“Brilliant value for money”

Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I was abit worried before booking this hotel because the price was little for what they offered to deliver. But we were welcomed by the front desk upon arrival we were checked in, in 5 min in very spacious clean room. Staff is friendly amazing spot for kite surfers on windy days. The front desk people ae very friendly. I would definitely come again for a long vacation here.
One draw back is food, it's not nice and need a lot of improvement.

Room Tip: Alway book the superior with the privat pool
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mouradf1980
There are newer reviews for Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Beautiful location, awful service, the crew are all thieves, don't leave anything at tables.. The crew .. The worst vacation i got to spend at lovely Dahab.. All toilets are filthy.. flirts and harasses so boldly .. The food is beyond awful..

Room Tip: VIP 200 rooms are the best rooms. A bit away from sea..
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Aelgamal
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Have just returned from two fantastic weeks at this lovely hotel. Clean, spacious, modern bedrooms with the comfiest bed I've ever slept in on holiday! Staff all really friendly, hardworking and always with a smile! Fantastic setting, set apart from the hustle and bustle - a haven to recharge batteries and enjoy the crystal blue sea and wonderful weather. Food is not cordon bleu - but nice enough - especially the deserts!

Room Tip: Resort is usually quiet and if you not in to climbing steps ask for a room nearer the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Reifthecamel
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed in this hotel 3 times now and will go back again. Worse thing abut the hotel is the Brits moaning and wingeing non-stop and reluctant to tip! What's a couple of quid to us when we're on holiday? Yes, we tipped the towel boys who gave us an excellent service for 14 days. It beats having to compete with the tourists who reserve their sun loungers at ridiculous o'clock! And we tipped mini-Mohammed in the lobby bar, fascinated by how he could serve 6 customers at once and remember everyone's order. He deserves a medal for having to put up with the rudeness of many guests. We never waited more than 2 seconds for our G&T's which were always served with a smile. As for Ramadam the cheeky Shishi-pipe Bedouin; he was 100% entertaining every day! Such a nice guy and he seemed to have at least 4 jobs; lobby bar, pool bar, pot collector and Bedouin tent. And Walhid at the pool bar - a true gentleman, so hardworking yet extremely cheerful all the time. Sheriff at the beach bar likewise, always smiling and so willing to please each and every customer with his jovial banter. Then there's Mohamed and Mustafer in the restaurant. Always asking is everything ok and drinks were on our table before we'd brought our first course back! Mohammed the 'buggy man', collected us everyday from the pool for very little recompense. What a lovely bloke! As for the salon boys, Abdullah and Bazim, we had great banter with them every day with no need to purchase a shave or a haircut. It's interesting that all the negative reviewers of this hotel never even bothered to learn the names of any of the staff which says more about them than it does about the hotel. Our room was spotless, mini-bar top-up and clean towels every day. Breakfast best meal of the day in the restaurant and lunch at the pool bar limited but very tasty burgers and pizza. Lunch and dinner in the restaurant nothing special but soups always delicious. Scenery amazing - beautiful mountain backdrop and picture postcard pool setting. Lots of steps but pool and beach can be accessed by walking down a side road or better still calling reception for the 'buggy man'! If you want 5 * plus go somewhere else but if you want a quiet relaxing holiday in a beautiful setting with wall to wall sunshine inside and out, come to this hotel! Kath & Kevin (known to the staff as Mr 'Zolatar'). Thanks everyone for another great holiday!

Room Tip: Tier 4 gives easy access to restaurant, reception and lobby bar. Tier 3 has excellent pool views...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Kath C
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I had great expectations of our holiday at Mercure Dahab Bay view for the last two weeks of July 2012 (19th July- 3rd August 2012) but sadly they were not really met.

To save you reading my [rather long] waffle I will summarise:

