“Friendly, great staff, fantastic dive school” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bedouin Moon Hotel

The Bedouin Moon Hotel
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, great staff, fantastic dive school”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed here for a week in September, diving with a friend. We thoroughly enjoyed our very reasonably-priced stay at the Bedouin Moon hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were basic but comfortable, and the pool area was very pretty and (mostly) tranquil. It was also nice to be a short cab ride (~£1.50 GBP) from the hustle and bustle of the central Lighthouse area.

As has been said, there's a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere which makes it great for single travellers or small groups. Definitely ask for a sea view room.

I dived with the hotel dive centre, Reef 2000. I'd expected to do a few dives there and then try another dive school, but the instructors Akram, Mo and Kamal were outstanding and Flo in the office was helpful and accommodating, so I ended up diving with them all week. The house reef is absolutely stunning for diving or snorkelling.

Only criticisms would be:

1. Rooms were tidy but in need of a hoover, (but don't come to Egypt if you're a hygiene freak)

2. On two full days of our stay the hotel allowed local ex-pat kids to run riot around the pool, despite protestations from some of the paying guests, which rather undid the air of tranquility that the hotel otherwise exudes.

3. Can't pick up wi-fi in most of the rooms. Also the barman at the pool bar streams (hit and miss) music all day so the bandwidth is limited anyway. They should get some wi-fi repeaters.

4. Beds are quiet hard, but actually slept fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ollie C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Apart from one aspect the Bedouin Moon Hotel met our expectations, a basic hotel with clean facitiies. Our only points of concern revolved around the pool, we arrived on a delayed Thursday flight expecting to have a relaxing quiet day by the pool (see quote from Longwoods web site - this hotel does not cater for children under the age of 12) only to be greeted on the Friday morning by the local kinder garden occupying the pool with 12 screaming toddlers.
Children
Please note that this hotel does not cater for children under the age of 12.
Children's Club: No
Babysitting: No
Children's pool: No

Then in the afternoon another gentleman was pool site with two 10 year old swinging a golf club (No. 1 wood) in the pool with wet hands and sun screen on their hands too, it’s when a projectile came in my direction that I turned into Mr Grumpy and gave him a piece of my mind.

But to top it all, numerous guest asked the pool side bar to turn down the music but we were each told it was other guests that had asked for the music – but all the guest pool side had asked for it to be turn down…

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BEDOUINMOON, Owner at The Bedouin Moon Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Dear MerryChic.
I am happy to hear you were pleased with all the other aspects of the Bedouin Moon.
I can only appologise about the kids at the pool that day. This was a problem that
week because the local schools extended the summer holiday by a week and the local
mums and dads decended on the Pool to entertain the little ones. We have addressed
the issue with the parents and have agreed to limit the number of kids visiting the pool in the future.
We have also, I'm happy to inform you, had a word with the club wielding numpty and have
subsiquently banned all forms of golf around the hotel in general!
We hope to see you back over here again soon at a slightly more adult friendly pool.
Warm regards,
Dave Elgin and the Crew
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have visited Dahab a number of times and this is 100% the best time i've visited. I stayed for a week in the Bedouin Moon and I could stay there for months if possible!

To start it off the taxi was there for us at the airport, got us to the hotel in perfect time to see the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen, which The Bedouin Moon is the only place in Dahab (from what I saw) that this view of the sunset is possible. The beach view rooms were amazing, the pool area was incredible and very well set out. The pool bar was very quick with service and the food was really good as well.

To top it off, the dive centre (Reef 2000) was brilliant, everything they did was done to perfection! I experienced and learnt more in one week than I had done in all the other times i have been diving, visiting the lighthouse, canyon and going on the boat trip which was simply amazing!

The staff are very friendly, always asking you if your happy with what they have given you and the answer was always a yes!

I was also impressed with the quality of the room and the bathroom available in the sea view rooms (also with a balcony to sit and watch the sunset!). It was a simplistic room, but more than enough for what you need for a holiday! Everything about it was just perfect.

I think this was the best holiday I've been on in a very long time. Well actually i know it was! I had an amazing time at the hotel, in the town and also in the water. I would recommend this to anybody, my friends, family even a random stranger! I was very happy with absolutely everything that went on during my time there. I'm going to go back as soon as i can!

Room Tip: 100% try and book a sea view room!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

I spent a week diving here in August, and had a fantastic time! The hotel is basic, but clean and bright. I had a room with a sea view, and it was wonderful to wake up to crashing waves and the sunrise over Saudi Arabia every day. The staff were lovely – very friendly and helpful, getting to know their customers by name – and the general atmosphere created was convivial and sociable. So, for a solo traveller, it was a great find. I was also very impressed with the quality of the hotel's food (this is the first time I have returned from Egypt without a gastro bug!) - the barbecue that they laid on for all the guests one evening was absolutely wonderful! The Reef 2000 dive club is great. Again friendly, helpful staff, and I was very impressed with the professionalism and organisation of everyone there. I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying the extra for a sea view - it's so lovely to wake up to every day...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at the Bedouin Moon Hotel. I've always found the staff very friendly, the rooms very nice and authentic, the showers good, the pool perfect with a fantastic view and the breakfasts delicious, perfect to set you up for a day of scuba diving. They also really make an effort with evening trips of dinner under the stars, pool BBQ's etc as well as offer you advice on anything else you would like to do. I would 100% recommend this hotel for the young and old alike!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at the Bedouin Moon for ten days in May this year and had the most fabulous holiday!! I travelled alone with the intention of doing a bit of diving and a lot of relaxing….and the whole experience far exceeded my expectations. The hotel is a great place to stay whilst in Dahab, being just on the outskirts it benefits the quietness of the desert, bright stars and the breaking waves – with a short taxi journey into town (about £1 each way). The staff are incredibly friendly and not only look after you but treat you as part of the family and the guests are a complete mixture of couples, singles and groups. I booked a sea view room which had a spectacular view across to Saudi, and was kindly upgraded by Dave the owner (for the latter part of my stay) to try one of the brand new rooms which had just been finished. The room was set in a traditional domed villa which has been tastefully decorated in complimentary colours and furnishings with great attention paid to the detailing. The bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling with huge walk-in shower and atmospheric lighting creating the feel of a boutique hotel. As I understand it, the plan is to gradually introduce this style throughout the entire hotel and on-going improvements are underway. I cannot praise the Bedouin Moon enough…and to top it all, the hotel diving school ‘Reef 2000 Dive Club’ lives up to its reputation as one of the best diving schools in Dahab and the region. The standard of diving, instruction, equipment, courses on offer and general facilities are superior. When choosing this hotel on Trip Advisor, I read the reviews extensively. I chose to listen to the positive comments over the negative – as these far outnumber the latter – which was the best choice I could have made. I find the few negative remarks on this site small minded, unjustified and ultimately damaging to this wonderful business. If you are looking for a holiday where you will experience a real taste of Sinai, Bedouin culture, some of the best/snorkelling diving in the world and the genuinely warmest hospitality then you will not be disappointed. Even though I have travelled extensively, I had one of the best holidays of my life. A million thanks to everyone at the Bedouin Moon and Reef 2000. I plan to come back very soon!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mainwaringm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I've just got back from a weeks stay at the Bedouin Moon Hotel and would happily hop on a flight back out there tomorrow and repeat the experience all over again! The staff are all extremely friendly and welcoming to everyone staying at the hotel and always happy to help with ordering taxis, offering advice on where to go in town, arranging easy airport transfers and cooking up a storm in the kitchen with fresh pancakes and omelettes just some of the breakfast offerings.

The hotel is in a perfect location from which to explore all that Dahab has to offer whilst simultaneously providing a peaceful sanctuary when needed from the hubbub of town with serene scenery provided by the surrounding mountains and a private beach on your doorstep. You will while away many a happy hour by the pool listening to one of Mostafa’s many fantastic playlists and sipping on your favourite tipple.

Bedouin Moon also caters to your diving and snorkelling needs as well with Reef 2000 Dive Club next door offering you the chance to explore the underwater world of the Red Sea- not to be missed!! However, I challenge anyone to sit through the safety video without chuckling!

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Bedouin Moon and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting Dahab, whether they are going for the diving, rest and relaxation, sun and swimming, drinking and dancing or a mix of them all!

Thanks to everyone at the hotel and Reef who made this a trip I will never forget and one that I’d definitely like to repeat!

Room Tip: There are a wide range of rooms on offer to meet all needs- you get what you ask and pay for.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends