“Avoid this hotel unless you want food not even fit for a dog,rude staff and more excluded than all included in your Holiday.”

Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 31 July 2012

If you fancy a holiday to losse weight or planing to be anarexic this is for you. If you fancy a holiday with no beach this is for you. As if you wanted to make sand castle you would need a digger. Dick Turpins Gift Shop,talk about over priced and dont sell cold drinks as its always you have mini bar! Also a rip off. Food always same each day for 14 days. Best part of holiday was at airport on way home as they had food with taste. Don't waste your money on this not even worth a 1star hotel. If you have booked here change hotel ASAP.

• Stayed July 2012
8 Thank Stebbin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and i have just returned from our holiday in dahab the resort was called the mercure bay view, first impressions were very good, nice big rooms, very clean and modern, excellent views over gulf. the staff were very good but over worked so service was slow at times, our holiday went down hill when all the locals arrived, the ( resturant) was a disaster,both me and my wife got food poisoning after only 2 days of being there, it took me 6 days to recover after getting 4 lots of medication in dahab from the chemist. the food in the resturant was never hot most of the time it was just plain cold, when we went for breakfast the coffee machine and hot water machine was never switched on,so we had to wait for the staff to turn up before we could have a drink .
the beach bar and pool bar should open at 10 am i don,t think sooo you are lucky to get a drink befire 11am,as for the food att the pool barit was decent and simple,only problem is it should start at 12.30 no chance you could not put in your order till after 1pm they were so disorganised you were lucky to eat before 2 oclock.
the guy at the pool bar walid is wasted at this hotel because he is far to good and works very hard.
as for the reps at thompson what a JOKE!! there was no welcome pack on our arrival, no welcome meeting,and when we did see him a week later we told him how ill we had been, he told me it was not food poisoning, but the heat . there was a leasted another 7 couples with the same thing as they told us what to get at the chemist .we made a report to the rep he wrote it down and said he will sort it out we never saw him again,the next person we saw was higher in rank then a rep so he said his name was paul.he did,nt know anything about it so we had to explain it all again so he made notes and would leave us a copy at reception the next day, did,nt see him again either and did,nt get a copy of the report.the last few days of our holiday we went into dahab to eat
.THOMSONS ARE A JOKE.. THIS IS A FANTASTIC HOTEL BUT THE RESTURANT NEEDS SORTING OUT BIG STYLE....

Room Tip: any room in the 300s for fantastic views
6 Thank rosecol1958
Suffolk
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Firstly I would like to say that I was not very impressed with this hotel overall, it is not a cheap holiday and for the standard that we received I would expect this holiday to be less costly. We booked this holiday as the reviews that we read said that it was a "fantastic place" and mainly for adults. When we arrived we were unable to get into our room as the door was locked and unable to open even for the Manager, so the manager gave us another room of poor standard and sick up the bathroom wall! Great first impression NOT!

The next day my partner spent most of his first day of holiday sorting bags and rooms out which was not what you expect on your first day of holiday.

Food:
Very disappointing and not much of it once the Egyptians got their hands on it, most of which they did not eat. Restaurant manager needs to be taught how to run a restaurant and not just stand around waiting for staff to do things that they are not trained to do.... Help Them!!!

Pool Bar:
The pool bar guy is a one man wonder he should be manager of this hotel with out a doubt!!!

Cleanliness of rooms:
Good, however if you do get the "bug" top tip lock toilet roll into your safe then you will have some when you run out as they do not tend to replace and one day I waited 3 hours for the room to be serviced for some toilet roll and had to borrow from next door!!!

The Reef:
Excellent snorkeling however the beach was terrible.

Sorry to sound soooooo negative but I feel that when you work hard for your money to save for a good holiday then that's what you should get, however this is not what we got at all!

Please understand that this hotel could be outstanding but seriously needs someone to go in and manage it properly. Thomson have a responsibility and should be reviewing this hotel regularly to ensure that it is suitable for the British.

6 Thank H H
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is the second time I've used this hotel.
the first was in 2010, and nothing has changed much. The hotel is still clean, not exceptionally clean, but clean, the rooms are large and the service is good. The breakfast is good and abundant and can satisfy any kind of need from fresh fruit of any kind to salads and a vas amount of sweets and breads. The beach is nice, and the reef is just there, So you go in and snorkel. That's it. The hotel is out of the main city, but there's mr. Hayman that can hel you on any need from taxy to luxury travel/trip to any destination, with high quality services. I've enjoyed a lot the trip to ras abu gallum, that I strongly recommend to anybody. Watch out from the "tour operator" that you find in the cities.. It's a different kind of services.. :).
Let me finally express my appreciation for the staff of the hotel who helped us to overcome the issues we had with our rooms, that can normally happen. Thanks Mr Ahmed and Mrs. Zizette.

4 Thank carloassorti
Nottingham
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Me and my daughter travelled here for a well earned 2 week all inclusive break at the start of July and to begin with it was certainly a "4 rating" experience.

First, the hotel: Its built on a fairly steep slope leading down parallel from a coast road to the sea and has it's own private stretch of beach. It's about 4km from Dahab. (There is a free shuttle bus into Dahab twice a day - you must go, it's an experience.) The "sand" is more like grit so dont expect to be making any sand castles. On the beach is a massage centre sun-beds, showers a small jetty and a bar which usually opened about 11am or thereabouts. Slightly inland from the beach is the main pool area which has toilets, a bar/cafe and sunbeds/showers. Dont let the pictures fool you here - the pool isn't that big and soon fills up.

From there moving back towards the main hotel complex is a series of hotel bedrooms arranged in an rows of slight arcs all facing the sea with steps or "easy access" ramps between the 5 levels or rows. In the UK these steps wouldn't be that much of a problem, but at 4pm in 40 degree heat it feels like you're trying to walk up a vertical wall. Pace yourself .. The rooms are numbered to illustrate the row they/re on with 100's being closest to the pool and 400/500's being closest to the hotel. In my opinion, the 400's are most convienient as you tend to go to the hotel 2 or 3 times a day (for meals/drinks) but only once to the pool, so the poor people down in the 100's have to climb and descend the steps more times / day. Whilst on the subject of rooms - they're clean - mostly however twice we found cockroaches, once in the toilet bowl (were the floors really that bad?) and once on the floor of the room. The shower was good when the water heater was turned on but even when it wasn't the water wasn't freezing - probably thanks to 46 degree heat during the day.

The main hotel complex is for the most part clean and cool and has some fantastic views of the Red Sea and Saudi Arabia (just over the gulf). To counter the cleanliness aspect, the toilets of the main hotel usually stank and due to the heat, it was hard to do a driveby high speed visit without having to breathe. On a few occassions I noticed a lack of soap in the dispensers which may go some way to explaining my travellers tummy for 8 out of the 14 days.

The pool bar toilets were shocking. I don't think I've seen anything more unsanitary. The worst of the toilets being the "staff only" ones. Completely and utterly disgusting - words are hard to find to describe. If you do go, take a look for yourself and take a picture - I tried but got shooed away. Now I'm not a prude and I'm fairly pragmatic but I don't pee in the pool. This cannot be said for many others - whilst swimming or playing with the bat & ball I often moved through a slightly warmer patch of water adjacent to other pool-goers. People were swimming in this, being dunked, swallowing water, coughing it up etc.. cmon people.. Having said that, given the choice between pee'ing in the toilets or the pool, I can see why so many chose the pool and given the levels of travellers tummy experienced by most people, perhaps we were lucky it was only pee...

The restaraunt looks far better on the pictures than in real life - top marks to the photographer. Food was bland, repetative, plentiful if you were there 10 mins offical opening, and scarce if you arrived mid-way through service, repetative, luke warm, repetative and repetative. Seriously, a 1 star for food, 5 star for staff service.

About 5 or 6 days into the 2 week holiday (to co-incide with deli-belly) the hotel was innundated by many more "locals" and without wishing to sound rude, "locusts" is the best way to describe the following events. Food was stripped from the serving platters by the handful, piled high with zero chance of being eaten, sheer gluttony. People picked up glasses to fill with orange juice, drank from them and put them back only to be picked up and used again by different people, no tongs for the bread rolls so they were mauled by all and sundry, huge helpings of bread and cakes taken to tables and then wasted or put into bags and taken away, leaving none for the later arrivals at meal times. There is a hygenic hand cleanser as you walk from the food area to the seating area but over the entire 2 weeks I was there, I only saw me and my daughter use it.

There were many complaints from hotel guests about this food situation and on day 12 a special "TUI Thomson" event was arranged for the much more pleasant paying side of the restraunt. It served the same (or simiilar) food but had way fewer people there - a small token of acceptance of the situation by the hotel perhaps?

To add insult to injury on the 10th night we had new neighbours who happened to be of local descent. The shouting, screaming, moving of furniture, banging etc that came from that room forced me on more than one occassion to bang the walls and adjoining door at 2 am - it was like they had either no experience of how to exist in a hotel or just didn't give two hoots about the families around them. Inconsiderate to the last.

On the latter half of our holiday the usually quiet bar area was tranformed into a kids playground and we found it difficult to impossible to find a seat or get served at the bar with locals shouting drinks orders over the more patient tourists and being served immediately. Infuriating...

To season this review with a glimpse of the flip side, the staff were approachable, friendly, welcoming and helpful, willing to assist almost anywhere. Do watch out (more from a curiosity point of view than anything else) for the bar "tab". When you'r asked to sign for your drinks etc, have a look at the bill.. If you're all inclusive it wont cost you anyway, but when I ordered a fanta and a beer, and sign for the items, the bar staff usually rush you along, holding their thumb over the items and quantities. I can only assume that any "extras" are used for the staff party or something .. again, just curious.

Snorkelling and camel rides are great fun - shop around for a good deal on the trips. We paid £20 each for a full day of snorkelling and camel riding.

