maker/backpacker would care to meet.
So I thoroughly recommened this hotel and will be goin there again in late May and cannot wait!

Room Tip: Closest to the office for quality internet
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo