“Fabulous place,very helpful team”
Review of Dive Urge

and 1 more site!
Dive Urge
Ranked #1 of 28 Dahab B&B and Inns
Badminton, United Kingdom
“Fabulous place,very helpful team”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We went to Diveurge to learn to dive and had a fantastic time. Everyone there was very welcoming and helpful. Ahmed was a great instructor very patient and instilled lots of confidence,ably assisted by Kimberley.
Very peaceful place to chill as well as the amazing diving... I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Wonderful location, friendly, easy-going staff, good food, excellent diving instructor, good principles on ecology and protecting the environment. I found Dive Urge through the Responsible Travel website (http://www.responsibletravel.com/) and the reviews did not disappoint. My instructor - Ahmed - was incredibly patient and all the staff were extremely encouraging when I could not get to grips with the diving on the first day. I felt that they were all interested in my progress even if they weren't directly involved in the training, which gave a really nice vibe to the place. Their help and excellent instruction meant that I still got my certificate and have a new love for diving. The rooms are clean and spacious, the view over the sea in the morning a delight, sipping Egyptian tea by the fire pit in the Bedouin area is an excellent place to kick back after a dive. Riding a camel into the mountains to spend New Year's Eve in a Bedouin camp with the family and staff as well as other guests was lovely, relaxed and highly recommended - what more could you want?

Room Tip: We had a sea view twin room and it was lovely. The local cats can get a bit rowdy at night, but not...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Vienna
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Just returned from a nice week in Dahab with Dive Urge. While completing my AOWD, had a chance to dive several of the classic Dahab shore-dive sites including Bells/Blue Hole, the Islands, the Canyon and Eel Gardens. Also, took a day trip to Gabr El Bint on an excellent chartered boat called the Ghazala 6 that was organised by the hotel.

In order to put my comments in context, I am a middle aged American gent who has been a long-time resident in Europe and only have a modest 20 dives under my belt (though I only started in April!).

Some thoughts:

1. The dive sites - as I mentioned above, the Dahab sites are mostly accessible from shore in the Dahab area. They mainly involve a short walk in full kit along the shore and often,
out across the reef to the entry points. This walk can be challenging in the surge but is not overwhelming. I would recommend getting the sturdiest booties available to handle the walk. The quality of the coral and fish life in all of the sites was excellent. My favorite was probably the Bells next to the Blue Hole. Emerging from the entrance is like entering a cathedral of coral...awe inspiring. These sites are all quite heavily dived and at least
on one occasion we had a traffic jam at a junction in the coral where we waited for another group of divers to pass. Even so, I did not find the numbers of divers to
be terribly disruptive. I guess there must be some impact on the fish from this traffic, but there were plenty of them around anyway.

2. Dahab - Dahab has three sections: the town where the bedouins/egyptians live which is ratty in the extreme. The main waterfront where the cheaper hotels and
the restaurants are and a more spread out area where the nicer hotels are. We spent most of our time in the welcoming bosom of Dive-Urge but wandered out on to the sea front to eat
some meals and took a couple of forays into the actual town. The population is a mix of Bedouin/Egyptian locals, tourists and a funny residue of long term European residents who seem to be ex and not so ex hippies and other expatriated souls. At no time did Dahab seem dangerous. The food is pretty good though I did get a mild GI infection which seems to affect Western travelers to Egypt. In fairness, the tourist restaurants do not seem to be
making huge numbers of people ill nor did Food Urge which is as good as any restaurant in town. Speaking of Food Urge, Bakar knows how to do an excellent grilled snapper!

3. Dive-Urge - The hotel / dive center is located an easy 10 minute stroll down the waterfront close to the bedouin/Egyptian part of town. It is owned by an Egyptian/English family that has a firm foot in both cultures. The ambience is family, relaxing and friendly. It is adminisitered by a lovely lady from Nottinghamshire name Kimberly who is enormously helpful. The room where my buddy and I stayed was modest (and modestly priced). The diving area was well organised and the rental gear was good (though not new). The diving operation is run by a capable Divemaster named Ahmed who seems to become a generally beloved figure to his clients (and became to me). I recommend the place highly if you are looking for a relaxing place to learn to dive or improve your skills. I am not sure it is a place that typically provides much Tech diving support though I am sure they would be able to help arrange. I had a great time during my week!

One tip: if you plan to do a course, for goodness sakes do the e-learning ahead of time. That will save you from lots of studying and video work
on your trip. There is too much other interesting stuff to do to be stuck with that!

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank CalvinVienna
Lynne G, Front Office Manager at Dive Urge, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your holiday at Dive Urge. Glad you had such a great holiday and hopefully see here again sometime.

Best Fishes

><}}}*>
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Can't thanks all of the staff enough, both the resort staff and our dive leader, Mahmoud, all where perfect for my wife and I.
The accommodation was clean spacious and very relaxing was all so welcoming felt more like staying with friends.
A first time diving in Egypt and Dive Urge offered a peaceful relaxing get away, nicely situated away from the busy main town but still easily close enough if you felt like a quick stroll into town.
As for the diving good thorough briefings and explanations, from Mahmoud and who also went beyond what I expected and took the time to help sort my air consumption which has always been high while diving so that by the end i was outlasting my wife.
The diving itself was excellent spectacular marine life and great visibility and warm water
To cap it all they also seem to take their responsibility to the environment seriously, we really could not recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
hereford
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was our second time at Dive Urge. ONE HOUR after we got home last year we booked again, same rooms,same time of year. Could the return trip live up to it? Yes. It was even better. We saw people who had been there the year before so we are clearly not the only ones who come back!
Family group two teenagers (17 and 14) and two adults.
Rooms are lovely. Very clean , basic but nicely decorated, fridge and quiet air con in room. Free reliable WiFi throughout. Good showers. Views of either Garden or sea. Lovely garden area with hammocks for reading books /chilling and two bedouin areas ( cushions and rugs on floor to sit and chill/write up dives/do lessons)
Food is brilliant. Bakar the chef makes home made bread for wraps and dips. Lovely salads. We started choosing from the menu but Bakar will ask if you want him to make you a special. I would definately advise this. We had delicious barbequed chicken, bedouin fish, beef Tagen ( like a tagine). Last year we ate at other places in Dahab as well as Dive Urge, this year we just ate at Dive Urge. Excellent food, no tummy troubles and very reasonable - despite our teenagers insatiable thirst for home made vanilla milk shakes and fresh mango juice.
The staff are all superb. Nothing is too much trouble. Most speak good English. Most are Egyptian- apart from the extremely lovely and efficient Kimberly. They feel like friends by the end of your week and you feel they really want you to have a perfect holiday.

Now the Diving.
Main thing is the tiny group size. 4 people maximum. So for us as a family of 4 it was just us and a Dive Instructor/Dive Master
Superb. Three of us did the Advanced open water. I already had it so joined in with the dives. All transport to dives is included with regular drivers who also want you to have a great time.
Safety is paramount at Dive Urge and you get a thorough Scuba Review as mandatory ( but only a small supplement on top of cost of a normal dive) We had Ahmed for 5 of our diving days and Mamdou for 1 day. Again , totally customer focussed and will tailor your dives to what you want to do. One daughter had sinus trouble and Ahmed and Mamdou were wonderfully patient and reassuring. Ahmed is a very special person. Friendly, safe, knowledgeable, inspires great confidence and brilliant with children/teenagers. I have so much respect for him. He knows the dives very well and gives a thorough dive briefing explaining where currents could potentially be. He also seems to know when the peak diving times are and ensured we left early enough to be the ONLY people in Bells - Blue hole drift dive. Even later on he timed /planned our second dive at blue hole so we were largely alone for our dive.
He was keen for us to do Eel garden as a night dive. Most places will take you to Lighthouse where there are literally up to a hundred divers in separate groups on some nights. By going to Eel Garden we were the only people on the whole dive site ( entry within 50 yards of Dive Urge) It was a truly magical dive. With no other divers it was very dark and the bioluminescence was incredible. Then we emerged from the water into the beach side restaurant of Dive Urge - felt very cool. The Boat trip to Gabr El Bint is also a must, The diving here is superb with crystal waters and again less people. Highlight fish wise was seeing a school of 23 Milk Fish ( tourist sharks) swimming around a sandy lagoon and a ball of barracuda at the Blue Hole. Highlight dive wise - very hard to choose but night dive eel gardens, Bells-Blue Hole , Islands and Gabr El Bint. ( Impossible to choose between)

Kimberly is efficient and friendly and go's the extra mile to ensure everything runs smoothly and you fit in everything you need. She also accompanied us on a feew dives as our 14 year old could only dive to 21 metres and we all wanted to do the Bells - Blue hole deep dive.

At the end of our week, the Taxi arived and at least 2 of us were in tears at leaving . Staff come and wave you off. Bakar made us wraps to eat at the airport. We dont want to leave it a whole year this time before we return.

Thanks Dive Urge for a very special holiday.
The Williams Family xx

Room Tip: Up to you. Rooms overlooking sea are lovely and you can hear the waves lapping as you wake up but ca...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank munchersly
LynneDiveUrge, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
It is so nice to have guests who return over and over again to us here in Dahab. We loved having you and your family here again and hope to welcome you next year.
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have just returned from a ten day trip to Dahab and to Dive Urge. I came across Dive Urge when I was looking for somewhere to learn to dive in Dahab and knew immediately it was the place for me. It is located at one side of the bay meaning it's quieter than some of the other dive centres (although its only a ten minute walk into the centre) and is all about responsible travel. The centre is family run and the staff are all so welcoming that it felt like a home away from home almost immediately. The accommodation was lovely and there are so many little areas to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Whilst I was out there I completed my open water and advanced open water courses which I cannot recommend more highly. Ahmed, my diving instructor, was so patient and you can see how much he loves diving which makes it all the more exciting for you. I totally fell in love with Dahab, Dive Urge and the Rea Sea so I'll definitely be back! :)

Room Tip: I had a sea view room which was beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mackay124
nottingham
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I love this place, one of the best beachside locations in dahab; beautiful diving and snorkelling on your doorstep, very friendly, family run and owned. One of my favourite places is in the oasis of a garden, swinging lazily in a hammock. A friendly member of the staff crew will then bring you what your heart desires - within limits, of course. Having a garden is so much nicer than having a pool, after all its literally a spit away to the sea while green and shade are at a premium!

The rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely done up, the food's very yummy. I think this is my favourite snorkelling site in Dahab, wind conditions permitting. Basically its the kind of place you want to go back to - think this will be my 4th visit!

hope my room's ready.......

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bee s
LynneDiveUrge, Front Office Manager at Dive Urge, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
At Dive Urge we are very proud of the fact that over 80% of our customers make repeat visits to our Diving Resort. We call these customers 'Urgers'.

Dive Urge is a boutique, PADI 5* Gold Palm Resort in Dahab, Red Sea, which has been
established for 10 years now.

Family owned and family run, we are committed in providing a home from home environment that is great for guests to relax in. We offer beachside accommodation, a beautiful garden with swinging hammocks, a private beach and restaurant it would be impossible not to feel peaceful here.

Part of the unique service we offer is a the maximum diving ratio of 4:1 (divers to PADI professional).

We have been successful in creating a very special customized Dive Holiday experience. We are here for those people who are looking for something off the beaten track and feel they
deserve some personalized service. We are here, basically, for anyone not wanting an en- masse holiday experience.

We've got the Urge. Have you?