In summary : Fantastic views, excellent staff, nice hotel .. food is rubbish, hotel too small at peak times, pool ok but small with no deep areas or "toys" such as slides etc. Toilets revolting. Take tummy medicine and higher factor than usual sun cream - the sun is vicious. Go on a trip or 2, theres nothing to do at the hotel and you will go stir crazy if you're there for a couple of weeks. Started off as a 4 star on arrival, ended on a 2 star at the end - perhaps should have been a 1 star but the staff tipped the balance.

I won't be going back there to Dahab to stay in that hotel unless it changes significantly, but I will be back to Dahab.

Room Tip: Go for rooms in the 400's if possible. The upper floors have a nicer view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank FreudianSlyp
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

After reading the last few reviews on the bay view I thought i would write. I stayed at the bay view at the end of may beginning of june this year. My holiday was fantastic, the hotel was lovely and peaceful, the staff were fantastic especially Mohammed with the golf buggy, he picked us up every day from the beach and took us up to the main hotel for lunch and picked us up again late afternoon and dropped us off at our room, nothing was too much trouble! The staff in the restuarant were a little standoffish when it came to having a second drink but that wasn't a problem, my partner and I didn't fall ill from eating the food, the head chef was lovely and gave me quite a few recipes. We found the thompsons rep very helpful and friendly we had many conversations with him over coffee in the mornings.
The hotel obviously gets busy this time of year and they don't employ enough staff! Was planning on going back next year but not to sure now as it seems to have gone downhill, will keep looking at reviews to see if things improve

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank simplyred33
Dalwhinnie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

When reading reviews about this hotel, I would disconsider reviews from new members/members with only one review/members who say they wrote the review while they were there.

I booked this hotel because I read previous reviews, as usual, and could not believe my luck! While staying at the MDBV, I was PESTERED by staff (Mustafa, from the restaurant, along with his boss) to write a positive review about the hotel/restaurant, and mention his name. You would not believe my rage, still can't believe I managed to keep a straight face. One day I even mention that I had food poisoning but they kept pestering me.

The hotel as it is:

Rooms - VERY nice rooms; clean, spacious, comfy beds/pillows, safe, large balcony and great views.

Restaurant - Streptoquin and Adix, remember these names, they are worth their weight in gold. You can buy medicine over the counter in Egypt and Dahab is full of pharmacies. You WILL get sick in summer. They have no sense of hygiene or health and safety standards. The yogurts (tonnes of them, there are LOTS of rooms in the hotel) as well as the salads, stay in a counter with no refrigeration and the weather is in the 40's in July. The hot food is warm, so are the salads. Leftovers are 'transformed' into something else for the next meal and you eat the same thing every day. I am not a fussy eater and LOVE middle eastern food, but that was something else. People in prison in the UK probably eat better food than that! One night they had mashed potato and I was in ecstasy, the best thing I ate the whole time I was there! After that we both got sick and stopped eating at the hotel. By sick I mean CRAMPS, not just diarrhea and vomit (but that as well).

The house reef - AWESOME! I wouldn't even consider this hotel if you're not into diving/snorkeling. There is nothing romantic about the place. It is one massive council estate (albeit a nice one) in which they pack whole families into a large room. There are way more rooms than the size of the plot can accommodate and THERE ISN'T a beach. You need to cross a jetty to get to the sea and it is DEEP. Not suitable for children - unless you put them in the swimming pool with the ARMY of children which scream around it the whole day. We were there for a diving course at the Le Meridien (the next hotel) and the house reef was much nicer at our hotel - but the atmosphere was better at the Le Meridien. The price is the same for them with First Choice, but you only get breakfast at the Meridien (perhaps more than what I got at the Mercure).

Distance to Dahab - 5 miles. If you use the shuttle, a taxi back is £2 (20 LE), you can then get the taxi driver's number and he will come and pick you up and drive you everywhere for pennies - £10 to the blue hole and back. Egypt is VERY cheap, a decent top seafood meal for two at the best restaurant in town won't cost you more than £15.

Diving - Poseidon Divers in Dahab or Le Meridien are awesome. £200 for an Open Water and £150 for an Advanced Open Water.

The steps - probably not bad in winter, but a KILLER in summer. There is no good room. It is so badly planned that the restaurant/lobby/reception/way out is at the top and the pool/sea at the bottom. Whichever room you get, the walk will be the same.

Would we go back to Dahab? Definitely, my second time there. To this hotel? We paid £710 each for a fortnight all inclusive and in my opinion it was a RIPOFF!!! If it was half the price maybe, but I would stay WELL CLEAR from the restaurant.

SHAME ON YOU MANAGEMENT of the hotel, for allowing/taking part on this scheme of coercing guests into writing reviews. And SHAME ON YOU REVIEWER for giving into it for a better table/nice place at the pool/better treatment. This is NOT what Trip Advisor is all about!!! Having said that, I would like to congratulate the guy who works at the pool bar, Walid. I've never seen anyone work so hard in my whole life. That would be considered slavery in the UK!!!

7 Thank CarolinaUK