1) Food was mediocre but not dissimilar to what we have had at other Egyptian all inclusives although just not as good quality- it lacked something!
2) Service- very poor throughout hotel…on the second evening we realised it wasn’t the sort of place that warranted tipping-it just didn’t seem personal enough and you don’t get to know any particular waiter well enough to form a bond. I know you shouldn’t HAVE to tip but the whole set up is lacking that feel.
3) Drink service in restaurant- again, just not really happening. The rule of red wine only with evening meal can be got around by ordering another before you have finished and taking it to the bar although once your table is cleared it is hard to get any waiters attention to get another (and they would probably tell you you had finished your meal) lol
4) Drink service in bar- very poor however once I started ordering Mojitos (you pay for these) we did manage to get a smile and some banter—maybe the bar man is bored and unchallenged and mixing cocktails gave him some creative licence—the mojitos were fabulous BTW.
5) Drink service and food service at pool bar- excellent. I reiterate what everyone else has said. The pool bar guy (I forget his name) is a star, completely wonderful, only sullen occasionally (given he works 7am till 10pm he is allowed that) and very humourous (and yes we did tip him as he deserved it)
6) ice cream o’clock—a GREAT idea but rationed! Depending on who served us, you could get a second portion but one guy would not give a second portion when asked…..is this school portions or rations? Certainly not what you expect of an all inclusive..
7) cleanliness- not very good. Yes, the rooms are cleaned daily however the standard of finish to the rooms (tiling and grouting and paint work) is such that already the place is tired looking and not easy to clean.
8) Cleanliness –pool area- There were several issues regarding objects and rubbish around the pool area that indicated the premises was not cleaned properly or at a suitable frequency. i.e daily.
9) Management – the overall responsibility for all these problems lie with management or a lack of! Are staff really corrupt and taking back handers in order for guests to secure a decent service? Or is it done with management approval as they are so poorly paid? They are certainly short staffed and it shows
10) Management to restaurant- wey hey! A female in a predominantly male environment but for goodness sake, she should drop the chip on her shoulder and manage effectively and that does not include waltzing around on her phone and watching-lets look at things critically ms and action failings including cleaning at lower level!

For this hotel:

1)The reef and the dive centre at the hotel- Blue Ocean diving…. Great dive school with great prices- a shame I couldn’t dive due to a shoulder injury but will visit them again at their new premises in Dahab.
2) we met some absolutely wonderful people here and the lack of facilities certainly mean't we communicated frequently :)
3) a handful of staff members who work incredibly hard and management should promote these so they can train other staff members to their standards.
Initially we had wanted to go back to The Movenpick at Taba however we were unable to find an agent arranging package holidays there so after careful reviews on Thomson and Tripadvisor we picked this holiday/hotel. The main consideration for a holiday was that I needed a rest so I wasn't too concerned about the apparent lack of entertainment and certainly did not need an animation team (although they can be entertaining in itself) Additionally, we were not too concerned initially about the very few poor reviews regarding poor food as we have been to Egypt a few times and each time found the menu's repetitive on a weekly basis but more on that later. :-/

Travelling from Doncaster airport was an absolute pleasure and made the dreaded airport experience a breeze and even arriving at Sharm was organised as was arrival at the hotel although -different to my daughter who joined us on the second week- we didn't get to eat in the restaurant and only received a rather bland cheese roll and olives in the room despite arriving at 9.30 pm.....Because of this, we made sure we mentioned to the restaurant manager the next week that my daughter was arriving and we wished to eat there after 9.30 and to that, he was accommodating; how could he not be when the restaurant was supposed to be open till 10pm you may ask? Well, a week of varying clearance times of food and varying amounts offered made me check.

The first evening saw the standard of service at the main hotel bar being set...rather slow and surly to say the least... Towards the end of the holiday, the bar chappie did get better and more polite but maybe because I had discovered a fondness for Mojito's which were 50 Egyptian pounds (equivilant to 5 UK pounds) a go……after a couple of nights of having one (or two ☺ ) of these, he even started offering BOGOF's when you ordered 2- i.e buy 2 get 4 but strangely, this money went straight into his pocket- other than these rare displays of happiness (maybe his job is so awful making a cocktail excites him?) he was incredibly surly and showed little enthusiasm for service, preferring instead to sit and look at his phone or even sit in the back of the bar for ages until on a few occasions Peter complained to the reception who simply called him (via phone) to get service again…The reports re ordering drinks is also true- a handful of people seemed adept at getting a bottle of beer each when ordering, but when I tried for large beers I just got glasses and one man even had to take his glass back before he would give another drink…very bizarre behaviour not disimalr to being in school and certainly worlds apart from the service we have become accustomed to in most hotels and even in the UK… Was it because it was the middle of Ramadan? An excuse we frequently heard? Or simply that everyone is over worked and under paid and feel its worth taking the chance of pocketing money and losing their job? It could also be, of course, that this practice is with Management consent

The pattern of possible back handers and pocketing money appeared to be repeated throughout the hotel and especially down at the pool regarding sun loungers. Because we are not very territorial when it comes to sun loungers and because we preferred snorkeling in the sea, we didn't spend alot of time around the pool and anyway, when we sauntered down around 10 ish the better loungers were generally taken with towels on (yet no bodies) It was only two days before leaving when the towel boy thought we were new and showed me to a premium position that i discovered what was going on..he shows you to the loungers then comes back and asks if you would like this position for the rest of your stay (yes, I over did the sun lotion so wasn't very bronzed lol) I wasn't quick enough to play along, rather i said we were going home in two days and his face dropped... a few minutes later, I heard him say the same thing to another new couple and observed money being given to the towel boy so presume had i given him chance, he would have told me a price… Later that morning, when someone asked for a towel, he said he had none and they must walk down the beach for one..it amazed me that such a lack of service existed when the staff can treat guests with such contempt. I feel the general consensus is that all visitors are rich, well off and they don’t appreciate that we too have had to work hard to pay for 2 weeks in their country. Another incident that really grated on us was again 2 days before we left when at around 5.30 pm the towel boy said it was time to vacate the pool. Since we were sitting on the steps cooling down and the slight concentration camp attitude had started to P*** us off a bit, we said No. He pointed out that the pool closed at sun set and we pointed out that the sun had not actually set rather it had just dipped behind the 1st part of the building. I can appreciate a general rule regarding health and safety and the pool not being manned however this guy just treated everyone NOT passing him some money with contempt. Again, I can also empathise that towards the end of the day they are all gasping for food and drink however as we pointed out to him, we have paid good money for a holiday and some service and we felt at this point we were not getting it.

With regards to food- as reiterated by almost everyone; the breakfast is great, the lunches okay although I personally ended up eating salad most lunch times. Contrary to other guests, I didn’t really like the pool food but that is preferance. It was pizza, burgers or hot dogs or a breaded chicken in a bun – all served with fries. It was plain fayre and what a lot of people wanted however it just wasn’t my thing. Despite stating lunch was served in between 12 (as I recall) and 2, they refused orders prior to 12.30. We preferred to walk back up to the restaurant though and eat there. Evenings were indeed a lot of rehashed food however food hygiene wise I did not see any problems and food temperatures seemed good (Im an EHO and hot food definitely seemed above our minimum requirement and salad, fruit and yogurt was adequately refrigerated and even if there had been a failure the room was air conditioned) Many people moaned of alleged “food poisoning” or food related Diarohea but in reality, most of these people were also drinking beer more than they would at home and sat in 45 degrees plus ALL day whilst NOT drinking enough water…a tip- take pro biotics for 2 weeks before you go away and whilst on holiday and it reduces effects of travelers tummy…overall, it was typical Egyptian all inclusive fayre BUT I have had a lot better variety..the soups and desserts however were fabulous!

Facilities- severely lacking. Despite wanting a peaceful, restful holiday even I was bored after 5 days. There was no piano player (he was present one evening but we missed him- maybe a blessing?) The spa was closed- waiting for a part and claimed the pump only failed the day we arrived when reviews stated otherwise) The a la carte restaurant wasn’t open although I was told we could book it but who wants to book a table in an empty restaurant before seeing the menu? The masseur service was only average- the girl that comes around selling the massages was amazing in her technique however when I arrived for the massage she didn’t actually do it, instead it was just an average massage… a tad let down after bartering so long lol…

As stated, the dive centre are very good and very reasonable prices- arrange any snorkeling trips via these and not through Thomson as they are half the price.

Cleanliness of the hotel I found lacking however I do have an eye for the bits a lot of people may miss—curse of the job.

Overall, the hotel was disappointing, and not worth the 3 star + billing it was given, but all of the problems identified could be easily sorted with a lot more input from management, retraining of the staff in customer relations and some incentives for staff…Give staff the credit were its due and shift the slackers! The grounds and setting are wonderful and it is a shame that they are being let down by attitudes of (sadly) the majority, including the management who cite Ramadan as the reason for the poor service….

Did I complain whilst I was there? No! as I don’t want to be humoured and kidded along-and we will simply vote with our feet and go somewhere else another time. Additionally, we will more than likely use another tour operator since Thomson should be checking what they are offering in the packages; they are in effect, mis representing this hotel and the facilities on offer, but that’s another issue! Shame on you Thomson!

Room Tip: Rooms 300-400 are approximately mid way within the complex...on almost the same level as the restaur...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janet Y
Reviewed 15 August 2012

i spent a nice l vacation in the hotel the weather was hot but the hospitality and the good service made our vacation really wonderful, generally i find Dahab in Sinai safe it was my 1st visit and
it will not be my last visit there

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nahla o
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed herein July with my partner, I met my mum and her partner out there. They went the week before for who weeks, we joined them for the second week.

Between us , we have been to different parts of Egypt on many occasions and were looking forward to staying at the Mercure Dahab because of the great reviews when we booked.

I want to write a fair review on everything that the hotel has to offer, however I have rated the hotel 2 Stars because overal, paying £600 pp for a week here..was bitterly disappointed.

Starting with the our arrival... Our arrival was fine ,we checked in with no problems, we're greeted at reception , then our bags and ourselves were transported to our room via a buggy, which was lovely given the heat we arrived to at 9pm at night. My mum had stayed in the resteraunt so we could eat however no tables were laid, little food and slow service on drinks despite the fact that the resteraunt is meant to be open till 10pm.

First night....air conditioning was broken , terrible nights sleep...nsurely they should check for things like this before giving rooms. Complained next morning and it was thankfully fixed around mid day.

The grounds.... Lots of steps to climb in hot hot weather... But overal they are beautiful, kept clean and lovely views, beach is ok and the house reef is great! BUT....swimming pool dirty on the bottom, tiles had fallen off, Even someone cut their foot on the bottom of the pool.l

The grounds are however let down by the SERVICE and MANAGEMENT( or lack of) ... This place stinks of corruption... Bribes for sunbeds, beach bar opening different times in the day, rude to people, serving 'favorites' being told 'no towels ' so to walk to the other towel place on the beach .... Excuse me?

Beach bar is meant to ( according to the 'all inclusive concept sheet' to serve lunch from half twelve... They seem to ignore this and do what they want.

That leads me on to the ALL INCLUSIVE SHACKLES
- drinks served from 10am at the beach bar and pool bar... If you are down here before then get prepared to dehydrate
- breakfast is probably the best meal of the day but have tiny glasses for drinks of water/juice...ask for a tray or have someone with big hands or after one sip you will be getting a top up... A tip to the management ..l.save on washing up and get larger glasses
- lunch served from the pool bar from one not half twelve , you can have ONE meal from here....not two...one
- lunch in resteraunt, okay but service for drinks extremely slow...same food you get at night but is mixed later..rice, tough beef, chicken thighs, same everyday
- tea / dinner...stuff left from lunch ! Service for drinks very slow, if your not here when it opens don't expect a table to be made up...instead expected to get your own cutlery etc. waiters avoid eye contact after first drink so you struggle to get another
- don't serve juice at dinner
- don't listen to orders properly, forgetful and rude.
- expect to pay for drinks in minibar
- icecream servd at four from pool bar, no cones, put in a plastic drinking cup, limited flavours, only aloud one trip for ice cream,, go for someone else and your questioned like it are a criminal.

Hats off to the man at the pool bar, he works extremely hrd, in my opinion, the only one that does. Everyone else is lazy especially the man in the main bar.

The main bar, the man behind th bar is rude, corrupt and doesn't want to serve anyone, in fact does everything but serve people.

Ask for a Large beer I.e one bottle rather than half..expect a no unless you tip him frequently....apparently has a limit of 42 bottles of beer per night...after that? Its a no to your all inclusive beer

Air con in bar switched off during the day, so it's hot in reception etc.

Hotel facilities
- spa not open
- a la rate resteraunt not open
- on site dive centre ran independent from hotel - FAB and value for money, very cheap compared to Thomson trp. 14 euro snorkel to blue hole...Double this price with Thomson...service here is great. Very honest people.
- massage - Alan very good , barter and you can get a good price

CLEAN? Rooms were clean and big, new towels everyday, but under the bed dirty.. One issue... The last day, due to check out at two... I made sure everything was packed and took my phone which as dad out of the safe and into my handbag so I didn't leave it behind..I then went for a massage with my partner and decided when returning to the room to double check all draws.. I then found my phone, in the drawer... Previous days to this my partner had been in the room, Ill and the cleaner had been asking about IPHONE etc... The point in moving my phone? So I'd forget it...either way...very dishonest?!!

We met some lovely English people whilst here.. This I would not change.

Would I go to this hotel again? Not for £600 . We went to taba the previous year and stayed in the Movenpick.. This was fabulous...Mercure dahab was a disappointment.

It has the potential to be a lovely hotel is the management and staff are changed and if the shackles from the all inclusive are released...we were always asked to sign forms for drinks...( strange ?)

My confidence with Thomson has completely diminished.. What are they doing advertising this ad a three*+ hotel... What a joke.

Summary - good things - surroundings, the look of the hotel and the dive centre..
Bad things everything else

I appologise for any typos, I'm typing on the iPad and it delays some things...

Vanessa x

Room Tip: All require steps
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple