“Made Very Welcome at Bedouin Moon and Reef 2000”

The Bedouin Moon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Bedouin Moon, although a very basic hotel, needing a coat of paint, made us all feel so welcome. The staff are particularly friendly, especially Mohamed on reception, the great chef (pancakes are delicious) and the staff in the dining room. The pool area is excellent, situated at the top of the hotel, so as well as the stunning views of the reefs and Dahab, there is also a welcome breeze.
Reef 2000, the dive school, who are attached Bedouin Moon are a very professional and friendly group. We had Mo as our guide and he made the whole week very special for the four of us. He was a very safe, but relaxed guide, who only wanted us to get the best out of the week. He took us to dive the Canyon, during the day, at night and at dawn, to experience the dive at different times. None of us will ever forget the night dive, it was awesome! Would recommend reef 2000 for their safety and their friendliness.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Bedouin Moon Hotel

Reviewed 22 October 2011

This really is a friendly and welcoming hotel, where solo travellers should feel very confident about staying and families/couples are equally catered for. The rooms are not luxurious but perfectly comfortable and the staff could not do more for you. The dive centre is next door, which I would strongly recommend you use, and the pool is beautiful with views of the sea and the mountains. It all makes for a special holiday.......go see for yourself ;)

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Just got back from my first trip to Dahab having been to Sharm for several years. The town and the hotel are a step back in time to a less commercialised time. The hotel rooms are dated and well worn but they have comfortable beds and air-con so who cares about a lick of paint.
Externally it is in good shape with a small but adequate pool.
The service however is a delight. Mohamed on reception (I think he sleeps there) could not have done more to make us welcome and put right any problems we had. The chef is very good as is his food and the breakfast service. Everyone makes the guests welcome and they are equally friendly to each other. A traditional dive hotel where you can enjoy a post dive beer or two. I would happily go on my own.
As divers my party enjoyed having Reef 2000 adjoining the hotel. Must have been 10 yards from breakfast to the kit room. The dive staff (drivers, guides, equipment staff and reception) are very competent, efficient and great fun. They achieved the perfect balance between safety and good humour. I would recommend them for anyone from those wishing to start diving to those with more experience.
The diving is superb and the guides know them where and when to go and when not to.
My party were so glad we were let down by our regular hotel in Sharm - we will return hopefully to Sharm in the future but only to take the road to the Bedouin Moon in Dahab.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2011

As a woman in her 40s who always had a dream to dive, but was travelling alone in an Arab country, the Bedouin Moon was the perfect choice and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in a similar position. Being a smaller hotel, it felt like the staff genuinely cared that I was OK and having a good time, without being over organised or feeling awkward that I was on my own. The facilities are basic and clean, but for me, that was part of the experience of staying in a Bedouin town but with the advantage of staying in a 'safe' English run hotel. The odd camel strolling past certainly added to the novelty!! If you want a 'stay by the pool, 'all inclusive', night club' type holiday the Moon is probably not for you, but if you want a genuine experience among genuine people, I can't think of anywhere better. I feel like I stayed with friends

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I came to the Bedouin Moon as a solo traveller with a diving course planned with Reef 2000, the adjoining dive centre, for the week I was there. The hotel is really pretty and has a beach right outside from which you can dive or snorkel their house reef.

The hotel staff were all friendly, helpful and would do anything to make your stay enjoyable. They remembered our names and room numbers and all came to wave us off when it was time to leave for home.

The breakfasts were tasty, and the lunch/dinner menu is fine as well, and cheap!

I stayed in a standard mountain view room. The rooms are small and basic but all seemed to have a fridge and air conditioning. Don't expect luxury, as they aren't immaculate, they aren't luxurious, but I was perfectly happy with mine as were most of the people I met. One recommendation is to bring insect repellant, I got bitten to death during the night.

The hotel has free wifi which you can get with no problem in the restaurant and pool, but I struggled a little in my room. I could get it fine on the balcony but it was hit or miss whether I could connect inside my room.

This hotel is perfect for divers, there are so many fantastic diving sites pretty much on the doorstep, and I would highly recommend Reef 2000 diving centre.

I travelled on the solo divers week with Longwood Holidays and was a bit apprehensive as a female travelling alone. I was really pleased to find all the the staff and other guests at the hotel to be friendly and have returned home with a load of new friends. Would highly recommend this hotel for solo travellers or couples, or groups of friends.

1  Thank KKS1983
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Well that's now my 3rd visit to the Bedouin Moon and Reef 2000 Dive Centre, if that's not a recommendation in it's own right I don't know what is.
I love the place, the hotel is, as most reviews have pointed out, not immaculate, it's not filled with marble and it doesn't have the worlds largest pool. However, what it does have in bucket loads which (I nearly put most) ALL of the posher more grander hotels don't have is character and atmosphere. The staff are always polite and helpful and will always go the extra mile for you at any time of day or night.
Most of the rooms are basic, some of the refreshed rooms are lovely. They (all rooms) are air conditioned and have fridges, lights and sockets. The beds I know from experience can be hit and miss, I've had hard and I've had soft but after a full days diving, some good food from either the hotel or down town Dahab and a couple of drinks, I'd sleep on a razor blade!
All are on suite as you'd expect and these are completely clean, functional and cleaned daily. Each room has a balcony and depending on your choice have a sea view or a view of the beautiful mountains behind the hotel, even some of these you can actually see the sea from.

The pool is a lovely spot with cracking views, ok it's not the biggest in the world but it's location more than makes up for it's size in my opinion. Yes there were some issues with the pool not feeling as though it was for the hotel residents on a couple of days during this holiday but having spoken to Dave (who has commented on another review) I truly believe this has been addressed and resolved satisfactorily.

All in all, I'd say the sum total of this hotel is that it's a cracking place to stay, particularly if you're a diver but equally if you're more in to yoga or snorkeling or even just wanting to unwind from the day to day stresses of work. Would I go back? hell yes!

As for Reef 2000 and the diving, what a well run set up it is, the guides as stated below are brilliant, the instructors are excellent and they cater for the complete novice (and even scared silly) to Tech divers wanting to make the most of some excellent dive sites such as the Canyon and the Blue Hole (not I hasten to add that you can't enjoy these dive sites as a novice, they are perfectly safe when treated with respect and within your limits.) The house reef (when diveable) is also stunningly beautiful and there are plenty of other excellent shore dives in the area too. There's also an option for a couple of boat dives every Wednesday too.

Solo travelers are made more than welcome, due to the size of this hotel and the general friendliness both around the hotel and the dive centre you probably won't be by yourself for very long, unless you want to of course and Longwood Holidays actually run "solo" holidays for those that, for what ever reason, wish/need to travel alone but not by themselves.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Returning to the Moon for a couple of weeks is always one of my great pleasures. Ranging from the the relaxed atmosphere to fabulous Egyptian food, diving and as much sun as you could want. If you are a diver the house reef is a must. Looking forward to my next trip already!!

Room Tip: Sea Views for awesome sunrises and sunsets