“Spacious clean rooms, and nothing else”

Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 5 February 2013

The rooms at Sheikh Ali are better than most 5 star hotels you can find in Dahab. Very spacious and clean.

Breakfast is very difficult to comprehend and lacks variety. Even the staff couldn't help me decipher how to order.
I was also unhappy with their management. While settling our payments a night before departure, they gave us a very generous discount; while checking out they exclaimed that same amount discounted was missing from our bill and made us pay it anyways!

Most facilities in the rooms were not working (you have satellite TV that is just not connected, and wireless internet than does not reach the rooms).

In conclusions, i enjoyed my sleep in an AWESOME room, yet nothing in the hotel made it worth staying in beyond sleeping time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mohamed H
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear MohamedHayek,

Thank you for your stay with us, and for sharing your opinion here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed the room standard at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort and found it to be better than most 5 star hotels in Dahab.

On the other hand we regret that you found other parts of our facilities not to meet your expectations. We have actually not received any other comments about the restaurant menu being difficult to understand but we are currently editing the menu for an improved description of the different items.

With regards to your discount we do apologise for the confusion at the time of check out. We would like to mention that a discount is to be considered a gesture and not a right and appreciate your consideration of this. However, we will of course keep our word and happily refund you the difference if you would be so kind and contact us directly.

We also apologise for the inconvenience of erratc internet connection. Due to the heavy rains in the Sinai this winter we have faced problems with our internet connection at times. In cases like this we have dongles available in the office as a back up and wish you had mentioned your internet connection problems immediately at the time of your stay. The same is the case for our satellite TVs; they are all connected and your problems could easily have been rectified in a few minutes if you had just let us know.

We thank you again for your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to a well functioning and problem free stay at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon.

Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort,
Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team

There are newer reviews for Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This was a really relaxing holiday . We were picked up by the hotel driver on time , and driven directly to the hotel , this is much better than waiting for a tour bus and lots of stops .
So good points-

- Rooms nice , almost European standard
- Food , great , chef even opened up early for us when we went early diving
- Location - pefect - away from the noise of masbat but 5 min walk away
- Staff - all very friendly
-Dive centre - german run , very friendly , good bunch of guys and take a ribbing about being "german" in good spirits.
- nice little fridge / freezer in each room .
- Good massage centre

Not so good points
- I'm not a big cat fan , and there's lots of cats around
- The hot water is limited in quantity , but I think this is due to each room having a mini boiler.
- Beds , firm but nice

I' ve been to Dahab many times and stayed in a number of hotels ,this is my favourite by far.
With the two nights free offer its very good value.

Don't look into the bad press Egypt is getting at the moment, the Sini area is very well protected and we saw no trouble ..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank neilcharlton
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear neilcharlton,

Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your pros and cons with other travellers here on Tripadvisor. It is great to know that Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort is your favourite Dahab hotel after your many visits to Dahab.

We are delighted to learn that you found room standards, food, the team members friendliness and the hotels location to be great, with full score on all points in your review. Your positive comments about the dive centre and our massage facilities have been passed on to both teams and they are all sending their regards to you.

We would also like to thank you for pointing out areas where we can improve. Many of the changes and improvements we do are based on feedback from our guests, and we take every point into consideration. With regards to the cats we are unfortunately limited: There are many stray cats in Dahab and some of our guests love them. The team at our dive centre is doing a great job neutering stray cats and keeping them healthy so at least there is an effort put in! We have also noted your comment about the beds being a bit firm to your liking and the hot water supplies to be limited. We will do our best to improve both points within reasonable time.

We would also like to thank you specifically for pointing out that Dahab and the Sinai are safe and protected, despite the media coverage coming out of Cairo at the moment. During the past two years after the Egyptian revolution, we have not been effected in the Sinai and we hope that the international travel community notice that Dahab is located a far distance (approx. 600 km) from the centre of the political unrest. We look forward to welcome old and new Dahab visitors to a safe, relaxing and comfortable holiday spot - as it has always been.

We hope to seeing you again here at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon!

Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort,
Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team

Reviewed 23 January 2013

From our arrival at Sharm airport where we were met by the hotel's prearranged driver and driven straight to our hotel the hospitality of our hosts impressed us day after day. The hotel is beautiful and perfect for exploring Dahab. They put on a lovely meal for us on Christmas night with handmade cards to wish us Merry Christmas made by local Bedouin children. Everything is kept spotless. We have never felt so relaxed in a holiday location. My favourite was to sit outside the restaurant in the evening and watch the night sky paint its magic above the palms. We found the restaurant food excellent. Food is prepared with such tender loving care. No matter what we wanted to eat, or when, it would be made fresh for us. There are plenty of options in the nearby town but we loved the personal service at Sheik Ali. Sunrise and sunset over the backdrop of the desert mountains and beyond the Sea is best seen from the roof. Always beautiful, sometimes spectacular. This was our first trip to Egypt and the team at Sheik Ali have ensured it will be the first of many return visits! We look forward to seeing you again!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the restaurant side seem to have sun all day long. Ones on the other side don't.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mountainlover09
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear mountainlover09
On behalf of us all here at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort for your very first trip to Egypt. We look forward to you seeing you again too!
We are very pleased we were able to give you a wonderful and memorable Christmas and that our hospitality made your stay here very special. To hear that our personal service made you choose our restaurant to dine in as opposed to the many restaurants here makes us very proud of our wonderful chef Hazem.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

It's clean. That is the very first thing I notice about Sheikhali.Having travelled through the night and most part of the day, I was exhausted when I arrived. I was met by Karim with a big smile and he helped me with my bags. He took me to my room and provided me with a mosquito plug in repellent which I thought was a nice touch. I climbed into bed. Ahhhhhh. The bed's are huge, the linen white and clean. I slept soundly for hours..In the morning I awoke fairly late and showered in the wonderful bathroom. Walk in shower, hot water a very clean toilet and very clean sink. I should mention these are all Junior suits so there is an abundance of room.

Breakfast was great. You are presented with several options of toast, eggs, fruit, coffee and a must try - the Bedouin tea. As a single traveller with bad health my reason for choosing this hotel was that is seemed a very close walk to every thing and the good name of the Manager here - Rasha. I was not disappointed. Rasha is a very kind lady who will do her very best to ensure you are happy, infact everyone working here at this hotel has this "nothing is too much trouble" attitude.The hotel is fairly small but very well equipped. I feel this hotel has been very well thought out and executed. Everything is convenient and as it should be.

A very short walk around the back of the hotel to the main Dahab town with it's plethora of restaurants, shops and places to dive - you will never be short of anything to do here. Similarly if you come as I did, just to gain some health and Vitamin D - this is also welcomed. Egyptian's obviously do not celebrate Christmas but this did not stop the hotel putting on a Christmas dinner with the owner and his family singing transitional songs. Much effort was made by Rasha and her team to cook a fabulous dinner a delight of British meets Egypt, and host a wonderful evening.

I have never seen people work so hard. The boys cleaning the rooms, the gardener tending to the gardens, and the pool, and the chef always on call should you want food at any time. Nothing is too much trouble and everything is met with a smile.

One thing about Dahab. If you are an animal lover like myself you will see many stray dogs and cats. There are several charities on Facebook where you can give money to feed and care for them, and have them neutered. The hotel has a new family of cats, a mother and her three kittens who gave me much pleasure and company on my two week stay here. But don't worry if you are allergic to cats. They do not bother you if you do not encourage them and they do not beg at the table but they would be very grateful for the odd treat of a can of tuna from the shop directly behind the hotel at 7p, some fresh water and are happy to play with your discarded bottle top! I will miss them and if anyone else stays at the hotel I would love to hear how they are doing!

I would come back here tomorrow. Infact if finances allowed I would move in! I really enjoyed feeling part of a the Sheikhali family during my stay.

Don't stay away from Dahab. They are need or tourism. Is it safe and everyone is friendly providing you respect the ways of the locals and dress and behave with respect.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have Gardens and rooms on the first floor have balcony's so swings and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear SouthseaAli
We would sincerely like to thank you, on behalf of all the Sheikh Ali team, for your wonderful review of our resort and Dahab itself.
Here at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort we always aim to provide impeccable customer service for all our guests. We appreciate your very kind words about your wonderful experience here.
We are immensely happy that we made your Christmas holiday here very special and that you felt part of ‘our family’ during your stay.
Our very best wishes to you from Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team!

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We have been going to Dahab for diving/snorkelling for years and now that Sheikh Ali resort is open we will be going even more often! The rooms are more like suites - huge, airy, spotlessly clean and cool. The pool is lovely and even with all the rooms full not remotely crowded. All of this is what you would expect so what really makes the place different is the fantastic service. The staff are all friendly and welcoming and it felt like we were old friends. They are always ready to help - for example they sent someone round the corner to buy us cold tonic for our duty-free gin! The hotel is central and walking distance to most of the restaurants and shops. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Helen B
On behalf of us all here at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort we would sincerely like to thank you for your lovely review and recommending us to other fellow travelers.
We always aim to provide our guests with a very high standard of customer service and to us that means making your stay here with us as happy and as comfortable as we possibly can.
We very much appreciate your comments about our fantastic hotel and resort facilities and that this contributed to such an enjoyable holiday here in Dahab.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon!
Our very best wishes to you from Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here in September 2012, for 4 days and it was AMAZING. We arranged airport transportation through the resort prior to coming, and it was great. Our evening flight was late as much as 45 minutes and the driver waited patiently.

