“Free diving course”

Desert Divers Dahab
Ranked #17 of 85 Tours in Dahab
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Dive, climb, trek, freedive and stay with Desert Divers in Dahab, Egypt! The great thing about Dahab is that all of these activities are world-class, as well as on our doorstep. Many eco awards including an EU-grant for developing sustainable tourism in the Sinai. Any questions, just ask!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband really enjoyed learning to free dive with Steve. I enjoyed the real Egypt lazing on the sun loungers of the beach bar opposite and looking at the coral reef.

2  Thank SmileyDawn
"climbing trip"
"rocky mountains"
"staff working"
in 2 reviews
"at sharm el sheikh airport"
"bedouin food"
in 7 reviews
"feel welcome"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Walking along the prom & followed the handwritten sign (and a long-standing niggle) into Desert Divers to sign up for 21/2 days of freediving. Found Irish Steve to be reassuringly no-nonsense and warmly supportive of progress - he gave this 57yr old the confidence for 20m vertical and 60 horizontal. Can't say more than that!
The owners, however, need a kick up the bum. While there is a friendly chill area at the front where Egyptian tea is served regularly-there is no shower or changing cubicles, the electrics are lethal with bare wires jammed into terminals IN THE TOILET, there appear to be no permanent admin staff, and the phone no. on the website is unobtainable.
Five stars for the freediving - 2 stars for the centre.

3  Thank Scotchwhiskers
desertman, Owner at Desert Divers Dahab, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Hi there,

It's Tanis and Said with you (the ones who need a kick up the bum!). We're so sorry the back of the club was in such a state when you were here.
As I'm sure you noticed, the land owners are in the middle of redeveloping the site. The rooms are nearly finished, and next up are the public toilets and changing area (which, we know, are terrible at the moment). Your review - and in fact your comments to Steve earlier - have made us take a hard look at what we can do now to improve the situation. Anyone walking in today will find slightly better facilities. The land owners hope to finish new toilets within the next 2-3 months. So far, we have been patient - they started the changes just before the Revolution, and it hasn't been easy for them to fund the changes and complete them as quickly as we all would like.
We're glad you enjoyed the freediving, and the Bedouin tea, and we really hope you will give us a 2nd chance to give you the full 5-star Bedouin hospitality we are famous for.

For reference, our phone number (which is working) is +20 (0)69 3640 500.
In Dahab or Sharm, simply dial 3640 500.
From anywhere in Egypt outside South Sinai, dial 069 3640 500.
From an international number, +20 69 3640 500.
I hope that helps!

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Very friendly, well run, highly professional dive centre. All arrangements, airport pickup, accomodation, dive tours and cups of tea immaculately planned and delivered. A very enjoyable stay.

3  Thank William L
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I contacted Desert Divers only a few days before departing with a list of activities I wished to do. They were extremely quick in setting up a full Itinerary with all the items I requested to be covered. They took care of everything from the moment I landed to the moment I departed. And all of it was professionally done and on time. I was mainly going for the Free-diving and on this note they did not disappoint. I went there with nothing and came away with an AIDA 3 star rating. The free diving instructor Steve was extremely good. His enthusiasm and passion for the sport is infectious. He has an excellent knowledge of the subject and was very good at making sure you understood all aspects of the course. His intuitive knowledge of what the student was experiencing at each phase of the course helped me feel at ease with reaching deeper depths safely and achieving longer breath holds which culminated in numbers I would not have thought possible before. I cannot recommend these guys enough. The climbing and desert trips which I did as extra activities were also extremely pleasant with experienced local guides utilized throughout. One word of warning: If the dive master Interns (yes there is such a thing as diver interns??) ask if you want to go for a quiet drink after work: JUST SAY NO!! :-) An extremely positive experience thought out. I highly reccomend. b.

4  Thank Bobby F
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Finding a new challenge I booked the AIDA ** Free Diving Course at Desert Divers through the internet.
Booking, arrival in SSH and the airport pick up was easy- the growing "village" Dahab after 13 years not being there was a bit surprising me.
Dahab did not change in general, but is on the edge to be too big and overloaded with dive centers, restaurants and souvenir shops.
Anyway, the "Desert Divers" gave us a very warm welcome, staff is helpful and supporting all the time- the prices for diving are very much okay.
We started the free diving course with Steve, who is an experienced and very professional instructor. The course exceeded all my expectations and I am addicted now in apnoe diving.
In between I did some scuba diving sessions at the local shallow spots and enjoyed the beautiful coral reefs and the deep blue water.
Desert Divers are very flexible in planning excursions and to change plans for certain reasons.
All in all it is a very friendly place to stay with relaxed and cooperative staff, assisting customers in any situation!
Furthermore, Bedouin tea is available all the time...:-)

Thank you all, guys, for a week full of new experience and a special gratitude to Steve for the way he gave us an understanding of free diving!

Olli