“Ticked all the right box's, again.”
Review of Dive Urge

Dive Urge
Ranked #1 of 28 Dahab B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have just returned from my 2nd visit to dive-urge and again it tick's all the right box's.
This trip I was with my wife who, although a qualified diverr, hadn't dived for 2yrs.
I was confident after diving on an earlier visit with Ahmed that he would see her safely through her scuba review session and give her the confidence to go under the wave's again.
We were not disappointed.
he was patient with Amanda and took her through the scuba review question's step by step, then in the water, explaining and demonstrating the exercise's he wanted to perform. The outcome was that once the scuba review was over and we proceeded with the dive I had a very confident dive buddy for the rest of the holiday.
Dive-urge itself has still maintained the high standard's that it's many returning guest's have come to expect, it is clean, well maintained and cared for, with staff that will do everything possible to make your stay an absolute pleasure.
My wife say's to mention that the wonderful, freshly made pancakes she had for breakfast every day, in the sunshine, on the beach were the best way to start the day she can think of.
Me, I recommend the omelettes.
We ate at Dive-urges restaurant, food-Urge, 5 night's and everything we tried was superb, again the seafood platter was exceptional.
Dive-Urge is a lot quieter than it should be at this time of the year, as is Dahab in general because of this, in my opinion, ridiculous security warning in place. So come-on, if you want to try a holiday in Dahab, now is a good time to visit, stay at Dive-Urge and you won't be disappointed..
Hopefully we will get back again this year.
Best wishes to everyone at Dive-Urge, see you soon.

Room Tip: the sea view rooms maybe just a little bit bigger with windows that look out towards the sea but may...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

We love that you brought your wife here to enjoy the Dive Urge experience, and so glad you both enjoyed it, look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Before travelling back to Dive Urge in Dahab for my 4th visit I was aware of the media coverage and Foreign Office advice regarding all but necessary travel in Egypt. I was also aware of the posts and reviews online from visitors to Dive Urge reporting how unnecessary this advice is and how safe they felt. So if I am honest it was with a smidgen of anticipation that my partner and I hopped off the aircraft at Sharm and made our way into arrivals.

We were greeted immediately with the welcoming smile of Coco from Dive Urge and that was the last we saw of any concerns regarding our safety. Arriving at Dahab and the entrance to Dive Urge always has a feel of a family reunion rather than traditional holiday 'check-in' and that is at the very heart of the Dive Urge ethos.

I obtained my Advanced and Rescue qualifications at Dive Urge and believe that the quality of training, excellent facilities and considerate attitude towards sustainability and the environment have made me the confident diver that I am today. Plus there is the small fact that all of this is packaged within some of the best Dive sites worldwide so you will understand why there was no other choice when choosing somewhere to introduce my partner to diving and her Openwater qualification. It was a decision that was absolutely right in every way.

The facilities are still exceptional, the accommodation and dive club surroundings are immaculate, the training (thanks to Mamduh) was impeccable and the whole team at Dive Urge are just the most wonderful, caring and helpful people you could hope to share your holiday experience with.

Once again my diving with Ahmed was just wonderful. Despite living in Dahab for many years and diving the same sites on many occasions his passion and excitement during each and every dive is thoroughly contagious and despite my many attempts to spot something exciting before him I failed every time as he pointed out creatures great and small with rapid fire. I have to say that my final Dive with him at the Lagoon (Ras Abu Gallum) was one of the highlights of my diving career and left me in shear awe at the beauty and magnificence of diving in this area with an instructor who has the knowledge, passion and nature of Ahmed.

It is for all of these reasons that the current foreign office advice to avoid travel to areas including Dahab is not only an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction to recent events and completely unjustified but it is proving to be devastating to the local economy and community. For a town that should be reaching its prime season for tourism it felt unnaturally quiet and speaking to local shop owners and locals the consequences of the Foreign Office advice are hitting the town hard. Walking through the streets of Dahab at night I felt and knew that I was safer than making the same journey back home in West London.
In my mind the logic behind this decision feels equivalent to advising against travel to Devon based on troubles in Northern Ireland. Incidents being reported in the media are not a direct threat to Dahab visitors any more than areas such as Sharm which the foreign office ironically deems as safe. I would like to suggest that those responsible for publishing such advice at the Foreign Office pop across to Dahab to experience the threat for themselves but would need to add my own words of caution to them before they make the journey. Be very careful when visiting this town as you are almost certain to experience beautiful culture, wonderful food, friendly locals and all of this packaged in a safe and welcoming environment that feels a home from home.
It is that sense of homeliness that made it, once again, a sad moment when leaving Dive Urge on the last day. My partner is now a new addition to the Dive Urge family who I miss very much and would like to thank each and every individual for their wonderful hospitality and yet again providing me with memories and experiences that I will cherish forever.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Many thanks for your kind comments, my favorite of which was "Dive Urge always has a feel of a family reunion rather than traditional holiday 'check-in' and that is at the very heart of the Dive Urge ethos "

Reviewed 24 April 2014

What a fantastic place to learn to dive! Brilliant instructor, very patient and very thorough. Wonderful food and service!Lovely small family run hotel, directly on the beach, The owners take a personal interest in their guests and a dinner in the mountains is included in the bed and breakfast price as is bottled water. I will be going back! Please watch Dahab Happy video on youtube and know how warm and safe it is.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but i will take a plug in mosquito zapper next time
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Loved having you and your son here. The Dahab Happy Video you recommended (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRJKKHNueI) really shows how safe Dahab is. Looking forward to a return trip soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I had an amazing time with Duve Urge - a beautiful setting, excellent diving and the staff are so friendly and helpful, they can't do enough for you. It is such a shame that people are staying away from Egypt, particularly Dahab, because of what they have read in the media and in travel advice. Not once did I feel unsafe and I really don't understand where the media and travel advisors are getting their information from because people truly are missing out on such a magical place! I will definitely be returning to Dahab and Dive Urge this year and probably more than once

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank JennieWren03
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

The negative travel advise for this area is now becoming a joke and thanks to you for this positive comment, i think it is clear that it is for no real reason at all to not come and enjoy your holiday here in Dahab.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

First of all I'm aware that people might be put coming to Dahab due to the security advisory from the UK Foreign Office about south Sinai. Ignore that - the incident that caused it was 200km away near the Israeli border. Dahab is a) perfectly safe, and b) everybody is extremely friendly and helpful. I felt entirely safe wandering about, even along the beach at night. They also looked after me brilliantly when I got stranded an extra day by torrential rain and couldn't get to the airport

Onto Dive Urge - they were recommended to me by a friend, and I'm extremely glad she did. I've never dived Dahab before and didn't know what to expect, but they advised me beforehand in terms of gear, wetsuit thickness etc perfectly.

Turned up - collected from the airport, looked after brilliantly. Staff could not have been more helpful and treated me like family - literally nothing was too much trouble. I dived all week with Ahmed - possibly the most patient & ever-cheerful instructor/guide in the world! Everything dive related was handled seamlessly.

The rooms are basic but well appointed & comfortable - exactly what's required on a dive holiday. There's plenty of chill out areas as well and you're right next to the beach. Food is the same - simple but well cooked - I ate breakfast there every day and a few lunches and dinners.

If you want a relaxed, friendly but professional dive lodge this is the place to stay in Dahab. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thanks for reassuring the UK public that Dahab is perfectly safe and that the FCO warning seems moot here, yet still destructive in its effects, lets fight for this amazing town to recover, enough is enough.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was our 3rd trip with Dive Urge so we knew the quality of the service & the accomadtions which were very good. The one d.ifference on this trip is I had become a diving with limited mobility. I let them know before arrival and they made sure I was as close to the resturant & dive locker as well as ground floorRoom. Dive Urge Food worked with my diet as I was on meds and almost everything upset my stomach. Between the cook & waiter they figured out something good every day.
The big surprise was the diving part. The dive locker staff would not allow me to carrymy gear & assisted with washing it everyday. DM's -Mando & Ahmad, took care of me by walking into the water then going back for my gear where they helped me in getting on. Then same on exit. The Bedouin Drivers carried gear to waters edge, sometimes wading out to assist. I was very impressed with the service given with a smile. I not sure I have the proper words to say Thanks & give enough praise to Dive Urge.
since returning home,I have had one knee replaced and am rehabing to where I can have the second one replaced. Then it will be time to think of another Trip to Dahab with DIVE URGE.
Thanks again.
My brother posted serveral weeks ago "OAKBARN"

Room Tip: Garden rooms are quiet and close to resturant.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mcrtex
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

We love to help anyone who has limited mobility to still enjoy their diving here, and we love that you appreciated it. Big love to you and your brother on your 3rd visit, see you soon for a 4th visit.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had such an enjoyable holiday at Dive Urge and are very grateful for all the wonderful hospitality from the team of friendly staff - we felt thoroughly looked after with everything perfectly organised for us. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt like one of the family. It was a perfect little 'bubble' for my husband and I to relax for a week.

Dive Urge is in a great location on the beach with plenty of space to lounge around in the sun or shade. They also offer very tasty food all day (our favourites were shakshouka and pancakes for breakfast) and we really enjoyed the dinner in the mountains around a fire under the stars (which is included in accommodation price). Rooms are very clean with constant hot water and free wifi/laundry service. It is also only 10-15 min walk along the waterfront into town if you want to explore more of the laid back restaurants and cafés.

Ahmed our diving instructor was excellent - he was very supportive, friendly and explained everything very clearly. We went diving every day and had a really enjoyable time doing a refresher dive, our advanced open water course, plus a few fun dives - including the blue hole, canyon, eel garden, lighthouse and also managed to muster up the courage to try a night dive. The coral reefs are so beautiful and teeming with sea life - there are so many other dive sites we didn't have time to try, so hopefully we can try them next time! On returning from each dive, Nesimi was always there to greet us with a cheery smile and pot of hibiscus tea (my new addiction!) and sometimes a open pit fire to warm us up when needed.

We would thoroughly recommend Dive Urge to anyone who is looking for a laid back diving holiday and enjoys small family run B&Bs. Thank you to everyone at Dive Urge - we hope you have a successful year ahead and hopefully see you again soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireTyler79
Lynne G, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments especially " We would thoroughly recommend Dive Urge to anyone who is looking for a laid back diving holiday and enjoys small family run B&Bs" and hope you can both come for longer next time.