Sadly, while visiting Egypt and the Red Sea, tourism dropped off due to the revolution and the ridiculously-offensive video that hit you-tube (from US). The chain of events really hit the local merchants hard, so Dahab was a ghost town. So we did our best to order full courses at restaurants, bought spices, trinkets and things. With that said, my boyfriend and I (San Franciscans) had a wonderful time in Cairo, Luxor and the Red Sea.

The resort is picture perfect, the staff so kind and friendly. The rooms are spacious, bright, immaculate, comfy-large bed, t.v had some english channels, plenty of hot water for showers and a mini fridge. The pool was perfectly chilled. Roof top access to view the incredible sunset behind the ridge-line of mountains on the west, and the spectacular sunrise over Saudi Arabia to the east! Set your alarm for that, it's truly a special moment.

The location is great (literally 5 minute walk though a narrow ally), tucked away from all the late night noise from the street where markets/cafes are. A gorgeous place to stay. I highly recommend it, and if I'm ever lucky to go back to Dahab, I will return there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear CalBear76
On behalf of all the Sheikh Ali Team we would firstly like to thank you for choosing to come all the way to Egypt to stay with us and for writing such a positive review about your wonderful experience both here in Sheikh Ali and in Egypt.
We are very proud that you found our staff kind and friendly and that you enjoyed immensely our spectacular rooftop views. Also thank you for the wonderful photograph of Sheikh Ali showing the beautiful mountain backdrop views here.
Our very best wishes to you from Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I went to Dahab for four days in December and was thoroughly impressed by the lovely rooms, the service provided by the staff and the faultless cleanliness throughout the hotel. The hotel is just off the high street so perfect location for anyone looking to really immerse themselves in the local culture of the shops and stalls - it took me less than five minutes to get from my hotel room to the sea front.
The pool in mid-December was absolutely bone-chilling, far too cold to swim or even paddle (and I'm pretty tough!) but apparently it warms up by January. As the sun disappears behind the mountains in the west quite quickly - by 4pm when I visited - I found that the eight or so sun loungers that actually received any sun (being on the lucky side of the pool!) were in the dark by late to mid-afternoon, but this is hardly something that the hotel can change and it was really dark by 6pm so a good opportunity to go into town to find an early-ish supper preceding either an early-ish night or a long fun evening.
The locals as well as the staff could not have been more friendly but I did wear long linen trousers and loose long sleeved tops as a gesture of respect towards local customs since I was a girl travelling alone; there was a lot of joking banter with the shopkeepers as they used any means to get me to look at their shops but it was all very good-natured - just don't get persuaded to even look at anything unless you really think you want it and don't be afraid to demand lower prices or double check totals! The locals are not charged tourist prices, some try their luck.
The hotel food was very nice and portions were well-sized but it might be worth double-checking your order to make sure that everything will be exactly as you expect - I asked for a calamari salad and stupidly just assumed it would be cooked instead of checking, but that was my fault not the hotel's. I did have a lovely breakfast every day, asked for fresh cut fruit instead of the fruit salad (don't like banana...) and it wasn't the slightest problem. Nothing was too much trouble.
As I said, the staff were just lovely and the beautiful room was great, the area is so amazingly relaxed and the sunrises from the hotel rooftop are spectacular. I can't wait to go back to Dahab. If you want to spend your days lying on a beach though, it might be worth looking at the hotels in the north of the town with private beaches which are probably more expensive but will be slightly more removed from the sometimes exhausting (and maybe for some people, intimidating) hassle of the town. I had a lovely time at Sheikh Ali though, even if it took me several goes to find my way back there from the street!

Room Tip: There were pet cats around the hotel whe I stayed which I didn't mind but the kittens were in an...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank preferanonymity_6
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Preferanonymity_6
We would like to thank you for choosing Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort for your holiday, and for taking the time to write such a positive and detailed review of our hotel.
We are pleased you found the hotel spotless, friendly and good value for money, and appreciate your comment about our customer service. We always aim to provide first class customer service to make all our lovely guests feel welcome and happy during their stay here with us.
Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali, Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team!