“Totally relaxing holiday”
Review of Happy Life Village

Happy Life Village
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Beginning of February we spent a week in Happy Life Village and except for a few trips to Dahab and the mountains we did not leave the hotel. The resort is wonderfully seated between the sea and the mountains and very neat and clean. The sea in front of the hotel is obviously a famous diving spot, but also snorkeling there is amazing. Staff is very obliging and friendly. The room was very simple but clean. The food was good and varied. They also have a "Health center" which offers very nice full body massage, sauna and steam bath (very comfortable after the freezing temperatures at home) We enjoyed our stay very much and plan to go there again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Izzipizzi

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We spent 19 days travelling around Egypt and decided to spend our last 5 days chilling out by the beach. I researched many places in Sharm and didn't like the fact that it's a purpose built tourist resort so I chose Dahab which is a more authentic Egyptian village. Happy Life had great travellers reviews and the price was right so we booked fully inclusive.

I am so glad we chose Happy Life Village - the staff are all wonderful and we had excellent service, particularly from Nazmy (waiter in restaurant), Akram and Marten (pool bars) and Basem (beach bar and shisha bar). The cooks were also great and we had lovely food to choose from at every meal, including an egg station at breakfast where you could choose the ingredients for your omelette or have fried or scrambled eggs. At lunch time and evenings, there's a pasta station where they will personalise a dish to your own tasting. There's always a large selection of sweets and pastries to choose from if you have a sweet tooth.

Going fully inclusive meant that we didn't have to think about price as all our drinks were included and our bill at the end of 5 days came to just 6 Egyptian pounds because I tried a shisha pipe one night. You can have wine with lunch and dinner but not outside these times, but you can order beer, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks and tea/coffee from the bars from 10 am till 11 pm.

Our room was spacious and comfortable and had a safe in the wardrobe. I requested more coat hangers which were brought immediately (only 5 in wardrobe). I took a washing line which came in handy for drying swimwear on the balcony. The bathroom was OK, but the shower head was in a fixed position and soaked the floor if used like that. I found best way to shower without having a swimming pool on the floor was to sit in bath and hold shower to direct it - if you put the plug in, it fills up fairly keeping you warm too. Shampoo and soap was provided and towels changed every day. Beach towels are also provided by the sea which we appreciated. There was no hairdryer which didn't bother me but take your own if you use one. We had a couple of small water bottles which came in handy for refilling at the water stations provided for those on fully inclusive. If you like a big cup of tea or coffee, take your own as cups are quite small. A few guests had taken travel mugs with them and I'd do that next time as queues can develop at the self service hot water station for tea/coffee in the restaurant.

I loved the location of this resort - it had its own private beach and jetty by which to enter the sea without damaging the coral reef which is spectacular. I'm a scuba diver and did one dive with Club Red Sea Dive Centre in Dahab (cheaper than one on site and great service) but to be honest, snorkelling on the resort was actually better so I didn't do any more dives. Many other dive clubs come to this resort to dive here too and the reef is pretty shallow so you see so much from the surface - it's like being in a large aquarium and the colours of fish and coral are vibrant ... it's stunning.

There was entertainment on just one night when we were there and the Egyptian dancers were excellent. It didn't bother us not having more entertainment on because we like peace and quiet, and we also made use of the free bus service into Dahab centre which runs at 12.30 pm returning at 2.30 pm, 6.30 pm returning at 8.30 pm and last bus back is around 11 pm (think these times are right). On the day we dived, we got the 12.30 pm bus (takes around 15 mins) and spent the afternoon there, returning at 8.30 pm.

After our dive and looking around the shops, we spent a few hours at Yalla Bar & Restaurant taking advantage of their 2 or 1 cocktails and the free wifi. I ordered a Chicken Shwerma wrap which was served with chips and salad and it was absolutely delicious. Price for 6 cocktails and 2 meals came to less than £20.

Whilst at Happy Life Village, we went on a 2 hr quad biking trip to the mountains and saw an oasis and White Canyon, then Teto, our guide, took us to Easy Tuwailat Bedouin Camp where we chatted with Bondok (owner) whilst drinking Bedouin tea. If I return to Happy Life, I'll spend a couple of nights at this camp which is very basic but beautifully located in the mountains away from it all. We also went horse riding for 2 hours along the beach coastline which was lovely. This was a new experience for me and I loved every minute of riding Mona Lisa.

Looking at the sea, if you walk to the left there are some very friendly Bedouins who invited us to have tea with them. And every day some young Bedouin girls came to chat whilst we were on our sunbeds, selling jewellery that their mothers had made. Although I didn't want to buy any, I did anyway because they really depend on tourism and we have so much in comparison. I also gave them surplus shampoo, soap and other bits and pieces that I didn't need so if you see them, don't dismiss them - see if you have anything that you can give to them. One of the girls had cut her toe so I went to my room to get some antiseptic wipes and plasters which I gave to her.

So would I return to Happy Life Village? Without a doubt YES! It's a shame that the resort was so quiet because tourists are staying away from Egypt at this time due to the political situation but for us, this is the best time to go. The resort capacity is 700 and there were only 150 people there. Make sure you show your appreciation to the staff and tip them. We read previous reviews so took some Galaxy Hot Chocolate drink and sweets with us and shared them out with those who had given us the best service. Baksheesh (tipping) is a way of life in Egypt and is like an informal welfare system where those who have give to those who haven't got as much, and those who haven't got much give to those who have got even less. We really are millionaires in comparison so budget for tips, even if it means stretching yourself.

One final tip, if you're independent travellers like us, we found it cheaper to book our taxi to the airport in Sharm from Dahab rather from reception. We wanted to have a look at Sharm El Sheik on our way to the airport so booked a taxi from 11 am till 3.30 pm and asked our driver to take us to the Old Camel Market in Sharm (which was like a ghost town when we went) and to Naama Bay where we stopped for a couple of hours and had something to eat before heading to the airport. I'm so glad we didn't choose to stay in Sharm ... not our scene at all.

Room Tip: Our room was ground floor nearest block to the beach with sea view. First floor would have been bet...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DebraSofiaMagdalene
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Just returned from a pre-christmas last minute week in Dahab. This is our 10th time in Egypt and 2nd to Dahab. We chose Happy Life as last time we were in Dahab we heard good reports and in particular the great snorkelling .

We travelled with our two children aged 10 and 7 and the main reason for our trip was to dive and snorkel.

The room we were given was great. Pretty much a suite. Huge lounge area with twin beds for the kids as well as a sofa, armchair and dining table and chairs, plus a large main bedroom, massive balcony and seaview. Other reviewers have mentioned that rooms and the hotel in general looks a bit tired this is true but really irrelevant as it is very clean and we were pleased to have so much space in the room.

Food-very good lots of variety and well cooked. One night they did a seafood night where you could choose which fish you would like they cut pieces off for you and cut calamri rings and you then moved along to the griddle chef who cooked it for you-delicious.Waiters very attentive and helpful always refilling drinks. The wine in particular was actually very drinkable (unusual in Egypt!!) and actually poured from a bottle (again not our usual all inc experience in Egypt).
Didn't hear anyone moaning about upset stomachs and we were all fine.

As it was the week prior to Xmas the hotel was initially very quiet and for a couple of days we were the only English people there. The majority were Germans, Dutch and Russians.

Pools are huge and there are water slides for the kids and shallow segregated areas for the kids too. Tons of sunbeds and we actually had a pool area to ourselves for a couple of days as it was so quiet. The only problem was that they were all unheated (approx 17 degrees freezing!!!) which was a big disappointment for our kids as they couldn't stand the water for longer than a few minutes. We did ask whether they would be heating a pool and the reply was not until next year, bit odd as this is probably the coldest time of year and we have been to Egypt at this time of year and the hotels we have stayed in have always had at least one pool heated.
The weather was pretty good, first couple of days were a bit windy so you did need to get shelter eg the windbreaks on the beach or tuck into a corner by the pool and then it was lovely and warm. Once the wind dropped it was steaming approx 28 degrees -lovely. Does drop at night definitely pack warm clothes for the evening we pretty much wore jeans and hoodies in the evening.

Snorkelling is awesome, excellent reef and a short walk along the beach takes you to an area named the three pools.Loads of beautiful coral and fish. Although the sea was warmer than the swimming pools (approx 22 degrees) I would still advise bringing a wetsuit with you or hire one from the onsite dive shop.Lagona divers are new on site at Happy Life my huband did a few dives with them and said they were a very slick and organised operation and reasonably priced for recreational diving. He did use Poseidon Divers, Dahab for a deep dive course he wanted to do as they were cheaper and he had booked it from the UK plus they did our airport transfers too. Again excellent dive centre and we would use again.
The hotel runs a shuttle bus in to Dahab which takes about 15 mins. Dahab is a nice town much more laid back than Sharm good restaurants most of which you need to bring your own alcohol (shops nearby sell alcohol). Yalla and Ali Baba are good.
We would definitely return to Happy Life but probably not in the winter months as amusing too youngish children without a swimming pool was quite hard work! There is a kids club which looked pretty good but aimed at a very young age group probably 3-6 years. I would recommend this hotel for a quiet and relaxing break and for divers and serious snorkellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if you are travelling with children.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank jrj_8
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I have just returned from a 2 week stay which I booked with Olympus. Olympus did not include transport to the hotel to and from the airport, so I booked a private taxi with Sharm Club, who were there waiting for me on arrival and turned up 5 minutes early to collect me for the flight home. I would certainly recommend them and both drivers drove fast and carefully.

I booked this holiday as I just wanted 2 weeks of peace and quiet and because the all inclusive cost & flight was so cheap. It was just what I wanted only far better than I had expected. The rooms were well cleaned, the sheets were lovely, the bed was hard but I still managed to sleep for 9 hours every night. The heating (air cond) worked wonderfully and the room heated up very quickly once the sun disappeared at 3.20 pm.

In particular, I found the food amazing. I am NOT a big fish eater as it is so dear in the UK but I was eating fish everyday and I never got tired of the food. The staff work extremely hard and the service is great.

I would definitely like to return there for peace and quiet. Had this been a more expensive hotel, then I would have pointed out more deficiences. As someone else said, the rooms could do with a bit of refurbishment, but they were well cleaned and everything worked OK.

Please note that I rarely bother to rate a hotel on the internet, but this was such a bargain, I felt I had to say how pleased I was with this holiday. Most of the other guests were NOT Brits so take loads of books to read by the sea or by the pools.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jlaudcent
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was our second visit to Egypt and an all-inclusive break. After a bit of research we opted for Happy Life Village as it seemed to offer what we were looking for in a winter holiday following our son's wedding, the chance to relax and recharge our batteries.We were not disapponted and certainly agreed the place fitted its name!

We wanted a more isolated resort which still had options. We made use of the free shuttle bus into Dahab, went quad biking out from the resort and thoroughy enjoyed a day out to the white canyons, oasis and coloured canyons.

Time within the resort passed easily, with the beach area and snorkelling an everyday event. Whilst the resort wasn't full, the only time we were really aware of lots of other people was in the dining rooms at meal times.

Our room, whilst basic, was clean and maintained daily, as was the whole resort. We liked the fact each room had its own balcony. There was lots of choice at meal times, with food being cooked to serve. Couldn't fault the quality and, unfortunately, the array of cakes and pastries were too delicious to ignore!! Neither of us experienced any tummy troubles, which must be a first! All staff were extremely hard working, friendly and polite. The 'messages' on our coffee from the guys at the pool bars only made our smiles wider.

Would we recommend Happy Life Village and plan another holiday there? Absolutely 'YES'.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kari68
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Just back from our second visit and found it even better, especially for a 3 star hotel, than last year.
The majority of guests were German, Dutch and Eastern Europeans with only a handful of Brits. Our air conditioned room had TV, fridge and was serviced every day and with fresh towels. We found the reception and all the staff effecient and friendly. They have added a fourth pool at the top of the complex but it was not in use while we were there. However did find the unheated pools quite chilly - but it was November !
Our only concern were the queues in the restaurant not helped by the apparent random layout of the buffet style food area but the food qualtity was even better than our visit last year.
The hotel is very isolated which suited us but there are daily free shuttle buses to Dahab.
The best feature is of course the superb swimming and snorkelling from the small jetty off the beach. The coral reef and variety of fish was again the highlight of our holiday but suggest you bring a wet suit this time of the year if you spend a lot of time in the water.

Room Tip: Rooms near to the lower pool bar could be noisy in the evening. Bring extra coat hangers.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I go there every year and this year it was awesome.I love the workers so much.The rooms,pools,food,water slides are awesome.The safari was awesome.I adore this village and i will come back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family