“Great place! We'll be back!”
Review of 4S Hotel

4S Hotel
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Dahab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 October 2010

As a single traveler I went this – and first – time to Dahab, South Sinai, Egypt. Landing at Sharm El Sheikh Airport I felt somehow left alone since I expected a huge amount of bothering Cab Drivers waiting for guests. Not in Sharm! Apparently the bothering cab driver unit is not allowed to get close to the arrival gate. While all the Charter Tourists were picked up by their tour guides, I walked over to the place where the cab drivers were sleeping in their cars. They looked somehow surprised when I approached them for a ride to Dahab. It really seems that I was the only guy that booked just a flight to Sharm… Well, after a short bargain I was sitting in the car on my way to my destination. The transit took about 50 minutes and once reached Dahab, I asked the driver whether he knew some budget accommodation. He brought me straight to some places on the beach road of Masbat but I soon had to realize that they was not exactly the places I was looking for.
I finally came across a place called 4SSSS. Since it looked quite nice from outside, I went inside to ask for the price - 40 US$ a night including breakfast. This was certainly within my budget and I decided to have a look on the rooms. Rushdi, the man at the front opened the door and I saw this ‘L’ sofa in the corner where, I thought (to my not so pleasant surprise), I should sleep during my 2 weeks vacations. To my very very pleasant surprise though, I realized that this was only the living room with an integrated kitchen, with brand new furniture, a dinner table for 4, never-used kitchen equipment, huge refrigerator, WiFi free of charge!!! TV was also in the room but I never used it. The large bed room was separate and the bath room clean and neat. WOW… and this for 40 bucks??? I then thought that there must be some hidden costs but Rushdi assured me that 40US is the price for one night in this HAMMER place! Balcony towards the pool (can be used all night long, by the way – not like in most hotels that I visited that are closing theirs at 6 or latest at 7…). I was still confused and could not believe what room I got. I felt sooo lucky and I had such a great time.
A little later I met then the owner Sameh and his family. In a few minutes I knew all the staff, they all knew my name and the Don ordered to take very good care of me. Guys believe me, they really did. Only 2 days after arriving I caught a damned flew and was in bed for 2 days. Sameh’s wife – Ginan – prepared for me soup on one evening and some typical Egyptian things the next!!! I was still not sure whether this is a dream or whether this is a hidden camera thing. I had the chance to talk to the owner on a few occasions and I really got to know how things work (or maybe not…) in his country. So, I got quite a lot of insider knowledge about this place and its culture.
It seems that the entire owner’s family is working at 4SSSS, some are his brothers, others his cousins. His 3 lovely children were there as well. Apparently it is vacation time, other than that, Sameh told me, they live elsewhere. This familiar atmosphere leaves you with a complete feeling of being home, a sound feeling of security too. My balcony door was open day and night, I didn’t even use the normal door since I always left the room passing the pool deck that I had direct access to and came back the same way. Breakfast was also more than enough and the guys always smiled and where extremely helpful. Try this typical Egyptian dish FOAL or FOOL (pronunciation is somewhere in between), it is very delicious. They also serve Falafel or if you want to go for classic Continental, Continental it is.
On another day I met the owner – as you usually do every day – when he just came back to the Hotel. He was holding a sign board in his hand telling me that he installed an airport service and said this could be directly be booked through the hotel. So next time I come, I do not have to bargain with the Cabbies anymore, even better!
To be honest, I didn’t really know what I should expect from this vacation but Sameh and his entire team (his family actually) made my stay a unique one. I cannot see how this can be possibly topped. It was always somebody there to assist, to help, to do, to organize and always with a smile in a very very friendly manner. I still cannot believe this all. Some of the guys do not speak proper English, but I did not speak any Egyptian either. At the end of the day, I always got what I wanted to have.
Since I am not a beach person, I didn’t really mind that the 4SSSS is about 8 minutes walk distance away from the sea. Same distance to Masbat, a funny place with a lot of Restaurants and Pubs where Tourists, Locals and the guys from Dive and Surf Centers meet. Quite funny, a relaxed crowd enjoying drinks and food. My favorite Restaurant there was Al Capone, they serve both, Egyptian and Western Food plus Sea Food and Salads.
If you need 5 Star Deluxe, where a trained Penguin opens the door, 4SSSS will not be your place. If you are looking though for a place that offers charming, very friendly Egyptian Family hospitality at its best with phenomenal rooms then please DO NOT MISS this place.
I should like to thank the Don of the house and his entire family for the best vacations ever!!!! I shall be back, and next year certainly not alone!!!!! :o)
By the way, I learned what the 4SSSS are standing for… you wanna know??? Go there by yourself and find out … hahahahah!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo