“Worst hotel ever”

Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I can't even give this hotel a 1 star. It's the worst I have ever been to in my life. Totally disgusting in every possible way. It's never been cleaned, rooms are vile to the extent of having mould all over our bathroom and a brown rim around our toilet seat. Food you just cannot eat. It's not food. I could go on and on. All I can say is don't be conned by the professional pictures taken like we did. We got moved after a day as my other half couldn't even take a shower. I get the feeling that this hotel serves the windsurfers who just want something basic near by and aren't too fussed as out all day at sea. I have never Been anywhere so disgusting in my life and would never go back if you paid me. The only laughable plus is it has a great gym!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul197438
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
Thank you for posting your constructive comments.
Please be assured that we take all the necessary measures to identify means of development and improvement to elevate the quality of service.
We are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.
We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again where you would experience and touch the value of progression.
Again , we are deeply sorry that you experience did not meet your expectation
Sincerely

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My girlfriend and I chose to stay at the Mecure for the kitesurfing facilities alone, which were faultless. Fantastic service all round from the guys at Harry Nass, from the management to the beach boys...

The hotel however could be vastly improved.

Food was average at best. Breakfast was acceptable, lunch was worse than poor due to the complete lack of options available, despite there being a menu to choose from only 4 items were available for the entire 2 weeks. Dinner was the least enjoyable of the daily 3 meals, so much so we ate there a total of 3 times and then chose to eat in town for far better quality and overall service.

The staff (bar from maybe 3) were consistently miserable with each request to the staff being met with either a blank face or general apathy. We also noticed the better service for the Egyptians staying at the hotel as opposed to the Western tourists.

The persistent approach from both the Beauty Salon and Massage reps was more than annoying (being polite), and they simply couldn't grasp the concept that their services weren't required. The massage sales rep was particulary rude when he said to me "I can smell your money, I want your money..."

The A/C in the room leaked and we were only offered a change of room 2 days before leaving after having complained twice.

Positives are the free shuttle bus service into town, but be sure to book as spaces are limited, a total of 3 happy and responsive staff and as mentioned the excellent kitesurfing facilities.

Safety wise, no issues and if you were considering travelling here as a group of kiters, you'd have a great time. Wouldn't recommend for couples or families unless you're willing to accept the generally poor service and quality of food.

Room Tip: Request a room in the 300s to avoid excessive walking. Be sure to book onto the free shuttle bus...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank honador
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Mercure Dahab Bay View. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
We are deeply sorry that you experience did not meet your expectation and we regret that you left the hotel with a negative impression .
We really look forward to seeing you again during your next visit where you will touch a progress in our services.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

I was at the end of June there, having read lots of negative reviews abt this hotel.
My opinion : the hotel is nice.
Service everywhere, facilities and food are good. No, the food is excellent. I'm fully satisfied. By the way, no mosquitos.
Disadvantage: the hotel is on the side of the quite steep hill. If you're not strong enough, it could become a problem for you.

It is hot there, please, buy the sun creams in advance, if you dont want to overpay.

Dear friend, please, remember, that there are good people and bad people in all places, wherever you go. Don't judge abt the place, having in your mind only the worst of them.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Dahab Bay View. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I've spend here one week and I'm really pleased. After tense life of Moscow peaceful scenery of the Mercure, comfortable rooms and welcoming staff was exactly what I needed. Although it was quite windy all the time I didn't regret a minute. The facilities of the hotel are really nice and fulfilled all my desires. And massage is amazing;)) it's the best way to conclude the day for me;) or sometimes to start. So don't miss that!
Thank you for this wonderful vacation! Tanya

• Stayed: May 2013
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
We are delighted to read that the accommodations and service were up to your expectations, as complete satisfaction is our goal.
Together with my team, we would much appreciate to welcoming you as a regular guest and we are looking forward for your next visit.
Sincerely..

Reviewed 4 July 2013

The hotel is nice and the rooms are very good, however this is overshadowed by the poor service provided by the majority of the staff. Anytime we asked for something it was a massive effort for them and made us feel very uncomfortable, that's if the staff were anywhere to be found. The food was a very low standard and I'm almost certain a lot of the food was being reused for multiple days so nothing was fresh.
I wouldn't recommend a stay at this hotel

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here try get a room mid way between the beach and reception, otherwise you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Mercure Dahab Bay View.
We are deeply sorry that your experience did not meet your expectation , Needles to say what occurred does not adhere with our service and standards and we regret that you left the hotel with a negative impression , these occasions are far from our typical daily practices.
Sincerely

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We really enjoyed our second visit after 2011. The service all around the hotel has improved, especially the guys in the kitchen made a great step in the right direction. Enjoying dinner and a little shisha under the desert sky has been a very nice treat.

Kitesurfing at the Harry Nass station is really nice for the advanced kiter, lots of space on the water, few beginners who are in the way and a superb team around. Haven't seen a better place around the Red Sea so far.

Basically the same goes for diving at Blue Ocean Dive. Great fun in a relaxed but also highly professional dive base!

Where are the negatives?

The guys from the spa and beauty center don't understand / care when you are not interested.

There are two new guys around trying to set up some sort of animation program that consists of too loud, bad taste Electro music.

Dear management, please get rid of these "services" and keep your hotel as an oasis for people who are seeking a relaxed and activity / sports driven place.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank OlliausHH
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear our valuable guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your second stay at the Mercure Dahab Bay View. It is always a pleasure to welcome you at our hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2013

A most relaxing holiday despite plenty of walking and swimming. There were loads of fish just off the hotel's pier, so we snorkelled there daily. My husband was the only person in the huge long (very clean) pool every morning and was often the only one using the excellent gym facilities!
I had an excellent yoga session with Mary - not to be missed. We took the hotel's trip to see the famous Green Hole Cave (only 20min away) and again snorkelled over a huge variety of Red Sea fish along the colourful wall of live coral.
Our apartment room was large and kept very clean and well air-conditioned. The food was mainly local and after a few days, it became more interesting as what to chose! There was always more than plenty.
All staff were brilliant. They seems dedicated to their tasks and always went out of their way to please. Before we left, we became good friends with many.
The hotel may be miles away from the town but you could take a free shuttle several times daily.
We returned home, looking and feeling much healthier and totally relaxed! We can't wait to return to this (not so little ) gem of a place!

Room Tip: We were in room 362 - half way up from pool, half way down from main hotel facilities. We had early...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank silversunseekers_47
A-Naiem, General Manager at Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Dear Valauble Guest,