The hotel isn't constructed to developed world standards (door frames aren't quite square, the steps aren't exactly the same size etc). It is also a bit tatty, with some loose / chipped tiles, cracked paintwork etc. However, for the price it is comfortable, the staff are friendly, and the breakfast, nutritious and satisfying, if basic. I have stayed here twice now and would stay again.
On my second stay in December the mosquitoes were out in force in Dahab and made trying to fall asleep a bit miserable. The hotel isn't adequately protected against them (there was a screen door on the toilet window only, and only one bed in a twin room was protected by a mosquito net) so you will need to deal with them if you stay here when mosquitoes are active. After getting bitten for two days, I found the below strategy to be effective in minimising bites.
1) Use a plug in repellant (insecticide based) during the day.
I picked one up in a pharmacy for 25 Egyptian Pounds. This device halved the number of mosquitoes in the room.
2) Use a knock down spray on the remaining mosquitoes before sleeping. These sprays are available everywhere in Dahab and also provided by the hotel.
3) Put on some insect repellant (also easy to find in local pharmacies)
4) Wear long sleeved clothes (if you can get outdoors / adventure clothes impregnated with permethrin even better)
5) Turn on the A/C whilst sleeping. For some reason, after the A/C was turned on, the mosquitoes would get noticably agitated, and land less frequently.
I found doing the above would minimise bites. Although the above seems a bit convoluted, the construction standards meant there were plenty of gaps for the mosquitoes to infiltrate the room, necessitating multi-layered protection. For instance, without using the knockdown spray, mosquitoes would buzz incessantly, making falling asleep difficult, even if you knew you were protected by the repellants and long clothes. If you don't use the repellants and don't wear long clothes, just using knock down spray on the mosquitoes in the room, more will infiltrate the room after you fall asleep and get you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bedouin Moon Hotel lies just north of Dahab bay in a stunning location where the Sinai Mountains seem to kiss the sea. You can watch the lazy, wind-ruffled waves lap the shore from any of our sea-view rooms or from the front terrace, where a buffet breakfast (lunch and dinner too if you wish) are served. All our rooms are en-suite, with air conditioning and boast unrivalled sea views across the Gulf of Aqaba or inspiring mountain landscape views. The hotel hosts a relaxed, comfortable feel and among other facilities you will find our stunning secluded swimming pool surrounded by colorful desert gardens, where you can sit back, have a drink and enjoy the best views in Dahab. Our facilities include REEF 2000 DIVE CLUB, a PADI 5* Golden Palm Resort and IANTD Technical Instructor Training Facility, who can cater for snorkellers and divers of any level. We also host yoga classes and yoga teacher training courses as well as massage therapy. Our international menu offers a delicious array of food that can be enjoyed in the restaurant or the pool bar. Free wireless internet is available throughout the hotel. Wind- and kitesurfing, desert trekking, boat and camel safaris can be arranged. So let's fly you to the Moon …..! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Bedouin Moon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bedouin Moon Hotel
- Bedouin Moon Dahab